Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Morgoth, May 2, 2014.

1. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Hey bros, if you like what Soulsborne does with themes and world-building, you should take a look at Automata. It's amazing. I've just finished it, and I think Souls fans who appreciate the more subjective aspects of the series should take a look.

Just saying. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    I saw one Nier playthrough and it's way too anime for my taste.

I see a lot of tips like "if you liked Dark Souls check out this anime game". Problem is I like Dark Souls world and art because it's NOT anime. A couple of Ghibli movies are among my all time favorites but generally I can't stand anime, sadly.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Silva Arcane

Silva
    Well, I would never play Dark Souls by watching a playthrough because I hate fantasy and anything that has dragons. And here I am.

But yeah, if you already saw what's the game is about and didn't like it, thats fair. Like, you know, giving a proper chance to Ludwig instead of co-oping it on sight like certain codexers do. :roll:

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. meanwhileInPoland Arcane

meanwhileInPoland
    lol at you cucks who couldnt even beat Gael and prefer gimmick shit like storm cuck or maiden asstrea:lol: Gael, Artorias, O&S, Raime, Gundyr, Alonne, NK, Twin Faggs, Sihn, Friede, Manus, Ivory King etc are the highlights of the Souls games and prefering muhh feeling and atmosphere over gameplay is fucking decline. Big Knights with Swords are best fights in 3rd person action games. Just fucking deal with it.
    if there is no challenge in beating boss than there is no reason at all for him to be put at the end of level. The whole 5-3 in Demons could be a fucking cutscene with QTE where you either press f to pay her respects or press d to give her a dick and i wouldnt see a difference.
    You want to have more gimmick boss fights? Cool make them more like Old Hero or Executioner Charriot and less one trick ponnies like Storm Cuck or Faggs Idol.

And stop sperging out over Latria. Its cool the first time you play it but after that its the most overrated level in Souls games. Find the keys, avoid mindflyers bullshit paralazying attack and kill 3 shitty bosses :roll:

• Edgy Edgy x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Check out The Surge. It has all the "gameplay" you could eat and zero feeling or atmosphere or anything else, really. You'll love it.

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. CptMace Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I wish Sony could release a port of Demon's Souls on PC, so all these frustrated fucks could finally be at rest.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    You understand you can have both types in a game, right? And having some of the 'atmospheric' bosses to counteract the exhausting gameplay style of the boss fights you're talking about is what makes Souls games enjoyable on a first playthrough. You fully expect to get your shit pushed in by a boss, only for it to instead to leave you with a different kind of "WTF?!" moment, and Maiden Astraea is probably the pinnacle of that feeling, largely due to the wonderful song playing while you do it. It was also unique in giving you two sets of dialogue depending on which of the two you killed in the room first.

Fool's Idol was a mediocre boss by itself, but punished those who either rushed to her room, made a wrong turn, or those who simply don't properly explore areas. And yes, Latria loses its appeal after the first time, as does every other area in the entire game. But, it's that initial reaction to a level, your first time going through where you're hesitant because of those bell ringing fuckers, timing your rolls to the arrow traps, getting grabbed by something jumping out of an iron maiden, and screams in the background that all come together for an unforgettable experience first foray.

Now compare that to Dark Souls 3, where they already fucked with the mechanics so that it's a frustrating amalgam of both Souls and Bloodborne, but inferior to both, then made just about every single boss have bloated HP, multiple stages, and were just rollfests till you get 2 swings in (1 if you're using a great weapon) and you go back to defense mode. Most of the bosses weren't terribly difficult, they were just drawn out and the game got...boring, usually not long after the Dancer, which is one of the better boss fights, because her poise can be broken frequently, she's challenging, and is one of the few bosses you can beat by blocking, dodging, or just backing away from a lot of her attacks.

Champ Gundyr sucks btw. Dude is another boss you just circle strafe, roll, and punish. That isn't a fantastic fight. Friede I'm torn on. It was a CLEAR ripoff of Laurence and Maria, was the biggest showcase of how they fucked the Souls combat system because they told Heavy Weapons to go fuck themselves with their nearly non-existent attack windows, and the 3 stage fight was clearly put in just to frustrate you.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. meanwhileInPoland Arcane

meanwhileInPoland
    fuck off retard. surge's shitty gameplay with subpar level design and clunky combat doesnt even come close to Souls feeling. Hang yourself from doorknob. You'll love it.

LOL. You know what is interesting uniqueness in Souls games? Second phase against O&S depending on who i killed first not two lines of dialogue from nun with brain tumor and her gayass knight. Or Raime changing his phases depending on your equipment.

Not every area loses its appeal after the first time. The run from Firelink Shrine through Undead Burg-Undead Parish-Depths- Blightown - back to Firelink is fucking awesome even on your 10th run. Because it doesnt rely on your feelings and catchy song. Sunken City is better level than Latria so is Ringed City itself with the latter being great not only from gameplay perspective but also interesting lore.

You can sum up every boss in Souls game with circle strafe and roll/pary/hide behind greatshield. Gundyr, Manus, Artorias, Raime, Pontiff, Gael anyone even fucking Orphan. Yet if you decide not to parry Gundyr but grab a two-hander and time your rolls its intense as fuck fight for average Souls player. Same with Gael or Gwyn. It is self imposed restriction and its fun even for players having couple hundred hours in Souls games. You cant do that with Fagg Idol or Dragons God and those "puzzle" fights are shit on every next playthrough. Fighting Raime doesnt get boring even on ng+7 cause motherfucker can put some pressure on you.

The only boss with bloated HP in DS3 is Demon Prince and fight itself is good. It is probably the best demon/beast fight you have in Souls games next to Flamelurker. It is certainly better than any beast fights you have in Bloodborne where you mostly fight camera.

Dont know what is wrong with you but i beat Friede on my first run with astora greatsword.It took about 7-8 tries cause i am rather average Souls player but if you give up on boss on 5th death like some fags in this thread than you just need to git gud or play some other games instead of whining about "not going to put up with that shit" or "not having time for that".

Farmed sunlight medals on Friede with Hollowslayer greatsword/Cathedral and Profaned. All of them viable if you work your timing and spacing instead of spamming R1 and rolling like a retard.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Hyperion Magister

Hyperion
    Did it with the same weapon, in approximately the same number of tries. I even posted about it on the DS3 thread, go look up the post if you don't believe me. The weapon art absolutely smokes her in the first phase (which is a joke of a fight, and easier than your average Black Phantom), but the 3rd phase gets needlessly drawn out, because depending on her AI a basic R1 is too slow to catch her after she finishes the neverending (6 or 7 hit?) combo. Not-Laurence was added to one phase just to draw the fight out a bit, and makes the camera a pain in the ass if you lock on (obviously you unlock for that phase to make it bearable) and draw things out further. If anything, he made it easier because he was such a huge, easy target. It would have been better with only 2, more distinct and difficult phases instead of shoehorning a 3rd phase simply for novelty.
    I stand by my opinion that O&S is one of, if not the, most overrated fights in the series at the risk of sounding like a hardass.
    Good boss fight? Yes.
    Anywhere near the level of difficulty / awesomeness every Souls board (including this one) would lead you to believe? Not even close. Compared to most bosses (especially in latter entries), they're incredibly passive with huge gaps for you to heal through, and relatively low damage for bosses, particularly in the first phase. It's also unfortunate that the rest of the game takes a nosedive after that fight. Do it as a GiantDad and laugh at Ornstein's piddly bitchstick. Trying to kill Ludwig at level 45 with a Kirkhammer +5, on the other hand, was the single most disastrous thing I've ever tried, however, and think I cut 3 years off my lifespan.
    How is running through 5 areas comparable to one area with a single, distinct art style? Try instead comparing, I don't know, Irithyll Dungeon to Tower of Latria (3-1 specifically), since it was clearly added as a throwback, and kinda failed outside of looking pretty cool, and having irritating screams. Same goes for Profaned Capital while we're at it - cool looking area, huge letdown in its execution since it was too damn small.
    DS2, and SOTFS in particular, is imo, the pinnacle of the series' gameplay, and as such, shouldn't be compared to the others. I'm still butthurt about the removal of powerstancing. Raime is a bad motherfucker, and my favorite boss of all. As a side note, I think he has the coolest chestpiece in the game, except for maybe Throne Defender. Shame his helm was too skinny on the player, though.

Sir Alonne was too weeby for my tastes.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. praetor Arcane

praetor
    i have to agree with meanwhileinpotatoland: DeS has to be one of the most overrated games ever. don't get me wrong, it's still a good game, and as a whole package it's still better (imo) than DS3 or DS2 vanilla. but as a game compared to the others, it's only strong point is atmosphere. it's not even much of a storyfag or lorefag game. mechanically it's by far the worst, the weapon selection/balance is terrible, the upgrade system awful, and the majority of bosses are horrendous (tower knight, spider, phalanx, adjudicator, idol, offlineMonk, leechmonger, the one in 5-2 whose name i forgot are all just plain bad in every way. the rest range from "awful but at least it looks cool", like Astrea, Storm and Dragon God to "finally a meh fight that doesn't put me to sleep", like penetrator, flamelurker and allant [the only 3 "proper" bosses. still mediocre fights overall]), puzzles/gimmicks or not. and it has, what, 4 good levels, maybe 5? in retrospect, thanks to the overreliance on gimmicks and seriously lacklustre weapon/build variety, it's by far the least replayable Souls game to date, bar none. i had my fill of the singleplayer halfway through my 2nd playthrough (and yes, it was my first Souls game. i didn't play on release, but a couple of months after DaS1 came out and i got a PS3 for both)

that said, it's still a must play for any fan, however casual. and i'd rebuy it instantly if they released it for the PS4 (0 chance for a pc port), even with just minimal graphical upgrades. and yes, it's definitely critical to take into consideration that it was the first and as such it is arguably the most important and the historical context definitely plays a huge part when trying to asses the game quality in absolute terms... but relative to the rest of the series it's... eh

and like Hyperion up here finds O&S the most overrated fight mechanically in the series, i find Astrea the most overrated "but it's so emoshunahl" fight thematically in the series. the "omg so emotions" is just so cliche`, shallow, pedestrian and shoved in your face. 0 subtlety (and as such, to me, 0 emotional impact). Ceaseless Discharge is several orders of magnitude better in that regard

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Wow, Ceaseless Discharge? Um.

Look, I agree with your general point. Gameplay-wise DeS is kindda raw compared to the sequels (except DS3, we don't talk about that shit here) simply because From kept refining the mechanics. But looking at it from a different angle - it's just astounding how much got Miyazaki right at the first go. Now we take most of it for granted, like "ofc it had to be that way"...but it hadn't, really. It's been 10 goddamn years of everyone and their parrot trying to copy Souls-likes and nobody got close to even From's first attempt. Pretty telling.

As for the bosses....as was already said: if your mindset is "if it's not a fast knight it's awful" then it's just a personal preference. I completely disagree, I don't get it why would anyone require the same boss type over and over and over again but hey, it's a free country. We could argue about that till we're blue in the face but we'll never go anywhere.

^ Top  
  13. Arnust Learned

Arnust
    I mean, DeS has a lot of literally turd bosses. But they still do the job because they're hardly offensive (Maneaters can suck a sack of balls though), even fucking Dirty Colossus has a cool little idea behind it be it lore or gameplay wise, and with a majority being a gimmick boss, you hardly ever feel like you're fighting the same shit over and over. Except for Leechmonger-Dinghy Colossus you don't have two bosses in a row that are similar in any real way, and whoever preferring more traditional duel fights, there is a fair bit of them as well, the "real" final boss being one of them.

This has been, for the most part, been followed in other Soulsborne. Even Ds2 which is the one that got the most shit boss wise does this, maybe even better in the gimmick part but worse in the variety aspect.

I think the Boletaria and Stonefang bosses are all pretty damn solid (except for their first one), Idol of Fools is a really atmospheric one well fit into the area's lore and atmosphere even if the fact that it's immortal unless you kill that dreg hidden after an unassuming balcony and having you walk like 1000m to get it done is kind of bullshit, and that it's Pinwheel's sister (way more dangerous really. I won't go over every single boss but my favourite of the game probably is the Boletaria assortment and the Storm King. They are very memorable when they aren't just drab and mediocre.

I, for one, am not one of those who play for the bosses. If you ask me, they've become this myth of them being the peak of the quintessential Souls ball busting difficulty, when they are a relatively minuscule part of gameplay. Their purpose is to be the beads in the thread that is the progression, offering some much needed rest of the quite exhausting exploration and traversal through the levels, to be treated by the set piece of the soundtrack, an at least somewhat cool looking boss, beat them, get a shitton of souls and go home happy. Bosses is when the designers get to release the gimmick valve and can get as creative as they want, in any of the aspects that compose it. It's usually a treat for lorefags as they are usually built up to and have a role in the "story" in a way most NPCs aren't. And designfags get to go on how they are part of player conditioning and yadda yadda.

While I'm not either on the side of the people clamoring obviously non-bosses as the best EVA, Astraea was a pretty awesome moment even despite being fully knowing of the ordeal. It was what DeS did best in a single fight, and that's why it was genuinely great. Even with some reactionary triggers to make the scene less staged and more organic, to not just be PRESS G TO KILL IT ISN'T IT SAAAD other games with this situation really like to do. I do wonder why they haven't really tried to repeat it considering how welcome would it have been with some boss characters not being another fucking duel; I can only think of it happening with Aldia and Nashandra, if you believe that their fights being so passive and relatively simple despite being the finale is intentional, and maaaaybe Gwyn even if that's only in the "story" level.

Now, some ideas simply don't fucking work, have strange executions, are ill-placed, overly contrived, hard, easy or broken, most of that happening because half-ass and rush, but eeeven then another of the aspects will be doing its job. We simply can't have an Artorias, Maria, Astraea or Fume Knight, that'd be quite unrealistic and mske them only more dreaded, but they sure could go all-in more for some concepts, work a bit more on the spectacle especially considering now there's the tech for it.

Albeit if you ask me, the WORST boss fight in the series, which is a fucking insult to the term, is the Ancient Wyvern at Archdragon Peak in Ds3. (Haven't played BB) It's do embarrassingly bad, it's worse than any of the other dragons, gimmick bosses, "the boss is the arena" bosses, and it doesn't even have anything to it, it's just a fucking dragon- excuse me, WYVERN, an oversized version of the one you saw ONE HOUR INTO THE GAME and likely a couple more times depending on play order, and the execution of the gimmick is have you through one of the shittiest levels on the game for a bit and then having you one-shot it in an added pretty pathetic showcase of the janky hitbox es having you move like five meters through the air horizontally to meet the head attack animation well. It's just a mistery to me why is it a boss when it could just be an encounter like the one later in the same level with the exact same dragon.

- On the other matter, I'm pretty sure just alone The Surge, Salt and Sanctuary, Nioh and -eurgh- Lords of the Flaccid aren't THAT far from it and overdo it in some aspect. Nioh gets praise from bloody everywhere and is held above Souls general in aspects like Combat and whatever else, The Surge's sprawling huge levels with actually believable but also tight level design, or S&S's, uhh, not really having anything to do with it. Oh, and LOTF has a knack for looking better than even Ds3 years before it, pity for the little personality.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    It's only January 5th and we already have the Crown of Most Moronic Post of the Year.

:timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn::timetoburn:

• Brofist x 6
    • Shit x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Stereotypical Villain Arcane

Stereotypical Villain
    Finally got my grubby mitts on the Chikage. Gonna dick around with it a bit and see what I make of it. Noooot too sure that I'd be opposed starting over if it proves to be arse. I donno, it just seems like Bloodborne is geared much more towards strength and arcane builds than skill and bloodtinge but that might just be me being a massive sperg about it.

Guns are fun though so, hey, that's one point of merit towards bloodtinge.

^ Top  
  16. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Chikage rocks nigga. It just rakes some getting used to since you deal with the life drain in trick mode. Make sure you invest in Bloodtinge to get max benefit.
    Skill has some great weapons as well such as Blades of Mercy, Burial Blade, Beasthunter Saif or the Rakuyo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DragoFireheart all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

DragoFireheart
    Chikage is probably the only katana that's worth being seen as cool. Takes a bit more skill to use compared to other weapons. You must properly manage the HP drain. Have to beat a challenging boss to earn.

^ Top  
  18. Stereotypical Villain Arcane

Stereotypical Villain
    I had said boss down to below 5% four times before I finally got him. Felt pretty good.

Got a question about the Burial Blade though: Won't the bloodtinge-heavy build I'm currently running have an impact on its effectiveness? I was planning to stick to about 25 skill and pushing bloodtinge.

^ Top  
  19. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Apparently the chikage boss can be cheesed pretty easily, I remember ENB showing the strats. And yeah, everyone on Youtube is cumming their panties about chikage, best weapon ever and such. Me, when I get my PS4 my first run will be either with the circular chainsaw or the logarius wheel. Those seem to me like by far the coolest weapons.

^ Top  
  20. sullynathan Arcane

sullynathan
    DragoFireheart I'm serious. Dark Souls 2 is better than Demon's Souls is a lot of ways, including the DLC's just makes Dark Souls 2 a much better experience than Demon's Souls could ever be.

Played the Surge, it doesn't scratch the Souls itch.

No. The various poop monsters in Demon's Souls suck, The storm beast sucks, maiden astrea isn't even a real boss. Champion Gundyr is actualyl playable at the very least.

i literally felt like I was fighting the exact same monster multiple times do to the low build variety in Demon's Souls. You ingrates talk so much shit about Dark Souls 3 when no other Souls game has only one worthwhile weapon in it. Demon's Souls is the only game in the entire franchise that you can get one weapon that allows you to clear nearly every enemy and boss throughout NG+ and onwards.

^ Top  
  21. Arnust Learned

Arnust
    I actually really like Gundyr and Champion Gundyr even more. The set piece is amazing, it's fast but not TOO fast, big but not humongous. I like that he seems almost out of a fighting game with his combos, kicks, stomps and punches, and to me it's one of the few times Dark Souls 3's accelerated rythym actually worked for me. It's hard to chug and his mix of delayed, long range, and extremely fast short range doesn't make it do that rolling is as incredibly straight forward as it is with most bosses like Sulyvahn or even the Soul of Garbage.

And he's got this interesting role in the story considering Ludleth, the Untended Graves-Modern Firelink, cycles and the Fire Keeper. There's a pretty cool relationship between it and the player character. Pity all the game gets to show any of that is a tiny area and done loose dialogue.

I don't think he's a very good introductory boss though, I can't see what's the lesson with it besides "git gud xD", it's apparently parrying- in the firs boss of the game never to be encouraged again?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    Ludwig is a great boss fight and it's really satisfying when you finally beat him. I got really good at his first phase to the point where I could clear it quickly with no damage, but get destroyed in his second phase. Ludwig and Orphan of Kos are the two DLC bosses that stand out as some of the best in the game. Maria is good too although I beat her first try.

^ Top  
  23. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Burial Blade does indeed require Skill investment. It also has some scaling with Arcane but I found the Arcane damage to be shit just like on the Blades of Mercy so don't bother with it. With a heavy Bloodtinge build your melee weapons are restricted unfortunately to either the Chikage or the Bloodletter. The latter is a DLC weapon and requires a strenght investment but too much. Unlike the Chikage, the Bloodletter only drains life once when you transform it. Oh, and one of it's attacks builds frenzy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The lifedrain is also completely negated if you hit an enemy with the transformation attack.

Maria best boss in all of soulsborne.

^ Top  
  25. Stereotypical Villain Arcane

Stereotypical Villain
    Guess I'm too much of a spaz to settle for just one weapon and given that I'm already WAY too deep into bloodtinge to go back... I'm just gonna restart and dick around with another build I had in mind. Gonna be interesting to try other weapons and not be stuck with the threaded cane for 20 hours.

I know that rerolls are a bit meh as a concept in any game made by Fromsoft but I don't think it'd be unreasonable to grant one reroll, should you wish it, after going into NG+.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.