Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

bminorkey

it's a gameplay game not a story game

there's also chalice dungeons and multiplayer and stuff

no reason not to play it

It's both story and gameplay. You know that. There are npcs to interact with and stories to be told and rewards to be earned.. and I've already seen it all.

Gameplay can be spoiled too. I don't know whether you value going into a Souls-like game blind or not, but to me it's the most important thing. Without the tension of not knowing what's around the next corner, or seeing new enemies and learning their move sets, or learning level layout and shortcuts, or discovering new weapons and how to use them, or learning the best way through the game, then there's not much point in playing. I've already seen it all. I know where to go and how to kill the bosses. That magical first playthrough is ruined for me, and I can already see that there is not nearly as much potential for replayability as there is in the three Souls games because of the lack of variety in possible character builds (or, at least compared to DeS and DS1. Fuck DS2; as soon as they introduced soul vessels the replayability was made obsolete). I don't even want to play Bloodborne anymore. If I've already had my fill of it, why would multiplayer or chalice dungeons appeal to me? ( and I already know that the chalice dungeons are mostly a waste of time because they don't fit well with the pacing of the game. )

Besides, I know that overall it doesn't really appeal to me because of the limited character builds and the more-or-less fixed combat style, and I don't really care for the hitpoint-bloated bosses. So I'm kinda glad that I'm done with it before actually playing it. I got some of the benefits without paying a dime, and I'm gonna have to settle for that. Though, of course, if those faggots at Sony had announced that it would be coming to pc from the beginning (if the rumor turns out to be true) then I wouldn't have spoiled it for myself.

I would recommend playing it still because DLC is coming out

Andnjord

Arcane
Gameplay can be spoiled too. I don't know whether you value going into a Souls-like game blind or not, but to me it's the most important thing. Without the tension of not knowing what's around the next corner, or seeing new enemies and learning their move sets, or learning level layout and shortcuts, or discovering new weapons and how to use them, or learning the best way through the game, then there's not much point in playing.
Then don't watch any videos of Bloodborne from now on. Unless you watched a lot of them chances are by the time it comes out on PC (if ever) you'll have forgotten the levels layout, boss patterns and enemies placements. I know it worked for me like that with Dark Souls I (got DS II on release). And there is a mighty difference between watching a video of someone pro killing a boss and actually coming face to face with it controller in hand.

Give it some time and the Soul's addiction will start screaming for more. Then again, you can also wait for DS III to come out, should be a multiplatform game.

On Bloodborne being released on PC:
I would imagine that Sony might release it for PC at some point, but certainly not any time soon, at least not before there are a more "killer apps" out on PS4 and Bloodborne sales have dried out. In a couple of years everyone who would have been interested in it on PS4 will have bought it, and it would be silly from them not to tap into that additional PC market. They'd have all the reasons for it, new market available for the low cost of porting it (we already know they will make a half hassed job at it) and a renewed interest in a game that has already exhausted its initial market.

Then again Demon Soul's is still PS3 only, but it was a much more limited success. No cardboard panels in every video game store for it unlike Bloodborne.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
Oh yes, also game was patched and some exploits on the pathfinder you could see in videos 2 months are no longer viable as they been fixed.

Some are but I dont feel bad with using that one in central since fuck them, others arent really as there are a reason why their placement, I did leaned one thing today, its good to have a backup weapon for certain enemies.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The PC port will happen when:

Demon's Souls, Uncharted, inFamous, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Little Big Planet, God of War, Playstation All Stars Rumble Thing, and many others also come to PC.

That is to say: never ever. (except for emulation someday)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Good luck emulating PS3.

There's a lot of strides being made in both PS3 and 360 emulation. So far it's mostly just getting random arcade/PSN titles to work, but it's still something. Like I said - someday.

360 emulation should be more than possible.

PS3's design is a Frankenstein monster of multi-cores and lulz.

praetor

Arcane

Good luck emulating PS3.

There's a lot of strides being made in both PS3 and 360 emulation. So far it's mostly just getting random arcade/PSN titles to work, but it's still something. Like I said - someday.

360 emulation should be more than possible.

PS3's design is a Frankenstein monster of multi-cores and lulz.

doesn't the 360 have almost the same Cell CPU as the PS3?

anyway, i'd be willing to bet PS4/xlolbone emulation will happen sooner than PS3/x360 emulation since they're both essentially mid-range PCs (someone correct me if i'm wrong. can't be arsed to check wiki :P)

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

anyway, i'd be willing to bet PS4/xlolbone emulation will happen sooner than PS3/x360 emulation since they're both essentially mid-range PCs (someone correct me if i'm wrong. can't be arsed to check wiki :P)

No on both accounts. That's a very off topic discussion though - I'll just leave it at "EMULATIN IS HARD!" and even though they have similar hardware to PCs emulating the OS, system quirks and whatnot can be extremely tricky. I mean, the original Xbox was basically a PC and that thing is still an undecipherable mess to emulation.

praetor

Arcane

No on both accounts. That's a very off topic discussion though - I'll just leave it at "EMULATIN IS HARD!" and even though they have similar hardware to PCs emulating the OS, system quirks and whatnot can be extremely tricky. I mean, the original Xbox was basically a PC and that thing is still an undecipherable mess to emulation.

not quite, from what i understand, the CPU of the Cell and Xenon are very similar (seems to me the differences are more like Ivy Bridge vs Haswell rather than something more extreme like Core vs Ivy Bridge or Intel vs AMD... but everything else seems different enough that it might as well be PC vs Mac :P)

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

not quite, from what i understand, the CPU of the Cell and Xenon are very similar (seems to me the differences are more like Ivy Bridge vs Haswell rather than something more extreme like Core vs Ivy Bridge or Intel vs AMD... but everything else seems different enough that it might as well be PC vs Mac :P)

That's a pretty vast oversimplification extrapolated from 2 lines of a Wikipedia article. The PS3's cell processor was notorious for being incredibly cumbersome to develop for, whereas the 360 was very easy in comparison. You'll notice that the PS3 is listed as having 1PPE and 7 SPE's where the 360 is a tri-core module. Very different in practice. That's a major contributor for why a great number of 360 games ran better than their PS3 counterparts. (Blu Ray's slow read speed vs DVD was another) On the flip side, when certain developers such as Naughty Dog understood exactly how to utilize the processor to its limits they pulled off some very impressive stuff like TLOU (even if I think TLOU isn't that great, it's technically very impressive for a PS3)

Again this is extremely off-topic. The point is you're making really big assumptions when it reality it's not that simple. Like I said, the original Xbox was essentially a heavily modified PC, yet emulation for it is an obscenely difficult feat that nobody is interested in tackling.

Drakron

Arcane
All I know is that I befriended Djura and I dont have to go back to that shithole of Old Yam again.

And it kinda bugged, he was hostile and always hostile until I gone from Hidden Village lantern all the way back to him and for some reason it worked.

Drakron

Arcane
Shit's not worth it. All you get is the DIRT OFF YO SHOULDA JAY Z emote.

I didnt want to fight him (says the one that goes fighting Paarl before Vicar), its kinda on a bad place to do it, I was just happy when I climbed up the stairs I could not get a lock on him something I learned after he nailed me with a shoot that make me fall to my death ... then I learned to lock before I even thought of getting out of the stairs.

And yes, its kinda bugged because for some reason he didnt became friendly, I only did that because at that point I had tried about everything and I was in Unseen Village trying to farm twins so I decided to what the heck, I might as well go down the hole and run back to him without aggro anyone, I am not sure but most of the time when I got near the Church I got Blood Echoes despite no enemies being anywhere near me, perhaps that was the cause but it just seems bugged or at least with very odd requirements.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This guys compiled a funny video with all the bosses:

My impression is that FromSW really dropped the ball with these ones. Is he right or he just exaggerates?

Ivan

Arcane
You gotta understand that the combat is so much faster that it can result in sloppy play that can get you dead in 3 seconds. Oddly enough, the optional bosses are the hardest of the game: Logarius and Ebreitus. Enemies who use magic are infuriating (fighting Rom for the first time, HAHAHAHA). While I wouldn't say any of the fights come close to the majesty that is the Sir Alonne fight, Father Gascoigne and Gerhman are great humanoid bosses that could serve Dark Souls 3 well (to avoid the whole Dude in Armor thing from DaS2)

Drakron

Arcane
My impression is that FromSW really dropped the ball with these ones. Is he right or he just exaggerates?

He does, some are pushovers like the Witches but its tense even if you are in no real danger it feels like it but reason why you fight them is to get the rune tool, it a boss players are supposed to beat because even if optional, you kinda need to use runes.

Now Bloodstarved Beast he is exaggerating because he failed to mention one thing, when he enter the last stage he have a poison aura and if you go blind you have no idea about poison because its not a thing you had to deal with and so you end up being poisoned and die because you never slotted antidotes, Paarl is kinda similar but for opposite reasons as you can find him and fight him and being pathetic underleveled for it, he is easy if you know that unlike pretty much most other Bosses you can get under him and attack him.

Its a game were you learn the movesets and act according, at that point is "easy" but then again, its like the first time you see the Bonefire in Central and have no idea how to deal with the enemies there, its not entirely a twitch reaction game, the git gud is simply using your brain to figure it out and they always pose a threat, even the Witches.

So I ended up playing this... Almost done dicking around with F/R/C chalice dungeons. Mun Man is the only boss left to take down. A few points:

-Exploration and level design seem like the best in the series so far although the game does drop down in quality around Nightmare Frontier and Mensis
-Mechanically this game feels too much like DaS1. Everything is faster and insane recovery makes rolling and dashing obnoxious. A lot of weapon movesets look like they've been copy/pasted from DaS1.
-Leveling VIT/END just breaks the main "campaign". Healing is just too OP. Because of blood gems and visceral attacks you'll never have to go past weapon requirements (unless PvP or lower chalice shit of course).
-Same hitbox shit, mob swarms and 1-shots all over the place... Yet I see no B-Team meme here. Muhzaki fanboys prove their faggotry yet again. I could go on about all the "unfair" and "broken" shit this game throws at you but it doesn't matter - every Souls game has this shit. Muhzaki fanboys will win every time.
-I actually found Depth 5 F/R/C dungeons kinda fun... The combination of tension, disturbing enemies (corpse wielding madman ftw) and environment is really good even though I know every room layout by heart at this point.
-It's a shame that most level 3 caryll runes are random rewards from chalice dungeons... Putting them in NG+ like DaS2 would've been a much better design choice for re-playability.
-CHROMATIC ABERRATION FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

My main char has 50s and 40s in all stats at this point. I guess I'll try a no-level run next.

Overall, Bloodborne is really good and quenches my thirst for more Souls shit.

From a shallow viewpoint it may seem like Bloodborne is a huge step away from Souls gameplay but I just found myself playing sped-up DaS1. I'll say this again - DaS2 introduced minor gameplay changes that mix things up a lot more than Bloodborne did for me.

Ivan

Arcane
is there any reason to pursue a ng+ in any of the games? I just find myself blasting through most bosses on my first go. I am noticing new red phantoms in DaS2 though, which is nice. Am I better off continuing with ma new toon?

Red Phantoms, some bosses drop +2 rings (ascetic in ng works too) and "Great Soul" bosses drop additional souls which make a few spells/weapons. Lost Sinner gets a bit tougher too. Before SOTFS patch NG/NG+ used to be separate in terms of online.

DaS allows gravelord servants to "infect" your world with red phantoms. DeS has no changes. Apparently BB has no changes either.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks for the info! However, I do love the feel of stat progression so I'm inclined toward NG than NG+

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom