Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
From rekindled the joy (and frustration!) of video games for me. Demons Soul's was a masterpiece in my eyes.

It wasn't easy. It wasn't for pussy casuals. DS was hardcore, YOU DIED FUCKING NOOB. Learn to '_____'.

Back in my day, demon's souls would be a "quarter eater". My first video games were Pong and Space Wars (to age me).

So I've been a gamer for a long, long time.

Demon's Souls was like "FUCK YOU!" and to me that was GREAT and TERRIBLE!

But once you beat the "insert fucking boss here" I felt some sort of accomplishment, not just I am a "good button clicker"

I actually beat DS without min/maxing armor and weapons and shit. I just used what I found and made it work without upgrading much (maybe shit to +5..i don't like the barbie dress up model of upgrading).

Up that last set of stairs I was co-oping with a random (with the dragon?), when the special armor or whatever dropped there..i was waving him/her on to pick it up. I wanted to get to the end of the fabulous ride I had.

Yeah..i threw my controller a few times and had to take a break for a day or 2 or 3. But the challenge was the thing, man.

I wasn't going to let Demon's Souls beat me! I lerned to git gud!.

I didn't much care for the PVP (but i'm an old fart with old reflexes! :) )

I've played both "sequals"..but DS is still a magical experience in my aged eyes.

Zep--

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Zep Zepo I had a similar experience with Dark Souls. I was born in '78 so I was more of an Outrun/Space Harrier kinda of a kid but the arcade was my first love. Beating a game with just one credit is still the most rewarding experience I've had in gaming. It's great to see there's still some games that understand that excellence or 'gittin gud' is what games should be about.

For what it's worth I recommend giving PVP another try. I avoided it at first for similar reasons but there's still a lot of great fights to be had. And a slower more thoughtful style is definitely viable, maybe you just need a set up that suits your style.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Zep Zepo I had a similar experience with Dark Souls. I was born in '78 so I was more of an Outrun/Space Harrier kinda of a kid but the arcade was my first love. Beating a game with just one credit is still the most rewarding experience I've had in gaming. It's great to see there's still some games that understand that excellence or 'gittin gud' is what games should be about.

For what it's worth I recommend giving PVP another try. I avoided it at first for similar reasons but there's still a lot of great fights to be had. And a slower more thoughtful style is definitely viable, maybe you just need a set up that suits your style.

Oh, I played online and won a few fights from total scrubs...but I didn't like getting 2 hitted and shit from the "i got gud"s and giant dads and shit.

If I saw I was outmatched by armor, weapons (or skill)...or whatever...I would pretty much just give in to that and let them kill me so I could get back into the game. I'm not really big into PVP, i'm more of a PVE player.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Oh..I think i used the fire sword?...Once I found it, all the way to the end of the game. I don't even think I upgraded it at all.

I honestly could not wrap my head around the DS upgrade system..and kinda gave up on it.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I am stoked for Bloodborne and it will be the game I buy 1st day instead of my usual Gamefly and return.

A Team better not disappoint! :)

Zep--

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Zep Zepo Yeah, I wish the online combat had less one shot potential. Have you tried DaS2 PVP? It seems pretty good at the moment but with Bloodborne coming out I guess there's no need. Still, if you're ever bored with time on your hands, check out a youtuber called PraiseTheSun. He does weapon guides which include fight club footage. I really like his style, it's very much how I'd like to play if I had the time/patience.

Alfons A good fight to check out agility is the Old Dragonslayer. Outside of cheesing his left leg, I struggle if I fight him early on with low agility. What I've found with agility is that it's very much an all or nothing situation. Once I have enough agility, anything else is redundant so getting more doesn't seem like it does anything. And I find that 'breakpoint' to be pretty low, so I understand if in actual gameplay it doesn't seem that important but it definitely does make a difference.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Zep Zepo Yeah, I wish the online combat had less one shot potential. Have you tried DaS2 PVP? It seems pretty good at the moment but with Bloodborne coming out I guess there's no need. Still, if you're ever bored with time on your hands, check out a youtuber called PraiseTheSun. He does weapon guides which include fight club footage. I really like his style, it's very much how I'd like to play if I had the time/patience.

Oh Yeah, I played DS 2 at release...got 0wned in PVP by the PS3 Soul Memory hackers. I didn't hang around after beating the game to see if any of that shit was patched out.

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

Oh Yeah, I played DS 2 at release...got 0wned in PVP by the PS3 Soul Memory hackers. I didn't hang around after beating the game to see if any of that shit was patched out.

Zep--

Those poison armor butteryfly wing dudes when I was lvl 20 or 30? Yeah...fuck that. I am not one to pull a network plug...but that shit started getting old.

Zep--

Rolk's Drifter

Scholar
Zep Zepo I was late to DS2 so thankfully missed most of that. The worst for me is how unoriginal these types are. Troll me, grief me, rape me, just don't friggin' bore me you know?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Looks like it's time to go dark since everyone is playing it early except me, it seems. Lousy third worldians getting the game before us. :argh: I look forward to forming a Codex gank squad when the game goes live.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Looks like it's time to go dark since everyone is playing it early except me, it seems. Lousy third worldians getting the game before us. :argh: I look forward to forming a Codex gank squad when the game goes live.

PSN Dragofireheart.

Load times are a bit lengthy:

http://webmup.com/Ji751/

About 35 seconds or so long.

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

PSN Dragofireheart.

Load times are a bit lengthy:

http://webmup.com/Ji751/

About 35 seconds or so long.

I sent you a request, my handle is Lesquille. Just don't share my trophy list with the Codex at large, I have a reputation to maintain. :M

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I got my PS4 over the weekend.

I've also been watching every youtube video I can find for Bloodborne... to the point where I am now watching Souls videos.

March 24th is going to take FOREVER to get here.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I got my PS4 over the weekend.

I've also been watching every youtube video I can find for Bloodborne... to the point where I am now watching Souls videos.

March 24th is going to take FOREVER to get here.

I'd honestly advise you not to. Game was released like a week ago in uncivilized parts of the world, so it's spoiler city out there.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
any decent LP out there? definitely not buying a PS4 just for this mediocrity

Not only are you preemptively jumping to the conclusion this game is mediocre, but you want to willingly watch an LP of a souls game?

:whatho:

praetor

Arcane
curious to see the story/world/art design, but the combat looks like same old same old except a bit worse which after 3 games is just not good, plus it'll forever be a PS4 exclusive and i doubt i'll be paying for a From game again so "mah spoilaz" and "mah firstest playthrough" don't apply for me here

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, gonna wait at least a week then check user reviews before I make any real considerations to buy this along with a PS4. Don't wanna spend over $500 on something I might not even end up enjoying.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The PS4 has lots of other great exclusives too, though.
the-order-1886-listing-thumb-ps4-us-09un14

:negative:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
curious to see the story/world/art design

If you want to spoil that stuff for yourself, it's already plastered all over the internet since random stores in dubai and other shitholes started selling it like a week ago. Random ass mom+pop stores in the states are also haphazardly letting people buy it too.

but the combat looks like same old same old except a bit worse which after 3 games is just not good

How so? No shield turtling, no havel armor tanking, and it's supposed to be faster and more responsive as a whole. Dark Souls 1 is probably my favorite game, and this is still an upgrade in my eyes.

Turning an ARPG that allowed for a variety of playstyles into a (seemingly) one-dimensional action game is a step forward?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Turning an ARPG that allowed for a variety of playstyles into a (seemingly) one-dimensional action game is a step forward?

They're removing defensive crutches and things that completely trivialized the game (powerful ranged magic) in order to make the game world more hostile and the atmosphere that much more overbearing.

It should also be noted that the weapons I've seen (I'm trying to not spoil things for myself) play quite differently from one another due to their transformative states, and simply possessing different properties in how they handle and function. I would say, that from what I've seen, the weapons in bloodborne function more differently than the souls' games melee weapons ever did. Going by that, they're adding playstyles. I will be able to give you a better impression of this in a week, or if you're part of the buttblasted camp who isn't going to play the game, go ahead and do some research - the info's already all out there at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom