Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Is there a way to tell if you've been invaded? I got attacked by a normal hunter dude in Old Yarnham, but I can't tell if he was a player or an NPC because he died really easily. Plus I didn't get any fancy INVADER VANQUISHED message.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Phage can you confirm if Hunter's Axe as first weapon choice is amazing compared to the other two?

As for the music box, if you look at the description on it after talking to the boy (I saw a user note near a window), it has the bosses name on it.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Phage can you confirm if Hunter's Axe as first weapon choice is amazing compared to the other two?

As for the music box, if you look at the description on it after talking to the boy (I saw a user note near a window), it has the bosses name on it.

I flat out never found the box at all, lol

Honestly... the cane is the best of the starters. Transformed, the whip can easily wipe out crowds of beast people, and the condensed mode is the fastest of the starting weapons.

Is there a way to tell if you've been invaded? I got attacked by a normal hunter dude in Old Yarnham, but I can't tell if he was a player or an NPC because he died really easily. Plus I didn't get any fancy INVADER VANQUISHED message.

You only get invaded in areas where it says "A bell-ringing woman rings a sinister bell" if you kill said bell-ringing woman, it prevents anyone from invading
These areas areas are all very late in the game. As a result, I never actually got invaded since very few people were that far in the game.

DragoFireheart

Damn this is much harder than souls

These bosses feel like mid/end game bosses of previous souls games. The flow of the gameplay is weird: the game wants you to time your dodges and attacks, but it also wants you to be aggressive. Being too defensive will get you killed.

Father Gascoigne was harder when I kept trying to keep my distance, especially in his second form. But if I dodged to his side and counter attacked correctly he was easier. If I practiced parrying more he'd be even easier.

One thing is for sure: DSP (Dark Side Phil) is going to get utterly wrecked by this game.

No Magic.

No Heavy Armor.

No Shields (beyond the joek that is Wooden Shield).

I await his tears. :yeah:

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Eh, honestly, at least on the first playthrough, there was nothing in this game that gave me THAT much trouble - hence me finishing it with 25 hours on the clock. Only the third boss (which is actually optional) and the final boss killed me more than 3 times. Then again, I'm not going to call this game easy by any stretch. I think I just have a lot of experience with souls titles and action games in general.

After doing some research, it seems I missed 3 optional side bosses that were very well hidden (I played the game almost entirely blind) but, I actually ended up killing a lot of other side bosses as well. Apparently the chalice has a ton of content, so when I eventually get back into the game there's that as well.

At the end of the day, this game really has nothing quite like the Maneaters, Ornstein + Smough or Fume Knight in it. That's not really a bad thing, and honestly, I think Bloodborne is a fanfuckingtastic title - just that the difficulty really isn't the main focus aside from a couple ridiculously treacherous levels.

DragoFireheart

At the end of the day, this game really has nothing quite like the Maneaters, Ornstein + Smough or Fume Knight in it. That's not really a bad thing, and honestly, I think Bloodborne is a fanfuckingtastic title - just that the difficulty really isn't the main focus aside from a couple ridiculously treacherous levels.

While this may be true, people that relied heavily on shield/havel armor/soul arrows in the previous games are gonna get wrecked.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

While this may be true, people that relied heavily on shield/havel armor/soul arrows in the previous games are gonna get wrecked.

Yeah, for sure. I just wish they'd take out co-op :smug:

DragoFireheart

Isn't the co-op limited anyways?

I still don't know how to help other people. I know how to use the bell to summon help. Haven't seen any signs yet or whatever to help someone else.

PS: do you know about how notes can have a gesture attached to them?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Isn't the co-op limited anyways?

I still don't know how to help other people. I know how to use the bell to summon help. Haven't seen any signs yet or whatever to help someone else.

PS: do you know about how notes can have a gesture attached to them?

No, co-op is almost the same from everything i've read. You just consume insight instead of humanity to do it. You ring the bell, then it tries to summon somebody for you who has the "help other people" bell ringing in their game.

DragoFireheart

Ah I see. I need to buy the other half first to BE summoned.

Gotcha.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Holy fuck, I just scored the greatest victory in the history of mankind.

(SPOILERS for Old Yharnam)

Heh, yeah, that guy seems to be notorious for falling off. I've seen a bunch of gifs now of him just slipping like that - in fact, I haven't seen anyone kill him flat out during the daytime.

btw, you can get the item he drops by reloading the game - it should be sitting by the minigun in case you couldn't follow the corpse to get it.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
NPC Summon helpers??? I've seen them by helping people at the bosses but have no idea how to get one myself. Is there signs or something to click on?

Zep--

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Also, i was picking up a glowy thing..and suddenly I was lifted up in the air and it said "Frenzy"...but after that I was back on the ground and nothing happened. WTF was that all about?

Zep--

Murk

Arcane
^ trap, you got grabbed by the giant spider things, sometimes you'll see a purple hole in the fabric of space-time -- you get damaged and frenzied then warped back. You may die, or may survive (likely die).

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
^ trap, you got grabbed by the giant spider things, sometimes you'll see a purple hole in the fabric of space-time -- you get damaged and frenzied then warped back. You may die, or may survive (likely die).

Yeah I got damaged (I guess) I was at a 1/4 health after it was over but I had just fought big chain dragging sounding dude and thought he had done that damage before I killed him, but i didn't see a spider. Anyway to see these "traps" in advance?

Zep--

Murk

Arcane
Some areas you can see a visual indicator it's a swirling purple vortex thing, if you wait and check it out -- I'm guessing there was an item nearby?

I haven't seen them all so I donno, but you get the idea. Frenzy = bleed, basically, so it does some % damage or bypassing damage.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Damn this is much harder than souls

For me it is in no way harder than Demons or Dark 1. Game is great though. This and Pillars just had to come out the same fucking week.

I felt it was harder at first also. After getting out of the mind set of (ds 1-3) hiding behind the shield and playing the waiting game, it's all starting to come together. It's the same dangerous game type, ie: YOU are the reason you just got killed. I'm sure I'll throw a controller at some point like in any other "souls" game I've played...but hey, you sleep it off and come back fresh with a new plan to perhaps...PREY SLAUGHTERED.

Zep--

Alfons

Prophet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom