Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broken Roads - turn-based Australian post-apocalyptic RPG with "unique morality system"

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The publisher they signed with is shutting down completely. Entire staff laid off.

Today is a sad day. After 10 wonderful years, Versus Evil is shutting its doors. We've loved bringing you the best indie games we could find & sharing so many happy memories with you all, our amazing community! From the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU for everything!

mondblut

Arcane
The publisher they signed with is shutting down completely. Entire staff laid off.

Today is a sad day. After 10 wonderful years, Versus Evil is shutting its doors. We've loved bringing you the best indie games we could find & sharing so many happy memories with you all, our amazing community! From the bottom of our hearts, THANK YOU for everything!

In the end, evil always triumphs :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Versus Evil was the publisher that totally botched the marketing for Deadfire so it was only a matter of time. They had One Job and apparently couldn't do it.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In the end, evil always triumphs :smug:

Hide your kittens and cats in time bruv.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Your Moral Compass...
Hey everyone! Today we're taking a closer look into our Moral Compass feature.

The Moral Compass is Broken Roads’ unique take on morality and alignment. It allows the characters’ morality to shift based on the player’s actions and decisions gradually.

Before starting your post-apocalyptic adventure you will be asked a series of questions about different scenarios you might encounter while on your journey in the land down under. Now answer them honestly because once you do, you'll notice 4 different traits.

These are the four distinct moral philosophies in Broken Roads...

Humanist
- "Each person’s dignity matters most"
I choose all meaning and thus what matters, but what is inalienable is that every person has worth.

Benefit: This character gains bonuses when supporting allies.

c2389bb3b990a6a0b06372d4b51ba418dbb01459.png

Utilitarian
- "Everyone’s happiness combined matters most"
The greatest good for the greatest number

Benefit: This character gains bonuses when supporting the weakest ally.

24bbdac5f5ebce7a024c1f0aa7b04ef1f59c5963.png

Machiavellian
- "My team/group matters most"
The ends justify the means.

Benefit and Restriction: This character can perform any action in combat regardless of harm to allies but does not gain any bonuses.

b8be6c3f6908ae10cff9abdee804b11c7a654c28.png

Nihilist
- "I matter most"
Nothing matters, and that doesn't bother me.

Benefit: This character gains bonuses when supporting themselves.

6edfa8466ddcc6bcc754d6182988dcf66b7125af.png

What path will you take in Broken Roads?

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Origin Story Trailer - Jackaroo
Introducing the Jackaroo Origin Story

"You’ve been on the go since, looking for a new place to settle down. You thought you might have found it in Brookton. Maybe you could see out your days there."

A passive perk for the Jackaroo is that you cannot be detected by animals while Stealthed. You will also have the ability to make an animal opponent flee combat within 3 meters.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Not really sure where this is going. Its got a bit of the 'aussie outback but we never lived in it' vibe that hipsters in Melbourne might write. It also seems less 'post apoc' than actual real life.

Morality system should have been: Grog, durries, meth, or wife-beatin' - with perks for mixing two trees, like Grog + durries gets you a 'high functioning' perk and meth + wife beatin' gets you a bonus to wearing singlets or something. Take the piss, we desperately need it.

Also could have had a seasonal system where its too fkn hot to do anything during the day in summer, heaps of debuffs, but you can cook eggs on the car boot. Also make water the most valuable currency and commodity cos Nestle bought it all, etc etc etc.

So much potential but it looks like its going to be pretty tame. Havent had a good game set in Oz since Beneath a Steel Sky.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Origin Story Trailer - Barter Crew

"You learned to haggle with the best of them when you were knee-high to a quokka, and by the time you were a teen, you decided that maybe it was time to make your way."

You spent your earliest years riding the back of a barter crew's wagon, travelling all across Western Australia, from Boddington to Bonnie Rock. You've seen thousands of deals go down.

You've got a head for numbers, an eye for trade, and a tongue keen for speech. Nothing makes you happier than driving a hard bargain. It's been a hell of a ride. You get your way, you'll hunt down every opportunity in Australia.

Attribute bonuses: Charisma +1, Resolve +1
Starting skills: Leadership +10, Biology +5

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Ass! Try this:

'You learned the art of the rort in the finest Australian tradition, swindling honest folk for any odd job you could get away with - even the ones you know nothing about. By the time you were a teen, you had to move on, as every pub that knew you had a fool keen for revenge.'

You spent your earliest years riding on the back of a rusty old ute, in one of the last of the old droving caravans - before the fuel and the cattle ran out. You know the outback, from the Kimberlies to Koolyanobbing. You've seen a thousand 'deals' go down.

You've got a head for swindling, an eye for a scam and a sharp knack for a comeback. You get your way and you'll con everyone in the country out of their money, their partner and their beer.

PlayerEmers

Novice
Launch April 10

Aesthetics look really nice. The combat animations feel slow and kinda meh.
Did anyone played the demo? Hows the dialogue/story and mechanics? I heard about the game before but I never took some time to look into it.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Graphics look waaaaaay better than the previous iterations. Good job on that front with visible progress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom