Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Lol you clearly dont know what are you talking about.
Agility a placebo? Please play with character with 85 agility and than with one with 110 agility.
"I'm not sure if Agility did anything or if it was just placebo." Goddamn. You know that you are replying to a dumb fuck when you are responding by quoting the post he is responding to.
Lack of hard breakpoints for equipburden? What the fuck is 70% burden?
Oh right, 70% how the fuck did I forget? Probably because anything below or above it still changes movement speed and roll distance.
Nigger until 1.06 there were flipping havelsmoms in DaS1. DWGR was fucking retarded.
So fucking what? Didn't DkS PTDE come before DkS2? Is the point of this statement to say that both games have retarded shit on release? That might be alright. What's not alright is having mechanical problems that were fixed or never even existed in the final version of the previous game.
At least in DaS2 you HAVE TO manually aim heavy weapons with lock on and change the direction of your attack in the middle of your swing.
There, fixed that for you. If you don't manually aim, even in pve, you fucking miss. Why? Because heavy weapons have shit tracking.
Shit like parrying while two-handing, dual wielding and power stance, back steps with iframes, animation canceling,bigger variety of spells, soul vessels, lack of useless shit like resistance...How is that worse in every way that matter ?:lol:
Two handed parry- Nice edition.
Dual wielding and power stance- I find both useless, but it is vastly superior to the first game.
Backsteps with iframes- Which resulted in the retarded backstep parry.
Bigger variety of spells- No. Few new spells that are duplicated to all forms of magic by reskinning.
Soul vessels- Probably a nice edition.
Lack of useless shit like resistance- Calling this an improvement or at least a significant one is a stretch.
How is it worse? Simple, you are ignoring all the shitty changes. For fuck's sake, you are even ignoring the other complaints I have in that single fucking post. You can argue anything to be great if you cherrypick what to focus on.
Imagine me and you are in a bar.
You nudge me and say:"Look at the blonde to the right. She has huge tits"
I look at her, then look at you like you're a retard and say:"Are you fucking blind? She's a fucking whale. She probably weighs 400 lbs."
But you still take her home and fuck her. What's that blonde's name you might ask? her name is Dark Souls 2.
Lol not even close.

We sit in a bar and you cant stop talking about that blonde that had great tits but also gave you herps.
Than comes in her younger sister and you bullshit me how you wouldnt fuck her cause she is black not blonde, has no tits but great ass and is fit as fuck:M

in short YOU ARE FAGGIT

Last edited:

Alfons

Prophet
We sit in a bar and you cant stop talking about that blonde that had great tits but also gave you herps.
Than comes in her younger sister and you bullshit me how you wouldnt fuck her cause she is black not blonde, has no tits but great ass and is fit as fuck:M
:retarded:
Why in the fuck did you quote the entire post if you just want to take the bar analogy and change it so it makes no fucking sense? At least you figured out you have no actual point to make, kudos.:salute:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Why in the fuck did you quote the entire post if you just want to take the bar analogy and change it so it makes no fucking sense? At least you figured out you have no actual point to make, kudos.:salute:

Because that is the Codexian way.

We quote whole posts and address only ONE point!

Because you raise no valid points at all?
How the fuck you can even miss with fucking greatsword, great club or motherfucking smelter hammer in pve? Are you fucking handicapped or are you using fucking guitar hero controller for your playthrough?

Why do you bash Agility if you dont even know how it works? Whats so fucking difficult to grasp that the lower your burden the further away you roll? Which makes fucking sense when flipping havelmoms did not make any at all.

DaS came after Des and brought its own bunch of retarded shit. Sequels are not fucking flawless? No fucking shit ! Just take a look at fallout2, kotor2, bg2, nwn2, wastelnd2 and bunch of other games.

Nigger did you even use magic? Please find me in DaS equivalents of :
Climax,darkstorm,dark dance, dark sword/soul sword, motherfucking dead again, reasonant souls, lifedrain patch, numbness, profound still, recolection, repel, scraps of life, twister barricade, dance of fire, fire snake, flame swathe, lingering flame, warmth, soul flash, soul geyser/shower/barrage/vortex, heavenly thunder, splinteringlighting spear,

Where is my sanctum shield, blue flame, disc chimney or mace of insolent in DaS?

Better stats system is not improvement? I fucking loved when dexterity not attunement raised my casting speed or all those wasted points into resistance because it did not work at all.

Alfons

Prophet
How the fuck you can even miss with fucking greatsword, great club or motherfucking smelter hammer in pve?
Greatsword has a wide swing, great club has a small aoe, fucking brilliant. Now fucking tell me about the weapons that have no aoe and have vertical swings as opposed to horizontal ones.

Why do you bash Agility if you dont even know how it works?
Here we go again with your reading comprehension issues, do I really have to quote my own post again? Every time I fucked around with agility I wasn't sure how much of a difference it actually made. If you read online or look at the people that tested it more, you find out that it barely gives you any iframes. So both analysis and experience shows that it's not as clear cut as you claim it to be.

Whats so fucking difficult to grasp that the lower your burden the further away you roll?
There's nothing hard about the idea you dumb fuck. What's so hard to understand that having no clear breakpoints makes everything less precise? I know that I supposedly roll farther but by how much? Does that shit change with every point of weight every 2? The only clear one is the 70% one.

Which makes fucking sense when flipping havelmoms did not make any at all.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and won't make the assumption that you are talking about real world logic but logic in terms of mechanics, even though the context suggests otherwise. Ninja flips in full Havel's are retarded, you seem to be really harping on that issue though. It was a big problem with an easy fix, they fixed it with patches and didn't repeat it in the sequel. That thread of thought has nothing to do with the burden/movement system, it's one grossly overpowered item that was nerfed.

DaS came after Des and brought its own bunch of retarded shit. Sequels are not fucking flawless? No fucking shit ! Just take a look at fallout2, kotor2, bg2, nwn2, wastelnd2 and bunch of other games.
Never played DeS. Do you have an example of DkS fucking up something that was unfucked in DeS. I'm Asking out of curiosity because the answer doesn't make the fact that DkS2 fucked up things that were unfucked in DkS any less shitty.

Nigger did you even use magic? Please find me in DaS equivalents of :
Climax,darkstorm,dark dance, dark sword/soul sword, motherfucking dead again, reasonant souls, lifedrain patch, numbness, profound still, recolection, repel, scraps of life, twister barricade, dance of fire, fire snake, flame swathe, lingering flame, warmth, soul flash, soul geyser/shower/barrage/vortex, heavenly thunder, splinteringlighting spear
Of course I did, With the wonderful new stat system there was no point of taking any stat but vitality, endurance and the minimum required stats for the gear you intended to use. Of course, that's only in case you wanted a good character.
I like that I look at this list and think:"what a load of shit" while you look at it and think "Content!". I genuinely chuckled. Anyways, how many of these spells are more than a novelty or are reskins with a different school of magic? MOTHERFUCKING DEAD AGAIN! You know, to use on all of those corpses that don't disappear.

Where is my sanctum shield, blue flame, disc chimney or mace of insolent in DaS?
Probably up your ass. Now where's my balder side sword, OG halberd, a spear that doesn't take an hour to poke or makes the hands of the character tired after 2 pokes, a greatsword that actually does decent damage to a mob that has armor?

Better stats system is not improvement? I fucking loved when dexterity not attunement raised my casting speed or all those wasted points into resistance because it did not work at all.
You are right about the dex I guess. At least when it comes to the cast speed, but what about dex and what it gives you now? Meeting stat requirements for gear and......nothing. No sorry, it gives you around 20 damage for 30 points with an A scaling weapon. What about strength? Almost as bad? How unfortunate. Surely Int and faith are still good. What do you mean grind for spices and use the minimum required stats for the gear? That is truly a better stat system. Right, forgot about resistance. I can't imagine you are talking about noobs dumping points in there. Are you talking about your minmax OCD? The starting stats really bother you that much? I guess you could say it's an improvement if it wasn't for the above.

Murk

Arcane
Instead of miracles and spells in this we get guns? or spells are still in ?

There is an 'arcane' stat, but I donno if it's used for magic directly or if it just improves infusion/buffed type of stuff.

This game has given fuckall information other than dope ass trench coats n fedoras. m'hunnnter.

I dont really see a point in arguing with someone who insist that spells so different like lifedrain patch,soul sword and warmth are just fucking reskins or a novelty :lol: lets not derail bloodborne thread anymore:salute:

So my last contribution to educate you a bit:M

Dead again is very situational spell but in location like fofg or huntsman copse its pretty much guaranteed one shot kill. Yes, please give me more such a useless reskins :lol: over next greater/bigger/heavier/crystall soul which we know very well from DaS1.
I dont know how handicaped you have to be to miss your vertical swings but i played DaS2 with lot of different heavy weapons from sacred chime, grym greathammer, black knight gs,blue moon gs, murakumo, crypt blacksword and recently with lost sinnner ultr gs. I cant imagine missing with those weapons. Ffs with lost sinner ugs i was one shotting everyone until dragon shrine and than i was two shotting everything:smug: i mean fuuuuck great lance has insane tracking, zweihander stunlocks merciless etc.

We know everything what You need to know about agility. Its March fucking 2015 :M

Powerstanced dragonslayer spears were pretty popular flavour of the month in pvp scene. As were yorg spear, helix, syans, roaring halberds.

I dont give a fuck about bss, fuck farming that shit. What i meant with sanctum shield or blue flames was the new mechanics they brought to gameplay that was something else than just longer reach or faster swings.

Anyway game leaked , people are already playing the game 10 days before release redshit is full of minor spoilers. Abandon the thread :rage: see u when i get ps4

Alfons

Prophet
You still continue to cherry pick which points to address, which part to address and what parts to disregard completely.
I ask you how many spells are just a novelty and you still argue in favour of one of the most useless spells. One shot? Kinda like resonant soul which is a soul arrow WITH A TWIST!

The only weapon that you point out has good tracking is great lance with the others you just can't miss, whatever the fuck that means, manual adjusting maybe?

We know everything? I guess that's why most people don't bother with it and bump up something else instead.

So what? Like that makes spears any less shitty than in DkS.

You don't give a fuck? I don't give a fuck about the shit you mentioned. I'd rather the game would focus on having better melee weapons than having shitty gimmicky ones.
But, like you said...
lets not derail bloodborne thread anymore:salute:

Parrys are a great design mechanic. High risk, high reward that encourages skill. If you fail, you take the full blunt of the attack. If you succeed, you do a bunch of damage.

That glosses over a lot of the major problems with the mechanic.

Probably the biggest flaw is how it's only relevant some of the time. Half of the bestiary straight up blank the parry; it has zero use against them. That would be fine if this were a specialized weapon or a niche spell, but this is supposed to be a core mechanic of the game...it should be relevant against the overwhelming majority of foes. Bayonetta/DMC-style parries work on every attack, and even games with less powerful parry mechanics rarely throw out an enemy that doesn't have a few attacks that interact with the mechanic (e.g. MG RAY might be bighuge and have a ton of ranged attacks, but MGR's Raiden can still parry its physical strikes). This is pretty unforgivable...nobody expects a core mechanic to not interact with such a large proportion of content.

Even so, it's not always clear what attacks can be parried. There aren't any strong indicators or consistent logic as to what interacts with the parry, and a whole lot of corner-case exceptions as to what can get around it. It becomes a question of meta-knowledge or trial and error to figure out what category each attack fits into, and this plays terribly with both the Souls series tendency to throw new enemies at the player and the high lethality of enemies. This could have been averted with some forethought. Games like MGR and 3d Castlevanias (Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, Lords of Shadow) all have a visual cue to denote unblockable/un-parryable attacks. And games like Dragon's Dogma commit to a strong, consistent logic. The Souls series does neither.

And finally...Souls parries just aren't fun.

Parry-mechanics in other single-player games broaden possibilities in combat. Games like Bayo/DMC/MGR allow the player to cancel into parries from most animations allowing for aggressive playstyles that utilize parrying to defend without having to significantly interrupt their offense. In Souls games, parries cannot be canceled into, limiting when they can be performed and what can be done with them. Usually this means that the player "fishes" for a parry, waiting for an enemy to throw out some easy to intercept attack, forfeiting any possible aggression if they want to be ready to parry.

Really the only time I've ever found them fun and useful was against Crown of the Old Iron King's Maldron the Assassin. Everytime else, the mechanic is some shade of bad. Against single enemies, poise-locking, backstabbing, or magic-spamming are faster, more-effective, and easier to perform, rendering the parry->riposte line of play tactically inferior. And against multiple enemies the parry mechanic flops entirely; it's not robust against increasing enemy numbers.

Learning to parry is tedious and un-fun. Unlike other games that have gradations of success/failure in their parry mechanic, Souls parries are binary, all-or-nothing affairs (ignoring the phenomenon of "partial parries"). This means that getting down the timings to properly parry attacks is going to involve eating a lot of hits and likely seeing a lot of loading screens. Compare to something like MGR. The basic parry input can be spammed if the user feel uncertain of their skill timing. They'll forfeit a lot of time they could be attacking, and never get devastating perfect parries, but the mechanic will work. Dragon's Dogma allows players to equip an ability that broadens the frame window for perfect guards, serving as "training wheels" of sorts, at the cost of an augment slot.

And it's just plain silly in PvP, being incredibly swingy and, were it not for latency, completely imbalanced. An attacker making one wrong move into a parry is punished with a stupidly damaging special attack which they have no ability to react to. Further compounding the stupidity are things like combatants being able to quickly swap to high AR weapons in between the parry and riposte. Or the fact that the recipient of the riposte will be downed and face a serious positional disadvantage after losing upwards of half their health in one blow (and Souls games don't have anything sorta like reversals, so wakeup game is terrible for those on the ground).

Is SF3: Third Strike parrying is too much to ask for?

All in all, it's just a crappy mechanic that's persisted through the series likely due to inertia, like plenty of other things. However, to be fair to Bloodborne at least the dreadful backstab mechanic has finally gotten the ax. That definitely counts for something and has been a long time coming.

The change to equip burden and the change to the stats makes everything less precise. To this day, I'm not sure if Agility did anything or if it was just placebo, combined with he lack of hard breakpoints when it comes to equip burden and you have yourself an inferior movement system.

Agility's effects have been well documented, having a significant effect on the i-frames in both the roll and backstep.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Agility

Hard breakpoints are in DkS2, there's simply fewer of them and the game is better off for it. Fast-rolling below 70% burden, fat-rolling between 70% and 100%, and little mobility when over-burdened. Much better than DkS1 where any of the breakpoints above 25% encumbrance were suicide in PvP and generally awful to play with in PvE. Plus, a universal move/sprint speed was a very good idea, allowing all enemies and bosses to be designed around said speed, and sidestepping the issue where low-equip burden characters could run circles around the foes balanced for some 80% burden newbie that can barely move; bosses like Sinh and Darklurker probably wouldn't have been possible with DkS1-style encumbrance/movement.

And the implementation of more "continuous" elements with regards to equip burden was interesting as well. Rather than having Mugen Monkey, or some other utility, maximize my defense/poise for <25% burden, there are some more tradeoffs. Do I add more armor for defense/poise and lose roll distance and stamina regen-rate?

Then there are all of the movement control improvements including, but not limited to:

-Eight-directional dodging
-Being able to run in any direction while locked on
-Being able to transition immediately from a run to a roll; no more awkward jump
-The ability to backstep with your shield up
-Being able to cancel windups of attacks/spells with lengthy animations; good for mindgames in PvP

I can't see how anyone can consider movement worse in DkS2.

The skins, in terms of function all Items are incredibly different and by different I mean worse. That is due to the fact that scaling if just shit, a problem which was in the original DkS1 but was somewhat fixed by PTDE. Another contributing factor is the fucked up defenses, A mace that has 300 attack does 400-500 damage to an armor-clad giant, a greatsword that has 450 attack does around 200-300, what the fuck?

Maybe so, now it's all about those one or two attacks and your fucked.

Both of those attacks hardly exist. Poise backstabs don't work anymore because poise only kicks in when you are attacking or using an item; no more can Giantdads poisewalk through people's attacks in order to backstab them. And roll backstabs are a lot harder to pull of due to the nerfs that were meted out onto the backstab.

Plus, there are now hard counters to the backstab that can be equipped.

Most fights consist of two guys never engaging or missing all the fucking time since heavy weapon tracking is completely fucked.

If I recall correctly, the tracking is the same as DkS1 for heavy weapons except that an analogue input will override it. A necessary change to make these weapons viable in PvP without having to play unlocked (something most players, especially newbies, won't generally do).

Bigger variety of spells- No. Few new spells that are duplicated to all forms of magic by reskinning.

Completely incorrect. DkS2 has almost all the same spell effects as the first, adds a bunch of interesting new ones, and rehabilitates broken old ones.

Things like Lingering Flame, Soul Greatsword, Scraps of Life, Warmth, Soul Flash, Numbness, Flame Swathe, Fire Snake, and many others are all unique interesting effects. The new offensive magicks are particularly welcome seeing as they break the "Soul Arrow Clone" mold that was typical of most DkS1 offensive spells. And that's a good thing, seeing as how boring projectiles are in a game without any sort of in-depth aiming mechanics beyond "Lock on -> Press R1".

Speaking of pyromancies, many of the old ones recieved some signicant buffs. "Mist" type spells spawn on the targeted opponent instead of using the lengthy and awkward DkS1-style animation. And Fire Whip is actually capable of multiple hits (and a whole lot of damage).

It made the cardinal sin of sequels that everyone expects out of sequels, it was worse in every way that matters.

Yeah, if you ignore or handwave away practically every improvement it certainly looks worse.

DragoFireheart

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/03...layers-talk-duration-weapon-variety-and-more/

Details:

As pretty much every relevant game in the past years, Bloodborne is already out in the wild, and early owners are starting to comment and post interesting stuff online, in this case on Reddit and on the PlayStationTrophies forums.

The information below is pretty much spoiler-free story-wise, but it does include details on gameplay that you might want to discover for yourself. If that’s the case, go ahead and hit back on your browser.

• Finishing the game once took roughly 45 hours (remember that this is a single user, so your mileage may vary, as for all Souls games).
  • One playthrough yielded 14 unique trick weapons and 12 off-hand weapons, but there are more of both categories in the game, as the player didn’t unlock the related trophies for getting all of them. One of the weapons does not transform, but does something “very cool.”
  • The player found 19 full sets of clothes/armor, some of which are light armor. He also found pieces that did not match the sets.
  • Weapons can be upgraded up to +10. Weapons are upgraded at a workshop near the fireplace at the Hunter’s Dream.
  • Each weapon feels unique, and they are very varied.
  • Some armor sets have very specific uses. For instance the White Church outfit has high poison resistance, while the Ashen set has high frenzy resistance.
  • Upgraded primary weapons can hold up to three blood gems that give buffs and debuffs. Cursed blood gems have very high buffs at the expense of other aspects.
  • Some items can be used in a way similar to magic, and require silver bullets per use. They also require high arcane stat. Arcane also raises the drop rate from monsters.
  • There’s no dynamic day/night cycle. Time of day and night is based on story progression.
  • The Reddit poster mentioned that he thinks the game is a masterpiece and after finishing it once, he feels he has only scratched the surface.
  • Bloodtinge raises bullet damage.
  • Insight is about how much inhuman knowledge you gain during the game.
  • The Mark of the Hunter is an item in the inventory that acts like the nexial binding stone/darksign in Dark Souls where you lose all you echoes and return to the dream refuge.
  • You can carry four Caryll Runes in separate slots, and they boost abilities grant different effects.
Here are some overall comments from PlayStationTrophies forumsrmchiva925 (who apparently didn’t finish the game yet).

Last few things I want to clarify. People were worried that there might be a graphics downgrade. I played the alpha and now the real thing, and I can tell you that the game looks even better. In the alpha I noticed that there were some unfinished rendering on character clothing and some environmental things, but now I’m looking at the clothing textures and also the environment and 80% of my time spent in Bloodborne as of now is just looking around to all the attention to detail. It’s a beautiful looking game with sublime music. You guys are in for a treat considering that day 1 is gonna improve performance as well.

Frame rate wise, its been a solid 30 fps so far and I’m already used to the control and love the speed of the game. everything you do, and what the enemies do is just at least 2-3 times faster than the previous entries.

As usual, remember that those are impressions from users, that can be colored by opinion and personal preference, so you should take them with the due grain of salt.

In the meanwhile, you can check out the pictures and screenshot posted, including the visible trophies, which don’t really include big spoilers.

Update: added a few more screenshots thanks to NeoGAF user 0racle.

A sample photo:

bloodborne-13.jpg

And yes, match making is confirmed to be based on Level, not memory nonsense.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

And it looks like the A-Team has come to the recuse for this game. The gold versions looks better than the alpha.

Machocruz

Arcane
At least PS4 owners finally have a game to play this year.

But seriously, I've always thought that judging a 3D game's looks by screenshots is idiotic. "Photography" flattens space and freezes movement. I've seen screenshots that make the best looking games look less than great.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

So I've been stalking the GameFAQs boards (known for their retarded mods and nutty conspiracy theorists).

SPOILERS AHEAD!

No really, it's in relation to the final boss.

Last warning

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805577-bloodborne/71417089

#13kingtrace(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2015 10:45:06 AMmessage detailquote

The final boss is TBA. They actually have a giant sign in his location that explains he'll be put in later. There's a picture of his right eye, though. It's glowing and red. Very spoopy.

EDIT:

Some shameless hyping.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/...early_bloodborne_players_discussion/?sort=new

redflamingolingo 15 points 14 hours ago

Impressions so far:
I got the game tonight.
It's something else so far. The shimmering from the IGN clips is pretty much absent. The graphics are phenomenal, and I'm a primarily PC gamer, too.
So far the game is incredible.
Dark Souls is my favorite game of all time, and so far this tops it in every way.
Just wanted to let you know :)

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Sweet new info

Also, that fucking loading screen in the video ;D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom