Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I don't get why would they abandon the Estus mechanic, it was not only good, it was the best healing system I've seen in an RPG.

Because people would bitch that they were copying Dark Souls.

DragoFireheart

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I don't get why would they abandon the Estus mechanic, it was not only good, it was the best healing system I've seen in an RPG.

But now they are bitching that they are copying Demons' Souls so why bother?

Because they are trying to implement new design and artistic ideas (for better or for worse).

Grinding for healing items is hardly new.

DragoFireheart

But now they are bitching that they are copying Demons' Souls so why bother?

Because they are trying to implement new design and artistic ideas (for better or for worse).

Grinding for healing items is hardly new.

Putting a cap on grinding for them is "new" for the souls series (unless you consider 99 grass from demon's souls a meaningful cap).

"But why make me farm?"

It forces you to conserve healing items instead of using them when you "reach the next check point". I believe that is the reasoning.

Machocruz

Arcane
Can't say I've ever been a fan of bosses continuing to attack while you're down so you can wake up into their attack and get killed. Monster Hunter does this a lot and it's annoying. Actually, it's more annoying that you lay there for a few seconds after getting knocked down because "realism" or something.

And that's hilarious to me. These PS4 niggas got nothing else to play, this is their savior. So they can bitch all they like, they're still going to buy.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
God the wakeup attacks in MH are infuriating for some monsters. The worst is when you get hit once, fall down, get hit by the wakeup, become stunned, get hit before stun wears off, and either die or repeat the cycle. Games with that kind of mechanic need to give you some sort of control on how you get up, the way fighting games do.

DragoFireheart

I think we'll see more companies go the exclusive console route.

Gaming as a whole is weak quality wise. Forcing people onto one platform could potentially be more profitable if it means weakening your competitor (Sony vs Microsoft).

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Shit's gettin' mighty spoilery in here. I want to go in as blind as reasonably possible for bloodborne.

Abandoning thread. See you in a week for the butthurt :salute:

Murk

Arcane
Do lanterns allow you to access your storage? Or do you have to go back to nexus?

Back to nexus... A Team strikes again:M

meanwhileInPoland You can only carry 20 blood vials based on a gamefags post I read.
You carry only 20 but if you find more they are sent to your stash in new nexus:M

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Unless we're going back to the Demon's Souls carry/wear system I don't see the issue.
I dont see a reason to change working system (estus flasks) to that shitty grindfest from DeS. Ffs miyazaki could come up with some good lore behind blood flasks in BB:smug:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There is some penalty to spam healing with the blood vials IIRC.

I like the estus system better, it forces you take your health seriously since you can't just fullheal between fights indefinitely.

Murk

Arcane
Watching a stream of it now, if anyone is interested: http://www.twitch.tv/wingman3ntertainment

No equip load, apparently, and seems things are a lot... simpler. Still, it's 2nd hand so can't really form too much of an opinion other than r1 stun is wayyyy too real.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No equip load, apparently, and seems things are a lot... simpler. Still, it's 2nd hand so can't really form too much of an opinion other than r1 stun is wayyyy too real.

Not simpler, more arcade compared to dark souls. There are no shields, you can't be defensive in bloodborne, you have to attack all the time. Bloodborne seems to be a more button masher.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Turning an ARPG that allowed for a variety of playstyles into a (seemingly) one-dimensional action game is a step forward?

Sometimes less is more, in essence Souls series at its core mechanics is an action game, strip all the rpg elements and you still get the same gameplay.

and you get bloodborne, bam.

Alfons

Prophet
No equip burden? So From basically embraced the idea of fashion souls? Seriously, unless armors give special effects the only criteria to choosing armor is the defense stats and looks.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No equip burden? So From basically embraced the idea of fashion souls? Seriously, unless armors give special effects the only criteria to choosing armor is the defense stats and looks.

m'hunter, preorder to get exclusive fedora

bloodborne-fedora-messenger-skin-screenshot.jpg

He's been streaming for ~16 hours at this point.

Three boss spoilers:
Skeleton Lords 2.0 - "Shadow of Yharnam"
Three dudes, two with katanas and one spamming fire orbs. When you kill one, the other two have snakes come out of their heads. Dude killed 'em on first try.

Duke's Dear Freja 2.0 - "Rom, the Vacuous Spider"
Giant magic spamming spider surrounded by tons of tiny ones. By tons I mean fucking TONS (more than Freja).

Gaping Dragon Butt Hybrid 2.0 - "Amygdala"
Takes different damage depending on which limb you hit. Head seems to take the most damage. Does lots of stomping with "broken shockwave hitboxes" and jumps up into the air like dragon butts.

Of course visually they are completely different, but gameplay-wise it's def. similar

Mid to late game mobs all seem to have grab attacks. I've seen so many it's starting to remind me of QTE bullshit.

Inb4 B-TEAM ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY LAZY GANK MOB DESIGN

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom