Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Brigand: Oaxaca - post-apocalyptic RPG/FPS set in Mexico

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
finished it today. 9/10 story points.
not sure what the last point would come from. i tried and eventually succeeded in "saving" junebug but it seems like the game expects him to die. maybe i should have shot slender in the head.

overall one of the most best times ive had with a new game. some frustrating sections but i could always get through things by considering all my options and changing up my approach (I was a mostly guns, charisma, hardware character. although i found i never had to put more than 20 points into guns to have decent aiming with them so i put spare points into medic, chemistry etc). the gameplay in general reminded me a lot of early game stalker shadow of chernobyl, especially when you are mostly poking your head around corners plinking away at bandits.

when i first saw the game i thought it would lean very hard into the ironic bad on purpose kind of style, but it wasnt like that. you get a lot of good pals in the game just like deus ex which i liked, instead of everything being cynical and miserable like in most modern games.

Brian Lancaster was the Baroque Tribe a reference to the Baroque game on saturn/ps1? their androids looked like some of the enemies in that game (and also like the alien guys in Fifth Element)

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
That Squirrel track was the only original song written for Brigand, by No Deep (http://soundcloud.com/no-deep). Almost everything else is by Kevin MacLeod under the creative commons license (https://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/collections.php).

Your instincts on correct on the perfect score requirements.

I think I came up with Baroque Tribe from Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age book, which had the Neo-Victorian Tribe. There's also a character in Snow Crash that had an H-bomb hooked up to his vital signs and he kept it on a sidecar on his motorcycle. The bad guy in that book also had the words, "Poor Impulse Control" tattooed on his forehead, because enclaves tattoo criminals and exile them instead of putting them in prison. Neal Stephenson books are fuckin great. I suggest Reamde, cause I visited that Gulangdang island in China where the Jihadists and the Russian mafia have a major shootout (in the book).

Last edited:

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
Free Demo here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1748160/Warlordocracy/

Early access for Chapter 1 for $4.99 starting July 15th, which will also include a fully-functioning world editor and scripting language. Then I'm gonna release all the subsequent chapters later as DLCs and you can export/import your entire party along with a list of reputations and faction respect. Gonna increase the base game (chapter 1) to $9.99 once it's no longer early access.

I am contemplating one problem, I wanna lock the chapters until you beat the ones before, but if people are paying for the later chapters, maybe I shouldn't lock them. You can start a new character on each chapter if you want, but I just wanna lock them initially to make the player go through the story. Not sure yet.

Jinn

Arcane
I am contemplating one problem, I wanna lock the chapters until you beat the ones before, but if people are paying for the later chapters, maybe I shouldn't lock them. You can start a new character on each chapter if you want, but I just wanna lock them initially to make the player go through the story. Not sure yet.

Seems totally reasonable - and really the only logical way to go about it - if the dlcs are going to essentially be further progression of a larger story. And really, only people who have progressed in such a fashion are going to be interested in buying further "chapters." I think Siege of Avalon is a good example of this format, and a game that would have ultimately been more successful in its given release format had it been released in modern times.

You could always release a larger standalone DLC down the line too.

Brian Lancaster

Laughing Coyote Software
Developer
Ya, and I can release standlone campaigns also for cheap if I want some extra cash. Gonna be exactly like Neverwinter Nights 1 campaigns. But you can export your entire party and inventory, not just a single character.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just beated it with the Nightmare DLC, got 8/10 story points.

QXptIkX.png

This game is so good, like a lost child of Arx Fatalis and Deus Ex. Put 20hs in and my only complain would be wanting more side content to flesh out some NPCs and areas.

Talking to other people who tried it seems like they get put off by the combat, but I think that's just a shock of design philosophies... even on easier difficulties you're not supposed to stand in front of 3 dudes with pistols and expect to win, gotta play smart. Grenades and Hacking offer plenty of opportunities to be clever, and even on Nightmare combat is fair since it's deadly for both sides - a single headshot kills most enemies. Only battle that was frustrating was the airship, those two knights are nasty in close range and you can't save.

Anyway, hats off to you Brian Lancaster . I had just bounced off from Weird West and was disappointed with Colantonio's new take on immersive sims, then started playing Oaxaca and got sucked in, put 20hs in 10 days :salute:

Onwards to Panamá now!

Last edited:

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
rT43US4.png

I just want to say whoever posted this RPG Codex steam curator blurb on the 22nd of August, you successfully shilled this game to me (I'm guessing it was felipepepe, as the timing is correct and it mirrors the Deus Ex + Arx Fatalis comment). I actually had no idea this game even existed prior to that somehow, it flew under my radar entirely despite it having come out in 2017. I guess I'm not active enough on here to absorb all the miscellaneous indie imsim news that I'd like.

This game is really good so far, I am in love with it. Just started Chapter 7 after talking to the witch.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Beat the game today, the last few levels were really tough. Ended with 10/10 story points on Badass difficulty (but not Nightmare mode, just the base game).

The inside of the pyramid would probably have been absolutely impossible if it wasn't for the infravision cybernetic implant, that place is dark as fuck. I died in there a shitload! I wised up and bought the Security Worm implant before doing airship onwards and just hacked my way to victory pretty much, everything can kill you so fast even at 50/50 hp that I didn't feel bad about turning all the robots and turrets to my side. Though because of my jink spending on cybernetics I was unable to purchase the Power Armor for 600 jink from Dr. Lee on the airship, oh well. That Power Armor likely would have made the Oil Rig and AARFY a lot easier. I was NOT expecting AARFY to be a fucking giant alien spider robot thing instead of just a rogue AI, lmao.

Anyway, really good game, and there's a bunch of other content for me to see next (Fortress, Squirrel, Panama, Nightmare). I was so disappointed reading through the first few pages of replies on this thread just shitting on it for how it looks, I would really recommend this game to anyone who likes all the classic immersive sims and first-person RPGs, there is a lot of depth here.

Great job Brian Lancaster, BUT WHAT THE HECK IS THE GOLDEN FISH FOR!?

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
OK I'm really starting to think I'm the only person who hated it :|

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/652410/announcements/detail/3363647504555619139

Please Make Mods and Sell them on Itch

It's gonna be a while before Brigand is updated again, so please feel free to make your own mods with the world editor and sell them on itch.io. I don't need to see a dime. Just don't include the EXEs (obviously), and put a link to laughingcoyote.net.

You can look at the Builder's Manual to learn how to make mods. Also, look at the BSL scripts in the objects and scripts folders using Notepad. Whatever you want, I don't give a shit. The reason this game took over 10 years to develop and not 2 is because I want modders. Just don't redist the EXEs so they have to download this first, and also put the laughingcoyote.net link in there. Then sell them bitches.

I gotta focus on Warlordocracy for now.

EDIT: When you sell your stuff, but people gotta buy this shit first to play it, then it's good for both parties.

"It's gonna be a while before Brigand is updated again"

18 hours later...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/652410/announcements/detail/3363647504558249189

Version 10.5

Fixed a script problem with two Tios in the Warehouse District. I was gonna throw in the towel and tell people that he has magical voodoo powers so he can reproduce A-sexually, but no, fuck that. I fixed it in the final last ultimate patch ever for all time.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If the animations/feedback currently in the game are anything to go by I'm quite sure a third person mode that isn't worked on meticulously would be unplayable.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Completed the Panama expansion, another winner as far as I'm concerned. The final mission was even more tough than the main game's. Panama is about 35-45% as long as Oaxaca if my playtime is anything to go by. I also beat the two extra mini campaigns; Fortress and Squirrel. Fortress was alright and there was enough to do in it that it felt like a worthwhile addition but Squirrel was just way too short. They're both "survive X amount of time fighting waves of enemies" but Squirrel was about a third as long as Fortress, which means you barely get to take advantage of any of the game mechanics before it's over. The only content in the game I haven't completed now is the Nightmare DLC, and I think I'll leave that for a second playthrough sometime down the line rather than jumping into it right away.

If you like immersive sims and first-person RPGs and aren't scared of a bit of clunk, jank and outright ugliness I would definitely recommend Oaxaca and Panama. Some of the systems take a bit of getting used to (they've been mentioned previously as a sore spot in this thread for some people) such as the inventory management and reloading of weapons, there's no vendor to sell all your trash to so money sources are limited to various types of quests but there is a hell of a lot of gameplay variety on offer here and the setting is very unique. The closest thing I can think of to the post-apo central American setting is Fountain of Dreams (set in post-apocalyptic Florida, has voodoo dudes and shit), the backstory to the nuclear apocalypse in Brigand also bears some similarities to Wasteland/Fountain of Dreams.

Good shit.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Just finished this, and fuck, this was the shit. Impressive one-man effort. Interesting world with trippy ambiance and many choices. I made a neurotic pistol/katana hacker and it was fun all the way till the end.

Didn't have any issue with controls and UI, you get used to them easily. The teammates were a bit retarded a few times but who gives a fuck, I used them as moving inventories and only in certain places.

Difficulty was pretty good with many tricky encounters, and then, Polyphonic happened. And before even getting inside, I knew that something special awaited me in there.

I was right, I was a prisoner while listening to a special tune reminiscent of beautiful desolation.
Restore was on fire, I was on a fucking pathetically dying loop without quick save!
And suddenly my electrochemistry inner voice emerged - Just fucking stop! Stop restoring this shit like an autist! You're powerless, the thc levels in your brain are dangerously low, you need "nutrition" -
The solution was close to me, so I stopped to prepare my rocket while listening to the cool track. After 2 attempts, those Mfuckers ninjafags were no more!

You designed some devious shit there, you mad parrot! And it was a hell of rewarding. Moments like these are what I miss in new games.
Paradoxically I didn't find the jungle and pyramid that hard, but polyphonic was my torture/ascension moment. End game was also tricky but more manageable.

Brian Lancaster You did a great job mon, thanks for the experience. Cheers!

And remember:

Brigand-2022-09-16-00-31-00-06.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom