Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Book club for top 100/legendary games?

Should there be a book club for Codex?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Book it lads!! (Counts as yes)

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I was looking at the discussion of some of the best games ever and a lot of it leans towards "it's not as great as we think it is". If that's the prevailing attitude is it worth arranging a bi weekly or weekly replay of the top 100 games lists or general classics to see how opinion shifts on them? For those who never played they get an excuse to play them and for those who have get to experience it with fresh eyes and have a bunch of munchkins biting at their ankles. If nothing else it could lead to some interesting shake ups on the recommended games list for many of us.

To get things rolling. I think Half-life 2 would be a good first game if people want to do it. It's very cheap, a short play through and it's something which may have aged terribly due to it's ideas being implemented else where after it's release. Games could be suggested and agreed on for future installments if that one goes well.

seco

Educated
I'm sorry but your non rpg opinions are so fucking shit to care about.
FPS and HL threads are already proof of that.
I would ask /vr/ than listen to you. And even that sucks.
Also you can stop pretending to hate it for upvotes everyone knows your taste already
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11398

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
About 5 years ago we made a voting to determine the Top RPGs of all time. We had 234 codexers voting on 223 RPGs. After we got the ranking, we asked people to write why short reviews for each title. That was the RPG Codex Top 70 PC RPGs, one of my favorite things of the Codex and what later led to the CRPG Book.
Perfect! We're about 5 years off again and it would be a great time to revisit many of these classics and judge how well they stand up ready for another vote towards the end of the year. Thanks for the vote of confidence Gregz!
I think Half Life 1 would be better
Maybe but HL1 got a big update recently and people already played through it.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
it sounds interesting in theory

but nostalgia remains nostalgia, people do not play games objectively. it would be fun to play a game in a group and discuss it but doubt opinions will change

Humanophage

Arcane
I think the Codex non-RPG top is all right, but distinctly not great. Older RPGs are better than modern RPGs due to objective reasons like system complexity and better encounter design, but there is a tendency to make a cult out of any older games even if they are rather plain, such as boomer shooters. It's cool to play older RPGs, but there is limited appeal in all those action classics.

Last edited:

3 others

Scholar
I've done something like this earlier where we played games in sync at a leisurely pace (something around 1 year of Grim Fandango in a week) and poasted about them. If you can get around 5-10 active participants, it's worth it.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I haven't finished most of the classic CRPG's and I'm working on cleaning that part of my gaming list little by little. If this is the thread where people who revisit old games or are playing them for the first time I'm definitely down to join the fun. I've got Fallout NV and SW:KOTOR lined up for later this year. Willing to substitute them for something else if we do something like a big game group codex club thing.

Spike

Educated
I haven't finished most of the classic CRPG's and I'm working on cleaning that part of my gaming list little by little. If this is the thread where people who revisit old games or are playing them for the first time I'm definitely down to join the fun. I've got Fallout NV and SW:KOTOR lined up for later this year. Willing to substitute them for something else if we do something like a big game group codex club thing.
I am 180 hours into Fallout NV and I am nowhere close to finishing the main quest. At least I don't think. I still need to finish DLCs. It is going on like 8 years for this game to be incomplete. I think I just cleared 7 actually. So that would be cool motivation for me to finish it.

Spike

Educated
I am 180 hours into Fallout NV and I am nowhere close to finishing the main quest. At least I don't think. I still need to finish DLCs. It is going on like 8 years for this game to be incomplete. I think I just cleared 7 actually. So that would be cool motivation for me to finish it.
Correction, 131 hours. But still...

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Why would I spend time playing some random mainstream game that made some journalist's or hivemind's top 100? The odds of any one of my top 100 appearing on that list are less than 5%, I have probably played them already, and I'd rather just play the games I like instead. Now if you'll excuse me I am going back to playing Unity of Command 2 in between sessions of Hishouzame.

Spike

Educated
Why would I spend time playing some random mainstream game that made some journalist's or hivemind's top 100? The odds of any one of my top 100 appearing on that list are less than 5%, I have probably played them already, and I'd rather just play the games I like instead. Now if you'll excuse me I am going back to playing Unity of Command 2 in between sessions of Hishouzame.
What are some of your favorite games? Genuinely curious, you seem to have unique taste.

Gandalf

Arbiter
Half Life 2? No thanks. It's a game for kids & girls. Gravity gun is kind of interesting, but other than that HL2 is a pass for me.

Falksi

Arcane
The Codex Top 101 definitely needs an update; it's a fucking disgrace that The Witcher 3 is on there, pure decline in action, and this wouldn't be a bad way to do it tbh. I certainly believe that a collective opinion with multiple players who have recently played the game will make for a more respectable list.

But you need to start accepting other, more informed opinions in order to do this though Halfling Rodeo. You're one of the most ignorant posters on here; ignoring what Yuji Naka himself said about how he designed Sonic to be rerun at faster speeds is one of THE dumbest, most ignorant and blinkered things I've ever seen on the internet. When people like Great Deceiver and Nutmeg are telling you about SHMUPs for example, and they've played more SHMUPs in a week than you will have in your life, you need to stop and accept validity of their opinions, not ignorantly do a Dumb & Dumber on them.

So it's possible, but you have to lower your retard levels to make it practically achievable.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
But you need to start accepting other, more informed opinions in order to do this though @Halfling Rodeo. You're one of the most ignorant posters on here; ignoring what Yuji Naka himself said about how he designed Sonic to be rerun at faster speeds is one of THE dumbest, most ignorant and blinkered things I've ever seen on the internet. When people like @Great Deceiver and @Nutmeg are telling you about SHMUPs for example, and they've played more SHMUPs in a week than you will have in your life, you need to stop and accept validity of their opinions, not ignorantly do a Dumb & Dumber on them.
Blah blah blah. Sorry I don't agree with your hive mind and I laugh at you being entirely wrong about things. Have you tried not being wrong? It's ironic coming from you about saying you need to accept the validity of other's opinions when you have photo evidence of you being wrong and still can't accept it. But whatever, you can shit yourself over arcade games in another thread and leave this one to discussion on if people want to do a book club. Feel free to message me instead of shitting yourself in public if you wish to continue the conversation.

I wasn't planning to run it. A new user shouldn't be running long term events. I was suggesting the idea so faggots might actually play the games they're talking complete bollocks about and experience them again first hand. Almost every thread has someone totally brain washed into defending it religiously or attacking it with zero middle ground. The response to everything shouldn't be "I'm a pompous prick and I know everything so anything you disagree with is WRONG!" when people point out flaws in a game or say they like a game and don't agree with it's flaws. Half-life 2 was suggested specifically because the thread has a lot of contradictions and it's a short play time so it's a good way to judge if the thing is viable here. It has major influence on modern games story telling, while also being the big title for a now nearly-abandoned mechanic of the grav gun. It's an ideal test case and then the thread could decide on the next game to play if it goes well.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Blah blah blah. Sorry I don't agree with your hive mind and I laugh at you being entirely wrong about things.

hHm1sN2.gif

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How about we just do a list of 5 games from the RPG Codex Top 101 list, vote for which game we want to play first, play it for a week, share our thoughts about it and move on to the next game. I'd only suggest that the first entry to a series is played before following up with the next sequel. This sounds fair, simple to follow and really easy to execute.

If any seniority needs to be added to improve the validity of the list that's fine with me. I don't really care about that shit. No need to overcomplicate stuff. If we get at least 5 people that play and comment on the same game surely something of value will emerge in the thread.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Blah blah blah. Sorry I don't agree with your hive mind and I laugh at you being entirely wrong about things.

hHm1sN2.gif

I was suggesting the idea so faggots might actually play the games they're talking complete bollocks about and experience them again first hand. Almost every thread has someone totally brain washed into defending it religiously or attacking it with zero middle ground. The response to everything shouldn't be "I'm a pompous prick and I know everything so anything you disagree with is WRONG!" when people point out flaws in a game or say they like a game and don't agree with it's flaws.
You missed the part of the post talking about you.

If we get at least 5 people that play and comment on the same game surely something of value will emerge in the thread.
Probably not but at least we play some fun games right?

seco

Educated
But you need to start accepting other, more informed opinions in order to do this though @Halfling Rodeo. You're one of the most ignorant posters on here; ignoring what Yuji Naka himself said about how he designed Sonic to be rerun at faster speeds is one of THE dumbest, most ignorant and blinkered things I've ever seen on the internet. When people like @Great Deceiver and @Nutmeg are telling you about SHMUPs for example, and they've played more SHMUPs in a week than you will have in your life, you need to stop and accept validity of their opinions, not ignorantly do a Dumb & Dumber on them.
Blah blah blah. Sorry I don't agree with your hive mind and I laugh at you being entirely wrong about things. Have you tried not being wrong? It's ironic coming from you about saying you need to accept the validity of other's opinions when you have photo evidence of you being wrong and still can't accept it. But whatever, you can shit yourself over arcade games in another thread and leave this one to discussion on if people want to do a book club. Feel free to message me instead of shitting yourself in public if you wish to continue the conversation.

I wasn't planning to run it. A new user shouldn't be running long term events. I was suggesting the idea so faggots might actually play the games they're talking complete bollocks about and experience them again first hand. Almost every thread has someone totally brain washed into defending it religiously or attacking it with zero middle ground. The response to everything shouldn't be "I'm a pompous prick and I know everything so anything you disagree with is WRONG!" when people point out flaws in a game or say they like a game and don't agree with it's flaws. Half-life 2 was suggested specifically because the thread has a lot of contradictions and it's a short play time so it's a good way to judge if the thing is viable here. It has major influence on modern games story telling, while also being the big title for a now nearly-abandoned mechanic of the grav gun. It's an ideal test case and then the thread could decide on the next game to play if it goes well.
Why do you care about the non rpg opinions of these faggots?

Falksi

Arcane

You've literally just displayed the main reason why you'd only fuck your pretty good idea up lol.

You just don't understand things very well.

Spike

Educated

Sure but I really, really don't want to play Half-Life 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom