Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim can't turn his brain off to enjoy Terminator.

He also had a crazy idea of having a post-apocalyptic game from a child's perspective done in a cartoony way but when you die you see things as they really are which made the artists rightfully balk (though I think this could work if it was just a prerendered video or screen).

Geomancer86

Literate
He seems to have a kink with showing child suffering on his games, something that had to be removed either during design as he mentioned on today's video, or after actually being developed, as in fallout..

Strange that a grown man that works on an industry for +40 years, where he should have already learned about this and the involved laws, keeps on insisting.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
He seems to have a kink with showing child suffering on his games, something that had to be removed either during design as he mentioned on today's video, or after actually being developed, as in fallout..

Strange that a grown man that works on an industry for +40 years, where he should have already learned about this and the involved laws, keeps on insisting.
Homosexuality and child molestation go hand in hand.

Harthwain

Magister
Homosexuality and child molestation go hand in hand.
I see what you did here!

lede-Rev-James-Martin-vs-Donald-Trump.jpg

:smug:

deama

Prophet
I wonder what he thinks of phase-based combat? Like superhot.

flyingjohn

Arcane
-Original idea was turn based only
-Real time was implemented because the publisher wanted multiplayer
-Cain would have kept real time only if he had any say in the matter
-The compromise of having both was badly implemented and was Cain's fault entirely
-Cain had a lot of ideas about improving turn based but there was no time to implement them

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim got filtered by Baldur's Gate rtwp. The pro move is to open with a fireball and/or cast it on tanking party members with resistance/protection from fire.

Tim thinking that a multiplayer game needed to be real-time was small-brained. Swen's proved twice now (and soon to be thrice) that co-op turn based games can work fine and be huge.

It's just a part of RPGs that feel like, especially as we went first person, they're just being left behind and we're not going to see anymore

Weird take for 2023. Like back in the mid-late 00s saying something like this made sense, but in the past 10 years we've had Harebrained's Shadowrun trilogy, Larian's Divinity Domination, Wasteland 2 and 3, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Tides of Numenera, the Pathfinders adding a pretty decent turn-based option unlike Arcanum, Atom RPG, and Rogue Trader and Colony Ship coming soon, in addition to numerous tactical RPGS such as Blackguards, the Expeditions series, the Hard West series, Troubleshooter, Solasta, and King Arthur - Knight's Tale. Yeah, Obsidian and inXile got that MS money and decided to pivot to first person, but they're far from the only game in town.

Tim Cain said:
I talk about the proposal that we put together at Troika Games in July 2003 to make Baldur's Gate 3.

Even homosexual Tim Cain wouldn't include scenes that Larian has included.
and why should anyone give a shit what he would do? he's already proven himself to be a flash in the pan dev. he hasn't been involved with anything good in like 15 years. now he's just a grampa with interesting stories.

Moink

Cipher
I feel that turning BG into a first person action RPG with competitive multiplayer might've upset a fair few people back in 2003.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
first-person

See the fear in the orc's eye!

Ah, I loved that meme.

we ripped out intelligence and wisdom

:lol: Spellcaster players would seethe.

They also replaced vancian casting with fatigue which isn't surprising given it was an action game and how Dark Alliance handled it.

Like Larian's take, it was a different story told in and around the city of Baldur's Gate. :smug:

Atari apparently couldn't even be bothered to tell them no. Got the brush-off.

Moink

Cipher

Still, I was glad to learn that Fallout 3, isometric or not, will be made by true Fallout fans who love the games and the setting. No, seriously. Gavin Carter, aka Kathode, even said: "I've played Fallout, I love Fallout. Todd has played Fallout, Todd loves Fallout. Tons of people in the company have played and loved Fallout. If I find out they haven't played Fallout, I will make them"

I get the same feeling reading this as reading cheerful and optimistic diary entries about joining the war in 1914.

Harthwain

Magister
I feel that turning BG into a first person action RPG with competitive multiplayer might've upset a fair few people back in 2003.
I don't know about that. Dark Messiah of Might & Magic did pretty well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sassy Tim is back, don't watch if you don't care about personal info

40 years ago he was 135 pounds (!). At 6'1 that'd make him significantly underweight.

At Obsidian, some zoomer called him a boomer because they didn't like some old-game feature he suggested, and he didn't like it one bit. :lol:

Tim seethed when he read a review of The Outer Worlds and the reviewer called a book gay as a pejorative, had to work that angle in of course.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
At Obsidian, some zoomer called him a boomer because they didn't like some old-game feature he suggested, and he didn't like it one bit. :lol:
Most Gen-Xers I've met are really sensitive for some reason. Any time I've tried bantering them they get really butthurt and become sworn enemies for life, no matter how innocuous the joke is.

None

Arbiter
The only people protected against age discrimination in the US are those 40 and up, so I'm not sure what he is moaning about. Him getting butthurt about being called a boomer is his fault. If it is an issue then you bring it up on the spot and see if the other person meant it disparagingly or not. You don't assume the worst and stay silent only to claim discrimination to your internet audience because you are too allergic to conflict.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Yes, very true, when he started describing it (first person, no companions, multiplayer etc) I thought "this might make me actually be more thankful for the BG3 we are getting".
However that was in the era when he was putting out good games, so who knows...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom