Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

The face of an over-leveled shitter:

OLiJZlN.jpg

Tonight, ayy lmao joins the hunt:

aEbPJLQ.jpg

1BHlzcP.jpg

v8JlG3X.jpg

A meme is a meme, even in a game! (I am so sorry...)

I use Gascoigne's for my women but ok

I never cared about looks or "fashion souls".
Mx9X4cD.png

:troll:

In other news, these were probably the hardest bosses for me: Headless Bloodletting Beast, Pthumerian Descendant and maybe Logarius. Ebrietas can be extremely irritating if she spams the dash attack.

So BL4/SL1/no leveling or whatever you call it is going better than I thought... I was expecting to be stuck on Yharnam Gangbang for a while but managed to get em on first try. Rom died on 5th try. I also cleared some chalice crap, including the first pthumerian asshole encounter. I think DaS2 is a lot harder because of base AGL. Almost everything kills me in 1 hit at this point and encounters with NPC hunters are the worst. HP bloat is just too much in this game.

This is my 2nd run so things are still fresh. My 1st was VIT/END gauge so it ended up being too easy.

I tend to sperg too much with these games so it won't stop being fun for a while.

Gozma

Arcane
What is the origin of using "gouge" for the idea of putting all your points in one thing?

It must be different from RPGs 'cause we had "dump stats" coming from the other direction already.

Ivan

Arcane
let's talk level design. which areas did you feel weren't up to snuff?

-I gotta say, I don't care for Cainhurst Castle. Boring enemies, lots of empty space (e.g. the library with the huge squares). I do like the feeling of traversing rooftops and ledges, but the gargoyles and wymen weren't threatening. Logarius was great, however.

-if I had to choose another weak area, maybe Nightmare Frontier (the non Macintosh one). I generally hate levels where you have to be wary of giant rocks being thrown at you.

-weakest boss: of course the Bitches

also, I replayed Dark Souls 2 and forgot how fucking amazing Sunken King is, it's definitely up there with Iron King, yet I found Ivory King less awesome, more empty, frozen desolation, with blue skinned enemies and fucking Sonic Pinhweels.

Almost everything until Rom is really good.

Yahar'gul is cool cuz it connects with Hypogean Gaol and shit but then it's just a long ass corridor with swarms of mobs leading up to a cool looking boss which is shitty mechanically.

Cainhurst seems a bit lazy yeah... Frontier is the typical deliberately frustrating Souls area. Mensis should've been larger but thankfully still has tons of neat hidden areas.

Healing Church tower and all the places it connects to is a personal favorite.

Bloodletting Beast, Abhorrent Beast and Pthumerian Descendant are probably my favorite fights.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I honestly like all of the levels. I can understand Ivan 's criticism regarding Cainhurst, but I thought it had a pretty cool atmosphere - reminded me a lot of Painted World from DS1. I also really liked Nightmare Frontier a lot because it was so outlandish and beautiful in a very surreal fashion.

In terms of mechanics alone, discounting aesthetics/atmosphere, I would say that the beginning of Mensis' Nightmare Frontier was probably the weakest due to the frenzy mechanic forcing you to just run. (dunno if this was changed in the patches)

Favorite Fights: Gas Can, Gehrman, Amygdala (non-chalice), Nicolas Cage, Period Blood Queen

Worst Fights: Witches, One Reborn, edgelord katana faggot at the end of Eileen's questline (dunno if he was patched, but he was notorious at launch), that fucking giant dog in the defiled chalice

I recently replayed Dark Souls 1, and honestly the bosses in that game are a lot more impact imo. Too many of Bloodborne's play out the same way. In terms of bosses alone, I'd say it's something like Dark Souls > Dark Souls 2 DLC > Demon's Souls > Bloodborne = Dark Souls 2

On the note of DS2's DLCs, I've always felt that they were something like Sunken > Iron >>> Ivory. I didn't really care for Ivory to be honest.

Ivan

Arcane
Mcintosh is probably the worst boss in the game. He has like 1 melee move and 2 magic moves. It would have been more interesting if they removed the Call Beyond and added revivable skeletons.

Logarius was awesome.
Gascoigne was a great git gud boss fight
Gerhman was masterfully done

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Mcintosh, purely from a game mechanics standpoint sucks, sure. Did you really not enjoy chasing a madman around a series of hallways while he literally jumped through mirrors and rambled on about eyes on his head? I thought it was precisely the strange, hilarious and surreal touch that Bloodborne needed to drive home the themes it was trying to convey.

I'll take a fun little refreshing boss fight (especially after the sheer hell of the environment to get to him) over One Reborn which was a shitty Tower Knight rehash or DarkBeast: Big Guy Rehash #132 anyday.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Cainhurst is my favourite area atmosphere wise, plus it's where you find the knight set and Reiterpallasch, the best armour and weapon in the game. Feels like I'm playing Bloodbornevania.

On my first play-through I visited Hemwick after killing Vicar Amelia and missed out on the daytime shit.

bUn65GS.jpg

Bonus nightmare fuel:

OHcUXRe.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
Question: is there any way to stack physical with Arcane damage or does it have to be either physical or arcane?

Example, using the belmont whip and want to couple my phys w/ my arcane but my arcane output is 0 yet it has a C scaling and I have 25+ in Arcane.

Last edited:
The weapon is just telling you how much scaling you would get if you used elemental blood gems. In that case you would mostly be dealing 1 damage type.

You can try using weapon with two damage types and use Nourishing gems (increase all damage). I think Cursed Abyssal ones go up to around 20%.

There are also ~7% phy ~70 flat arc gems. I think those are good for split damage crap too.

I finished NG+ with my overleveled monster (250+). I'm about halfway through the waste of skin run.

I don't think I'm getting the same interest I got with DaS1/2 to replay this over and over with different setups.

The idea of having to do chalice dungeons from scratch every time you want to make a build with decent bloodgems is horrifying.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I found Bloodborne to be superior to Dark Souls in pretty much every way, but I still think Dark Souls is great (though I was more satisfied with Demon's Souls in the end). The Chalice Dungeons never bothered me for some reason I always looked at them as a worthy challenge for the long haul. Right now I'm working on acquiring the 'Lost Blade of Mercy' so I can pump some bolt gems into it and +10 it with uber Dex scaling. Should be fun..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom