Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
itz happening men. huge influx of people who never touched a souls game but bought into the hype (93 on metacritic) and no games for PS4 are getting fucking crushed by even the early game. as of writing this, only 23% of players have cleared cleric beast, and only 16% have cleared father. this is the pleb bamboozlement of the generation

To be fair I bought the PS4 and Blodborne last night. Took awhile to do updates, cooked dinner, only got and hour and a half to play.

Yeah and you're going to kill the first two bosses within like 3-4 hours of gameplay since you're a souls veteran.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
itz happening men. huge influx of people who never touched a souls game but bought into the hype (93 on metacritic) and no games for PS4 are getting fucking crushed by even the early game. as of writing this, only 23% of players have cleared cleric beast, and only 16% have cleared father. this is the pleb bamboozlement of the generation

To be fair I bought the PS4 and Blodborne last night. Took awhile to do updates, cooked dinner, only got and hour and a half to play.

Yeah and you're going to kill the first two bosses within like 3-4 hours of gameplay since you're a souls veteran.

I got as far as some sewers that comes shortly after the two wolves that seem to be a Beef Gate to somewhere else. Went into the sewers a bit more, died at some point, keep getting antsy about lack of checkpoints or shortcuts.

EDIT: Did they give backsteps a shit ton more i-frames? I'm pretty sure I dodged an attack right at the beginning of the backstep animation.

I-frames for rolls seem to be the same as typically Fast Rolls of previous souls games. The dash-dodge while locked on seems the same as well.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

I got as far as some sewers that comes shortly after the two wolves that seem to be a Beef Gate to somewhere else. Went into the sewers a bit more, died at some point, keep getting antsy about lack of checkpoints or shortcuts.

EDIT: Did they give backsteps a shit ton more i-frames? I'm pretty sure I dodged an attack right at the beginning of the backstep animation.

I-frames for rolls seem to be the same as typically Fast Rolls of previous souls games. The dash-dodge while locked on seems the same as well.

I'll just say that's not a beef gate (if my understanding of beef gate is correct)

And yes, dodging is very fast/good in this game.

DragoFireheart

I'll just say that's not a beef gate (if my understanding of beef gate is correct)

I might try to go past them when I get the chance later tonight. The sewers just felt like the more natural direction.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

I might try to go past them when I get the chance later tonight. The sewers just felt like the more natural direction.

Minor spoilers if you care about that sort of thing

the end of the bridge is where cleric beast is, the first boss. sewers eventually will lead around to the second boss. (though I ended up beating the second boss first myself)

Machocruz

Arcane
Don't underestimate the desperation of the average console pleb right now. They'd rush off a cliff like lemmings if there were the chance of a decent new-gen game at the end of the drop.

If they survive the fall, they'll soon find they lack the motor skills to enjoy their prize. After that blow to their psyches, their desperation will reach a fever pitch. Without recourse to any other good games, their ears will perk to chatter of another promising game being released this weak. They'll hear comparisons to Dragon Age and something about a balder gate, and their spirits will lift at the sound of a game that will give them a further taste of what they so loved in 2014's majestic game of the year. They'll Open New Tab away from the hentai site they were perusing, and click to their favorite game distribution service, most probably Steam, as anything else is too under the radar for them to even be aware of. They'll download this new game, this new chance at filling the empty moments of their lives, and in the event they are able to get it to run, probably after hours of panicked searching on forums for answers to why the game won't run on their computer, they'll once again find themselves in a virtual hurt locker, for they will discover that just as they lacked the physical dexterity to make any headway in their once-savior, they lack the cognitive abilities to manage a party of disparate heroes in tactical combat against groups of enemies capable of killing one or some of these heroes. The majority of them will take to forums to air their various grievances, going on about how things such as difficulty and stats are outdated concepts in video games, how their once-savior is full of bad game design, why there is a reason game like that "wannabe Dragon Age" aren't made anymore. But maybe, just maybe, it will dawn on a bright few, a scant few, that they were the problem all along. That their collective lack of physical or mental dexterity and their desire for ceaseless blunt trauma stimuli and go faster-ness put them and their hobby into the position they are in now.

DragoFireheart

Phage I figured that the boss you mentioned is at the end of the bridge based on the previews. I'm going to keep going through the sewers anyways.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So, despite what I said earlier, I kept playing. Downed the 9th boss (for me at least, you can do shit out of order) joined the prestigious 0.1% club for beating him (not that it really means anything, just that im no-lifing to the extreme during the launch window)

DragoFireheart

Haven't even gone online yet due to the patch needing 3 hours to download.

Yes, my internet is shit.

Ya'll niggaz need to get a SSD. Even PS3 with its SATA 1 shit had a huge boost to loading times. Mah DeS loads almost as fast as DaS2 on PC now.

SumDrunkGuy

Based on the few hours I have played, I think Bloodborne is most certainly easier than the other three Souls games by a fair margin. Obviously that could change as I'm still in the early goings but thus far my experience with it has been surprisingly laid back and I haven't experienced any rough beatings like some of the shit I suffered through in the other games. I find that this is mainly due to two reasons, and both involve the healing system:

1. health potions aka "blood viles" restore HP instantly. Granted there's a *very* small window where you're left vulnerable while your dude consumes the potion, but your HP restores instantaneously. This is a stark contrast to Dark Souls 2's healing items which not only left you vulnerable for longer they also took half a freakin decade to replenish HP. And these blood viles are plentiful as fuck. They're essentially an estus flask that can be refilled a infinite number of times without the need of a bonfire. There has yet to be a situation where I've completely ran out of them and most of the time I'm carrying near the max amount.

As if that doesn't make your hunting breezy enough, there's also...

2. the offensive healing or whatever the technical term is where, after taking damage, you can immediately regain that lost HP if you damage the enemy quickly enough. And I love this mechanic btw. I think it adds some extra depth to the already awesome combat and persuades you to perhaps play a bit more aggressively than you normally would. This has made some enemy encounters super cheesy though. Quite a few times I was able to blindly charge into mobs of enemies while swinging my axe around like a mindless fuckin idiot and then walk away with barely a scratch, because I was constantly dishing out damage while I was receiving it. That's something you simply CANNOT get away with in other Souls games.

Now I'm not claiming to be a veteran god when it comes to Souls because I'm not. I'm mediocre at best, and in the past I would often have to resort to summoning other players in order to progress through certain areas and bosses. In Bloodborne, I killed the 2nd boss on my first attempt with a base level 10 character (I took a wrong turn and accidentally skipped the first boss so I didn't have the ability to upgrade at this point). After that I went back to find the first boss, unlocking all the short cuts I might have missed and brutally murder-raping every living organism I came across along the way. Eventually I found him and murder-raped him, also on my first attempt. This was all within a couple of hours time, most of which was played through with a base level 10, and zero summons. I shouldn't be able to do that because I aint that fuckin good.

Aint no Souls veteran in their right mind going to claim that this game is harder than Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, OR Dark Souls 2. I can only guess that the reason for all of the epic struggles is because some people are simply going through the rough stretch of adjusting to the more offensive style of play. I think the thing is, at least with me, was that going in I had a pretty good idea of how this game is meant to be played (just what I gathered from previews and interviews and such) so I immediately left any grand ideals and philosophies I had about Soulsian combat at the front door, and immediately forced myself to adopt a more buck wild and daredevilish style of approach. I kept getting fucked up for a little while but eventually I found the groove and started coasting. There's really not much to it and I'm sure plenty of other people will start coasting too once they stop playing like a bitch.

All that said, I'm still loving the fuck out of this game. Thus far it's had some of the absolute best level design, artwork, atmosphere, and combat that I've seen come from this "series" since Demon's Souls blessed us with it's existence back in '09.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
SumDrunkGuy

JUST WAIT TIL YOU GET TO THE AREA AFTER BEATING 9-10 BOSSES FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKK SHIT COCKS AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Magical airwave-traveling Bleed 2.0 is pretty good :smug:

I noticed they really like the mind flayer gimmick. I've seen a few enemies that do the magic stun 'n' grab attack thing.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual

I've finished all 3 D-Soul's games..I have not been able to beat the cleric beast (solo) yet. I've also run into the other boss of that level, LG...he wiped the floor with me. The pig though..I guess I lucked out and ended up behind it. Didn't seem boss like though. One r2-spin to win and 2 slashes finished it.

:negative:

scrub -> Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
How do you get those gems and shit for your weapons? I got my Axe and Gun to +1, bought the Yharnam armor set. But I haven't had any of those special gems drop yet. Yet I see people playing on the youtubes and they have shit in those gem slots I have not found yet. WTF? Where they at?

Zep--

SumDrunkGuy

I've finished all 3 D-Soul's games..I have not been able to beat the cleric beast (solo) yet. I've also run into the other boss of that level, LG...he wiped the floor with me. The pig though..I guess I lucked out and ended up behind it. Didn't seem boss like though. One r2-spin to win and 2 slashes finished it.

scrub -> Zep--

For Cleric Beast, get right up in his face and start circle strafing around him using the dash button while throwing in a couple of attacks here and there. He can't turn fast enough to hit you and it basically becomes a Mike Tyson versus infant kind of scenario.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer

scrub -> Zep--

For Cleric Beast, get right up in his face and start circle strafing around him using the dash button while throwing in a couple of attacks here and there. He can't turn fast enough to hit you and it basically becomes a Mike Tyson versus infant kind of scenario.

I guess I can try that...the camera is not the greatest on that fucking bridge though. Most of the time I can't see wtf is going on. I remember seeing some option about camera (or was it lock on) that I may need to disable?

Zep--

SumDrunkGuy

scrub -> Zep--

I guess I can try that...the camera is not the greatest on that fucking bridge though. Most of the time I can't see wtf is going on. I remember seeing some option about camera (or was it lock on) that I may need to disable?

Zep--

I had the same problem. The camera is fucking worthless during that fight. If you use the above method though you honestly don't even need your vision to win, lol. Just make sure you stay close to him. It really isn't that much different from how you would fight the Taurus Demon in Dark Souls. Just gotta move around a bit more in this fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom