Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Morgoth, May 2, 2014.

1. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    What, why? Soul Vessel was probably the best improvement of the entire DS2. I'm now slowly getting to max NG+ in DS1 and it sucks so much you can't change your build. Sure you can slowly bring all your stats to 60 or more but levelling is super sluggish from SL150 up.

^ Top  
  2. Stereotypical Villain Arcane

Stereotypical Villain
    The community is a bit divided about rerolls. The git gud crowd claims that you should just stick to your build.

My belief is that rerolls within reason is an okay thing to have since it lets you correct faults in the build you created when you were a newbie... or reroll it full stop to try something new. Seems like a win-win to me.

^ Top  
  3. Silva Arcane

Silva
    I hated rerolls in DS3.

I like the way DS2 did rerolls better, limiting it and at the same integrating it to the world better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    it undermines the weight behind your choices. you strip all of the power behind choices. you live and learn

I don't remember how re-rolls work in DS b/c I never fucked with them. Could you guys remind me?

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    The git gud crowd is retarded because I've never seen them criticizing anything about any Souls games, even if it was broken, bad or phoned-in. It's basically people who don't believe in improvement. Well, retards.

It absolutely does if it's unlimited and effortless. As was already said, the system in DS2 was great - you got only 8 charges per playthrough - too many IMO, I'd prefer 2 or 3, but better than none. And some of them were not in plain sight.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Arnust Learned

Arnust
    Rerolls only are a way to capitalize on build diversity, lmao. There's literally nothing wrong with it. "Capitalizing your decisions", as for leveling the wrong stat or overshooting a requirement. You can't experiment because you might fuck your character literally forever. This is a bit less grave in Souls because of the games being decently replayable and not that complex with their leveling. It's still impactful if you need to do a more complicated process, spend a resource or at certain milestones in the game. That it's present but limites is pretty stupid but it's better than nothing.

Let's go over them across the games, not accounting Cheat Engine:

- DeS: Letting yourself get killed at the final boss of the game a shitton of times with a degree of RNG and having to do over and over one of the most tedious segments of the game (if you don't kill the Blue Dragon, which is bullshit). Iirc you could also lose levels when killing yourself with enviromnental deaths when invading a world or getting yourself Soulsucked by another player. ALl of the options drain your last leveled stat so you're in for a long while at any decently high leveled character.
    - Ds1: None whatsoever
    - Ds2: Soul Vessels with limited pickups per NG cycle, but Ascetics can be used to have effectively infinite ones. Full effect, you can respec at the Firekeepers as soon as you get your first Soul Vessel.
    - BB: No idea
    - Ds3: *cracks knuckles* Only five respecs per playthrough, shared with the amount of respecs to the Character looks, at Rosaria quite damn far the beaten path, tied to Darkwraith Covenant. For some stupid reason, the only other motivation for PvP besides getting even more Embers you probably have stacks of already is the five uses of the tokens to respec. You actually don't need to join that Covenant as Tongues are the default reward for invading with the Red Eye Orb, but you will need to abandon your own current one anyway. There ARE some pickups in the PvE game, three total, but that's it. They're also a supperrare drop from Darkwraiths, which I'm not even going to count because fuck that. This all is considering that most of its gameplay systems are highly whimsy and really focusing in the more whacky builds can have you dealing literally no damage, especially in the later segments of the game and DLC. "Better than nothing" characterizes this one.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Soul+Vessel
    12, actually. Not like you'll ever need or find them all. You can do some neat stuff with it like unlocking the trader NPCs that need you having a stat minimun and thencoming back to your wanted stats.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Iirc bb has no respec whatsoever.

• incline incline x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Silva Arcane

Silva
    No respec in BB, Demon or DS1. This shows what the best games are. :obviously:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    • Brofist x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Silva Arcane

Silva

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. 80Maxwell08 Arcane

80Maxwell08
    So I honestly doubted I would come back to this last time I played it but after watching CJacobs's LP of it on youtube where he was just walking through everything in the early game, I decided fuck it. I bought the game again through PSN since the only physical copy that had the DLC on it have the X and O buttons switched around, which is incredibly fucking annoying as someone who already owned the chinese version, and tried again. 5 hours later, I'm at the area with Darkbeast Paarl gathering materials and getting the Tonitrus. I think I've finally fallen in love with this game. I'm doing the third floor of the first chalice dungeon you can get to, at least what I think is the first one, and fighting more bosses solo. Once I got the hang of parrying I actually started to have fun.
    EDIT:Beat the fire hound and got another chalice. No idea what to do with this now. Guess I'll go do Hemwick now.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    • Salute Salute x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Silva Arcane

Silva
    You can go to Hemwick by day/before night falls. Only found out this in my 10th or so playthrough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I always go to Hemwick before Amelia, then I go right all the way to closed doors.

If you go Old Yharnam, Hemwick then detour to the right of the Cathedral and go to the Gaol, I think you find enough blood shards to fight both Paarl and Amelia with a +6 weapon. :cool:

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. 80Maxwell08 Arcane

80Maxwell08
    Yeah I just killed Amelia but didn't examine the skull, then did Hemwick and killed Paarl. I used the summon on paarl because the LP said he was tougher than you are normally prepared. That ended up being about the oddest fight I've had in a Souls game. I wasn't hitting him half the time because how skinny his hit box was but he barely hurt me wearing the black priest robe (I'm pretty sure I was overleveled too) and I ended up stuck inside him hacking away while the npc poured flame damage on him. But it's done, I talked with Djura and got the powder keg badge, then went into the forbidden woods and got lost as hell. I ended up with 90k echoes before I accidentally ran into the shadows of Yharnam which honestly weren't tough. I had a harder time with the skeleton lords from DS2 my first time. Now I'm at Byrgenwerth about to fight the boss. It's going to have to wait until I wake up tomorrow because it's nearly 3AM here but I've already explored the whole area so I can just make a beeline to the boss fight. I may take a detour to the clinic since I saw notes saying it was in the woods as well. I ended up not talking to Valtr because I was unsure how covenants work and I'm not sure how much I want to read up on them, otherwise I may spoil myself on something.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You both should and shouldn't, but to go into details would imply some big spoilers.

Covenants don't work like in Souls. They fell more like something that was tacked on at the last moment just because. You can join them all, no problem, and freely switch between them simply by equipping the ring the covenant's rune.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. 80Maxwell08 Arcane

80Maxwell08
    Eh I'll give it some time then.

Well that's straight up odd but fuck it I guess, I'll go talk to Lord Buckethead. Also, I think the DLC is now open so I may screw around in there for a bit. See if anything instantly murders me or not.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    edit: *redacted* because might be too spoiler-ish.

May the Lord have mercy. :salute:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Silva Arcane

Silva
    What 80Maxwell08 said is one of the things I find cool in BB. The game is not really "open" but it always gives you a couple or more paths to pick at any given point in the game, and in a pretty organic fashion (no obligatory teleporting or nonsensic map transitions). It gives Yharnam a great sense of place that's only surpassed by Lordran imo. (never visited Boletaria with my own hands, sadly)

Imagine my agony having to traverse DS3 totally linear and teleport dependant world.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. 80Maxwell08 Arcane

80Maxwell08
    So I'm now at 3 paths to choose from.

The main path is at Yahar'Gul where there's a bunch of constantly respawning enemies. I would probably have just gone ahead and done this if I wasn't stopped dead by 3 hunters who all aggro at once.
    The second path is the nightmare frontier, which is full of poison but seems doable from what I've done so far. Fuck that one enemy tucked away that inflicts frenzy. Died like 3 times to it and lost over 50k echoes. Could have leveled up twice with what I lost.
    The third path is by far the most interesting to me, the Hunter's Nightmare. The DLC. I know from social media that the boss is Ludwig and I know that after you kill him you can get the Holy Moonlight Sword. I want that sword bad. I've also heard he's hard as shit. I have enough blood stone chunks to get a weapon to +7 and possibly +8 if I explore the nightmare a bit more but if I do that I'll have to wait until I can get the moonlight sword up to that level. So I have to fight him with a +6 weapon if I wait which may leave my damage lower than I want. I can use summons but that also gives him more health and defence, which cuts my damage even lower. I don't know but I do want that sword a lot.

Still haven't gone back to the clinic but I have a quick question. Am I screwing myself over by having too high insight? I'm over 80 right now and I saw a comment on the LP I was watching with someone alluding to high insight being a bad idea.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    The enemies stop respawning if you kill the bell maidens. Be aware that some are quite well hidden. Hint:
    Show Spoiler
    You need to drop off a ledge somewhere to get to one of them, but you totally want to do that because it gives you access to the cage that contains the key to the door at the very top of the Upper Cathedral Ward

The Frontier is boring as shit. The only reason to do it is because the boss drops another story chalice. So, unless you want to do those, you can safely skip it. Also, if you ask me, the boss is pretty boring.

Ludwig has 3 summons. The 1st one - forgot the name - is fucking useless and should be avoided unless you want to make life harder for yourself and blocks the summoning of the other 2 NPCs.

The other 2 are actually Valtr and the younger (I think) Maderas twin. You need to join Valtr's covenant in the forest and equip the rune to have access to the summons. Valtr can be found in the river of blood where the corpse bangs on the gate (also, kill the corpse, it drops 3 vials every time) and the twin can be found in the cave behind the axe giant. Basically, these 2 can almost kill Ludwig on their own, Valtr is almost as much of a beast as Ludwig himself.

You can basically let them tank and draw Ludwig when they need to heal, the twin usually croaks it in the first phase, but Valtr, if you help him out, will last the whole fight since he has plenty of vials.

Also, I presume you have good investment in Arcane, otherwise the Moonlight Greatsword is not going to do much good to you since the best thing about it are the transformed attacks which are all arcane (and use up your bullets).

That's bullshit. There are exactly 2 things insight does that are relevant to actual gameplay:

1. Some enemies get a couple of extra attacks - like the tall dudes with laterns in the Cathedral Ward which start shooting some homing missiles at a certain insight.
    2. It massively decreases your frenzy resistance. This is basically a non-issue since:
    a) There aren't that many enemies that inflict frenzy, and most of the need to hit you to do it, with the only notable exception of the Winter Lanterns and
    b) you can grab tons of sedatives from the Lecture Hall and, like I said, the only really annoying enemies that inflict frenzy are the Winter Lanters - the shit that killed you in the Frontier. To mitigate this, keep sedatives on hand and equip armor with high frenzy resistance (I think Djura's armor set has the highest values - the Ashen Hunter set).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. 80Maxwell08 Arcane

80Maxwell08
    Huh so that's where that key is. I'll have to go back to it.

Well then I might just go back to it later just for completionist sake.

All right. Thanks for the advice with him.

My Arcane is all right, but now my interest is dead due to it using more stupid bullets. I already got rid of any idea of using the cannon because it uses so many bullets. Why would I want to use more of the resource that my parry is based off of. Also, I still don't like that parrying takes up a resource but I'm living with it.

Ok that works. Then I'll hold on to it a while longer.

Well I finally killed those hunters in Yahar'Gul after trying to lure one out 3 times. Thankfully only 2 would come out when I lured from the main entrance out front. Got a bunch more blood chunks too. Almost enough for a +9 weapon. Still undecided for what to upgrade since there's a bunch of weapons I don't have just yet. I still like the Beast Cutter and Tontitrus a lot so I may go for one of them.

^ Top  
  21. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Equip either the rune that allows you carry more bullets or equip the one that lets you carry more vials (+4, if I remember correctly). Better yet, equip both. The reason for this is you can sacrifice health to make bullets on the fly. Make bullets, pop a vial to regain health or, even better, make bullets when you have enemies nearby and use the rally mechanic to gain back your health.

Now, I haven't really used Moonlight because I never had an arcane build, but AFAIK, it has a normal slash arcane attack that uses no bullets. It only uses them for the ranged attacks. If you run out of bullets, it still does damage since most of the hits are pretty much slashes and thruts but they won't have the added wave-like attack. And you can always use it in non-transformed mode that deals less arcane damage, but never uses bullets.

The best use for insight is to spend it at the insight shop. There's the regular blood echoes fountain near the doll at the bottom of the stairs, and the insight fountain on the hill where you can enter the workshop through the side door/window.

You can get armor sets there (generally, the armor from bosses) or you can trade it for upgrade materials such as Chunks and Stones Rocks. That's what I did with it. I had something like 5 weapons at +10 and another 4 or 5 at +9 at the end of just my first playthrough.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Djura attire. Armor is for Dark Souls plebs. :obviously:

(and Eileen plague doctor mask is better than Djura cap against frenzy)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Silva Arcane

Silva
    80Maxwell08 , later tell us how your adventures went.

And I suggest you try a pure arcane sometime (maybe on your third or so playthrough). It's hard at first, but gets awesome mid to late game.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. 80Maxwell08 Arcane

80Maxwell08
    Still jumping between things. I beat the One Reborn, then hit up the clinic and was not expecting to find her pregnant. Also did all of Cainhurst and went to Alfred to give him the summons. Did a couple of chalice dungeons as well and tried finishing off Eileen's quest. Fuck the Crow of Cainhurst. Holy shit if this guy could be summoned he could solo bosses. I'm about to try one more time with the Knight's Set so hopefully that helps.

If/when I do a second playthrough, I'll probably go Bloodtinge since it's the one stat I've basically done nothing with.

EDIT: Finally killed the Crow.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    That's why I told you not to go to the clinic. :) The pregnancy is triggered by beating Rom. Though you do get to fight her if you go there earlier, but, if you kill her, you lose the cord. From a story perspective, you do find out more if you go after though.
    Here's a tip:
    Show Spoiler
    Do note that he loses life every time he powers his Chikage and he only heals once. Basically, you cheese him by waiting until he is down to about 1 quarter health and has already healed. The best move is to learn how to dodge through his attack when he runs at you, get a couple of hits in and repeat until dead.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.