Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

You mean the amazing standard straight sword moveset that turns into the standard DaS1 greathammer moveset? How is that depth? You can equip both weapons in DaS2 and switch between them - there you go same levels of depth as Bloodborne. Oh yeah, there's also a fucking spear that's also a fucking gun.

Calling something that adds variety to playstyles a "crutch" is fucking retarded. Is this some fighting game that rewards skill with amazing combo scores or some shit? (hello bloodborne R1 spam to full health)

Souls games have always been about letting you choose how the difficulty of the game is going to pan out depending on your playstyle.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game looks fascinating - even more so than Demon's Souls did back in the day. I am really impressed by the setting, world and creature design and overall mood.

Since buying a console is out of the question, I will probably watch it on YouTube, if I find a decent enough let's player. I did that with Demon's Souls and I probably understood more this way than I would after playing through the game myself. I should probably watch Dark Souls like this too, but I am deluding myself I will actually find time to finish those at some point.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
You mean the amazing standard straight sword moveset that turns into the standard DaS1 greathammer moveset? How is that depth? You can equip both weapons in DaS2 and switch between them - there you go same levels of depth as Bloodborne. Oh yeah, there's also a fucking spear that's also a fucking gun.

- There are multiple completely new weapon movesets in the game
- Equipping two weapons like that in DS is stupid since it adds to your encumbrance
- You are discounting the impact having a stagger gun adds to the combat
- You are neglecting to mention the somewhat confirmed (I dont know all the details because muh spoilers)
beast mode and abilities like the teleportation move in that one trailer

Is this some fighting game that rewards skill with amazing combo scores or some shit?

Only on the codex is rewarding skill in an action game a bad thing.

Souls games have always been about letting you choose how the difficulty of the game is going to pan out depending on your playstyle.

1. This isn't a souls game
2. git gud
3. if you really can't git gud, then just submit yourself to being a co-op babby I guess.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
This game looks fascinating - even more so than Demon's Souls did back in the day. I am really impressed by the setting, world and creature design and overall mood.

Since buying a console is out of the question, I will probably watch it on YouTube, if I find a decent enough let's player. I did that with Demon's Souls and I probably understood more this way than I would after playing through the game myself. I should probably watch Dark Souls like this too, but I am deluding myself I will actually find time to finish those at some point.

I will probably be streaming it for a few days after launch as long as some bros want to watch (if nobody does, I can understand/respect that). Not really a let's play, but I'll interact with the chat through text within reason.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will probably be streaming it for a few days after launch as long as some bros want to watch (if nobody does, I can understand/respect that). Not really a let's play, but I'll interact with the chat through text within reason.
I do not watch live streams, but good luck.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

I would watch but the early looks and info is painting this game in a positive lighter (much better than the graphics scandal of Dark Souls 2).

I briefly watched some other videos and this game is basically a souls game though. Lets be honest with ourselves.

This is not unique to souls games.
Where does it say "unique" ?

- There are multiple completely new weapon movesets in the game
- Equipping two weapons like that in DS is stupid since it adds to your encumbrance
- You are discounting the impact having a stagger gun adds to the combat
- You are neglecting to mention the somewhat confirmed (I dont know all the details because muh spoilers)
beast mode and abilities like the teleportation move in that one trailer

It's not really new info? New movesets in a new game? Who would have known?

Gimmicks of combining multiple weapons into one aren't any different from having several equipped. Again, they're going for the "OMG AWESUM!!11" visual aspect of the whole game.

Only on the codex is rewarding skill in an action game a bad thing..

My point is that there are are no clear skill-based rewards in DeS/DaS/DaS2
The games encourage use of magic/shields/whatever the fuck you want.

1. This isn't a souls game
2. git gud
3. if you really can't git gud, then just submit yourself to being a co-op babby I guess.

So a game that plays a lot like Souls game isn't at its core a Souls game? There is some serious reddit-level circlejerking going on in this thread.
And I totally need to git gud since I haven't put 2000+ hours combined into all three Souls games.

In the end, you missed the whole fucking point of my post. The game looks like Souls-lite. This is as far as game mechanics go. SONY and FROM have made a flashy action game instead of an ARPG and that's fine.

But you can't seem to deal with people trying to criticize/discuss something you are so hyped for.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
It's not really new info? New movesets in a new game? Who would have known?

Gimmicks of combining multiple weapons into one aren't any different from having several equipped. Again, they're going for the "OMG AWESUM!!11" visual aspect of the whole game.

You're clearly the kind of person who doesn't understand why, for example, adding the style switching mod to DMC3 adds a huge amount of depth to the game. Ergo, this discussion point will lead nowhere.

My point is that there are are no clear skill-based rewards in DeS/DaS/DaS2
The games encourage use of magic/shields/whatever the fuck you want.

Ok, and this game is going out of its way to reward offensive based skill. That's a good thing.

So a game that plays a lot like Souls game isn't at its core a Souls game? There is some serious reddit-level circlejerking going on in this thread.

I was being mostly facetious.

And I totally need to git gud since I haven't put 2000+ hours combined into all three Souls games.

If you spent 2000 hours hiding behind a shield, then you might need to git gud for bloodborne, yeah.

In the end, you missed the whole fucking point of my post. The game looks like Souls-lite. This is as far as game mechanics go. SONY and FROM have made a flashy action game instead of an ARPG and that's fine.

I probably did miss the point.

But you can't seem to deal with people trying to criticize/discuss something you are so hyped for.

I can't deal with people making sweeping statements dismissing an officially unreleased game that they've never played and probably never will play.

You were implying it.

I wasn't implying anything. Why does it matter anyway? Jesus..

You're clearly the kind of person who doesn't understand why, for example, adding the style switching mod to DMC3 adds a huge amount of depth to the game. Ergo, this discussion point will lead nowhere.

I don't play fighting games, but I'm pretty sure that Buttbored is not going anywhere near the elaborate shit you find there. Dashing around and spam R1 to recharge health is all that they've been showing so far. I've seen enough "leaked" footage that indicated typical Souls combat with just minor adjustments. You still stun smaller enemies until your stamina bar is gone and play carefully around huge ones. It wouldn't hurt for them to at least make combo requirements (R1>R2 instead of R1R1R1R1R1) for stunlocks. The gun "parrying" is hardly an amazing new feature. At least they got rid of retarded backstabs.

Ok, and this game is going out of its way to reward offensive based skill. That's a good thing.

And this doesn't have to invalidate playstyles in previous Souls games. Your attitude is that anything that isn't an offensive dodge-centered playstyle is a wrong playstyle.

If you spent 2000 hours hiding behind a shield, then you might need to git gud for bloodborne, yeah.

Did I say anything about Bloodborne in this regard? We were arguing about shield/magic in DeS/DaS/DaS2. You keep insisting that shield turtling is the wrong way to play the games. I've done all kinds of Souls playthroughs so I don't give a shit. At least I don't act like a gigantic faggot when it comes to other people's preferences.

I can't deal with people making sweeping statements dismissing an officially unreleased game that they've never played and probably never will play.

You know about as much as I do. You're doing the same thing, just on the other side of the argument.

I did not "dismiss" the game. Making a few points of criticism doesn't indicate my entire view on this game.

td;dr

Bloodborne looks like a Souls-lite action game, yet it doesn't seem to add enough action elements to make the combat more interesting given that so many Souls elements have been stripped.

Notice that I'm not mentioning Setting/Level Design/Art/Story at all. If anything, I'm getting a feeling that level design is going to be much better than base DaS2.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
UndetectedButthurt

You have failed to comprehend my posts and created your own narrative of what I'm saying. I never said that turtling or magic is the wrong way to play, but to not recognize that it is a 'playstyle' that almost completely invalidates the challenge of the game is ridiculous. You expressed disdain that they are removing 'legitimate playstyles'. I am explaining to you that they did this as a concerted effort to increase the difficulty of the game by removing low risk/high reward strategies. This was compensated by further expanding the offensive options the player has. There isn't really any room for debate here. I think this is a great decision that helps reinforce the game's overbearing horror-like atmosphere and brutal tone. You obviously do not appreciate that choice.

Either way, you are intentionally overlooking the inclusions added to the game and writing them off to further this narrative. Probably subconscious sour grapes that the game is a console exclusive or something, idk.

Lol at telling UndetectedButthurt to git gud and stop turtling:lol::salute::retarded:

I dont really see those huge improvements in gameplay and combat system and so far all locations are climatic as fuck but lack variety.

I still dig the victorian atmosphere and that gothic horror vibe. Also enemy design seems to be later in the game a big improvement over Souls dark fantasy menagerie.

Some nice screens

http://m.imgur.com/a/aV7Hi

Still not going to pay +460€ for one game :M

UndetectedButthurt

You have failed to comprehend my posts and created your own narrative of what I'm saying. I never said that turtling or magic is the wrong way to play, but to not recognize that it is a 'playstyle' that almost completely invalidates the challenge of the game is ridiculous. You expressed disdain that they are removing 'legitimate playstyles'. I am explaining to you that they did this as a concerted effort to increase the difficulty of the game by removing low risk/high reward strategies. This was compensated by further expanding the offensive options the player has. There isn't really any room for debate here. I think this is a great decision that helps reinforce the game's overbearing horror-like atmosphere and brutal tone. You obviously do not appreciate that choice.

Either way, you are intentionally overlooking the inclusions added to the game and writing them off to further this narrative. Probably subconscious sour grapes that the game is a console exclusive or something, idk.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude I was sure that we were talking about specifically Dark/Demon's Souls and turtling/magic spamming but whatever. Bloodborne can do whatever the hell it wants, but the devs have to compensate for all the things they removed from the formula. It just seems a little bare-bones at this point.

I'm a little bummed out that the next Souls-like is a PS4 exclusive but not THAT much.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Still not going to pay +460€ for one game :M

Yeah, that's reasonable. I ended up taking the plunge and buying the PS4 because I will end up getting MGSV for it (fuck waiting 2 weeks, need instant gratification!!) and I have a feeling that I will eventually end up buying
FFXV and KH3 in the far, far future :oops:
and there will probably also be some other decent titles along the way that don't reach PC for one reason or another.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude I was sure that we were talking about specifically Dark/Demon's Souls and turtling/magic spamming but whatever. Bloodborne can do whatever the hell it wants, but the devs have to compensate for all the things they removed from the formula. It just seems a little bare-bones at this point.

I'm a little bummed out that the next Souls-like is a PS4 exclusive but not THAT much.

Men, it's the codex. The whole point of the codex is to misinterpret people and scream at them! AHHHHHH IM A GIANT PURPLE MONKEY!

Anyway, I think that there's more to BB than meets the eye. Apparently a ranged build is pretty viable with the fuckhuge cannon weapon, but it's pretty high risk since the weapon fires so slowly. There's also a shield, it's just not nearly as good as a tower shield in DS - plus all the special abilities / beast mode shit that I refuse to spoil for myself. I guess we'll see for certain in a week.

Machocruz

Arcane
I think this is a great decision that helps reinforce the game's overbearing horror-like atmosphere and brutal tone. You obviously do not appreciate that choice.

Makes me think of Shadow Tower Abyss. No shields, overbearing atmosphere, brutal tone. Guns, evasion as defense. You don't die as much because damage isn't as severe, but healing is also not as convenient, so you still can die quite a bit. And it's an eerie, intimidating game at times, oppressive in its stygian bleakness. I really want From to make another first-person ARPG.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
KTA8fbQPBog.jpg

Sony is rolling out a new promotion in Denmark where people who donate blood can get a free copy of upcoming PlayStation 4 role-playing game Bloodborne.
In an effort to help raise awareness for the lack of blood donors in the country, PlayStation has formed a partnership with Danish blood center GivBlod (viaNeoGAF) that will give donors a free copy of the game.
The event itself will be held on Monday, March 23. Blood donors can receive a free copy of Bloodborne or another PlayStation game.
They will also be entered into a sweepstakes for the chance to win a specially designed Bloodborne PlayStation 4 system.
Bloodborne, developed by Demon's Souls and Dark Souls creator From Software, launches March 24 in North America and March 27 in the UK.
Recently, game director Hidetaka Miyazaki spoke out to say that, while Bloodborne is most assuredly a violent game, its depictions of blood and gore are not gratuitous.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I fail to see the appeal. I was interested in Dark Souls because it was basically a simulator of living in a berserk world. You play as a normal guy going against supernatural foes in a disturbing fantasy world. Now it's just Van Helsing reimagined as shounen manga. Looks pretty eh to might. Sure, I dislike Victorian setting with passion, but still. Hope that the new setting won't stick.

Seems like bb has the same retarded healing system DeS had. Either farm bloodvials in certain locations(1-1/2/3/4 in Des) or buy it for lots of souls. Some guy playing the game early complained how he has to grind them after every failed attempt at certain boss... Neogaf reaction? You are playing it wrong :lol:

not only you have to warp to a different location to farm them but resting at lanterns do not respawn enemies. You have to warp back to new nexus and than back to that location :retarded: with 45 seconds loading times and that awful loading screen ...:salute:

Also i got spoiled with new boss. Fucking 4chan /v. It looks like BB has its own
Ruin Sentinels
fight :M

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I don't get why would they abandon the Estus mechanic, it was not only good, it was the best healing system I've seen in an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom