Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So when you didn't play Risen 2, you don't know that firearms in Risen sucked balls.

Kanedias

Savant
Yeah, guns, "fast paced combat" and large groups of enemies in some screenshots make me somewhat skeptical.

I am actually excited about the "fast paced combat" because I always thought going with no shield was the right way to play the Souls games, or at least, the playstyle that makes the combat system feel better. I remember my first playthrough of Dark Souls 1 I cheesed too many things with a shield, because their stability was too high. You could just advance slowly, shield raised, and it was a very safe playstyle. Not many enemies can punch through shields. I even killed Artorias and Manus that way.

This is a bit better in Dark Souls 2, because 100% physical resist shields are hard to find at the beginning, but once you get the Drangleic Shield, the same issue arises.

I don't think Miyazaki is talking about changing all the combat, I'm sure he's just trying to eliminate the patient sword and board playstyle in the way it appeared in all the Souls games. Shield up, block the enemy combo, attack them in their recovery, rinse and repeat.

As for large groups of enemies, I never minded them. I liked stuff like the Royal Swordsman ambush in the Lost Bastille in Dark Souls 2. Keeps things interesting and challenging.

And I dont know why people focus so much on these primitive guns, they are basically crossbows, it's not like you're running and gunning with an AK.

"The death penalty, and the concept, I don't want to make it such a heavy thing," ponders Miyazaki. "It's there, but I don't want it to cause undue stress."

At some point Miyazaki had to give in to the popamole.

:decline:

He may be saying this because of the hollowing mechanic in Dark Souls 2, where you are punished for dying and lose a % of your max HP. Of course, then you find the Ring of Life Protection and death stops mattering, but oh well.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And I dont know why people focus so much on these primitive guns, they are basically crossbows, it's not like you're running and gunning with an AK.
The gun does splash damage (in the first leaked video), so it's not a crossbow bro.

And I like it because it can stop a crowd in close combat.

praetor

Arcane
As for large groups of enemies, I never minded them. I liked stuff like the Royal Swordsman ambush in the Lost Bastille in Dark Souls 2. Keeps things interesting and challenging.

i really don't see how being bumrushed by 5-6 of the same enemies on small platforms near pitfalls is "interesting". challenging? sure. but so is fighting 15 enemies that one-shot you in a small room surrounded by instant death whatever, while you can deal damage only to take 1% of their health. there, challenging. interesting? definitely not. Souls is neither DMC nor Dynasty Warriors

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Kanedias, I agree, and I typically play Souls games shieldless as well, but I wouldn't consider that playstyle any more "fast paced" than the alternatives. As a matter of fact, having a shields lets you be more reckless in the face of danger, as you can always fall back on blocking in a pinch, while without one, you need to be very deliberate and careful of putting yourself in bad positions. Looking at other good action games, "fast-paced" combat is typically achieved by giving the character more powerful defensive options - blocking in Ninja Gaiden, or rampant frame cancels in DMC.

I also agree that the multi-enemy encounters in DaS2 were a nice change of pace, but the largest of them - the royal swordsman ambush - only has like five dudes, and they usually have three or less. On one of the Bloodborne screenshots, you can see a whole street of tightly packed enemies.

Kanedias

Savant

i really don't see how being bumrushed by 5-6 of the same enemies on small platforms near pitfalls is "interesting". challenging? sure. but so is fighting 15 enemies that one-shot you in a small room surrounded by instant death whatever, while you can deal damage only to take 1% of their health. there, challenging. interesting? definitely not. Souls is neither DMC nor Dynasty Warriors

I didn't feel like it was cheap. You could snipe one through a window (if I recall), carefully pull them, fight them head on, or lure them away from that small place in order to divide them.

Cowboy Moment, could be. I can't wait to see a gameplay video to finally get what Miyazaki is trying to say. Also, I don't really think we are going to see that many enemies in the actual game. I expect large groups but not streets full of them. Otherwise it would have been mentioned in the demo impressions more often.

Also, I hope the FPS drops people are talking about are not solved by nerfing the enemies' idle AI (how they walk around and do their own thing). I remember Blighttown's FPS issues were caused by all the pathfinding. I always felt that how all enemies are just standing there in Souls games is one of the aspects that can be improved the most.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
I don't mind the shotguns, because honestly, I don't want this to be another DS. We already have a Dark Souls so why do we need.... another game that plays like it? I have faith is Miyazaki, and I'd like to see something different from him.

More so, I don't think DS formula should be squeezed so much. DS2 already suffers from some "sequel fatigue".

Kanedias

Savant
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/06/11/bloodborne-much-like-souls-game-spooky

I know it's Kotaku :decline: but it has some information I have not seen somewhere else.

The E3 demo opens with the main character rising from a stooped position, exactly like the Souls avatar does after every death. The animations and sound effects are identical to Souls 2's - there's a backstep, a kick, a roll, ragdoll corpse physics, floating flames over corpses with items hidden on them, a torch... early on in the demo an undead came crashing through a wooden barrier with that exact same sound of collapsing wood that's all too familiar to every Souls player who's ever been caught by surprise by a Hollow. When the first enemy was slain, I heard that familiar whoosh of souls being absorbed.

I really hope these sounds are not placeholders. I love how some Demon's Souls sounds found their way through Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, imagine if these sounds managed to make the jump to a new platform. It's just so funny.

The blunderbuss is interesting - it has no range, but if you let it off just in the instant before an enemy attack hits, it brings the aggressor to their knees and lets you despatch them more gruesomely, rather like Souls' counter mechanic.

I guess he means like a parry? I found a Polygon article that mentions something similar

He frequently uses it to briefly stun enemies or knock them out of attack animations so that he can then hit them with his saw cleaver. He also shows off a stylish dodge followed by a devastating counter attack with the shotgun.

I don't know.

Anyways all of these articles seem to indicate a very dense level with shortgun and side areas, which I love.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The animations and sound effects are identical to Souls 2's - there's a backstep, a kick, a roll, ragdoll corpse physics, floating flames over corpses with items hidden on them, a torch... early on in the demo an undead came crashing through a wooden barrier with that exact same sound of collapsing wood that's all too familiar to every Souls player who's ever been caught by surprise by a Hollow. When the first enemy was slain, I heard that familiar whoosh of souls being absorbed.
I really hope these sounds are not placeholders. I love how some Demon's Souls sounds found their way through Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, imagine if these sounds managed to make the jump to a new platform. It's just so funny.
Japanese devs love to reuse their content, oh yes they do!

This is how they save money during new game development.
:keepmyjewgold::thumbsup:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
It's a great thing From have Sony helping them with transitioning into next-gen development. How would they have reused their assets so deftly on an unfamiliar platform otherwise?

Murk

Arcane
All reports indicate blunderbuss + saw... are those just the weapons showed, or are we looking at severely limited weapon selection?

Kanedias

Savant
All reports indicate blunderbuss + saw... are those just the weapons showed, or are we looking at severely limited weapon selection?

From the Polygon article:

"Miyazaki assures us this is not the case: Bloodborne will allow you to create you own character and will include tons of weapons and armor to adorn them with."

I don't mind when sounds get re-used between the 3 souls games. Bugs in bligttown have the same death sound as those face-bugs in latria. Some DaS2 elevators use the same creaky sound as DeS. Soldiers in giant memories have the same death sounds as hollows in Boletaria. Small stuff like that somehow keeps the same feeling between the 3 games.

Kanedias

Savant
whhetq.gif

P.S.: What is a "lock on"?

Loving everything. Even the item glow is gorgeous.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
so yeah, this is a Souls game in everything but name. you even absorb souls from killed enemies

'Yharnam is one seamless open world... Its intricacy inspires the same level of awe as From Software's other fantastical situations; hidden pathways unlock shortcuts, while you're often granted fresh perspectives on paths previously traveled as you explore new parts of the city.'

"They are replacing magic with gadgets, guns and such. Main mechanic seems to be related to blood and blood is also used to regain your HP and gain various other benefits."

"You get blood sucking it from corpses or items. Sucking too much blood will turn you into a beast which I suppose is this game’s Soul/Hollow form. The game will apparently become a lot harder to play/control when in beast mode. To become a human again you need human blood and is where the online component comes into play," reads the details from Famitsu as translated by NeoGaf user.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
So it's Victorian style Souls game.

Current list:

Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls version B
Blood Souls

Next up:
Candy Souls
Modern Warfare Souls
Zelda Souls
Mine Souls.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The xbone and ps4 are essentially PCs under the hood. I don't see why this wouldn't be ported to PC sometimes in the future. My bet is 1 year console exclusive, then release on the PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom