Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

Modron

Arcane
I feel that turning BG into a first person action RPG with competitive multiplayer might've upset a fair few people back in 2003.
Turning BG into a console action RPG didn't seem to anger too many people in 2001.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Funniest thing at the end is Tim saying he's struggled multiple times to do a video about how putting in more than 8 hours a day on something you're passionate about is good.

For an indie, A, or even AA game, knock yourself out. On a massive budget game with hundreds of other employees, why bother?

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Does Tim has the the stones to post here like Avellone did? He should come here and trash Fargo and Feargus instead doing passive-aggressive youtube videos. :)

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Some of the stories are pre-Carbine, so he would have been in his 40s, and already having to eat shit for being too old. That's kinda messed up.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I talk about game design pillars, specifically what they are, how you write them, and how they are used. I give examples of these pillars from Fallout, Arcanum, and The Outer Worlds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim laments over how Arcanum's "complex character building" pillar cost them a lot of sales, but the "long main quest" pillar was the biggest mistake. What a slog it is.

The Outer Worlds's pillars ("simple but deep" "dark but humorous" "fun trumps realism" with "it should play like a classic Obsidian game" as an afterthought) explains a lot about why it turned out the way it did.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"Simple but deep" is probably the hardest thing to do in game design. It's usually limited to puzzle games and a few strategy games like chess. I struggle to think of a single RPG that does it successfully. From what I've seen, Otter Worlds only manages the simple part.

Harthwain

Magister
"Simple but deep" is probably the hardest thing to do in game design. It's usually limited to puzzle games and a few strategy games like chess. I struggle to think of a single RPG that does it successfully.
NEO Scavenger is simple but deep.

ciox

Liturgist
At the end Tim realized that it's possible for him to go back to the old system where you had to spend more points in the later ranks. If he gets around to that, ideally he'll find that it's comparatively bad, and he should have figured out a third option.
I'm curious, what do you think a third option could look like?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
From what I've seen, Otter Worlds only manages the simple part.

FWIW I thought the system in TOW was quite cool and definitely opens up a lot of build-fuckery if you make an effort to figure it out. It's just that nobody ever bothers because game is braindead easy even on Supernova

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm curious, what do you think a third option could look like?
Getting rid of "xp per hit" would help solve the "leveling too fast" problem. I think the entire thing could use an overhaul.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty reasonable takes.
Sawyer-haters seething that he ultimately agrees with him regarding collapsing skills and adding weak early-game energy weapons. :M

Tim completely overlooks fixing both the AP ammo bug that made it indistinguishable from regular ammo (which Fallout 2 did) and changing the formula so that they're not outright worse than regular ammo in all situations (which 2 did not do).

Also a bit strange how he didn't say anything about how the implementation of steal and sneak aren't fun and could use some changes.

ciox

Liturgist
The more you watch that the more you feel like he never touched Fallout 2 after 1998.
And people wonder if he's tried the fixup mods..

Zanthia

Novice
He had to pull himself back from saying the traits should have been balanced and not fun. Like he remembered at the last moment that it was a single player game.

I don't see why he thinks easy difficulty should have turned off critical failures for the player and enemies. If it's going to be easy, why not go the full way? Plus, I think seeing them happen would have either encouraged people to try a higher difficulty or be really happy that they were playing on easy, so it's win-win. Easy difficulty is always kind of inherently boring, but that's no reason to make it totally flat, too.

I like that doctor is separate to first aid, even though it's annoying. Healing yourself (and your party) like that should be a significant investment. But I definitely wish he'd implemented the FO2 changes to companion control earlier.

Harthwain

Magister
He had to pull himself back from saying the traits should have been balanced and not fun. Like he remembered at the last moment that it was a single player game.
And here I was, thinking that Fallout's traits were great example how to make impactful changes to a character... I guess it was a fluke.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like that doctor is separate to first aid, even though it's annoying. Healing yourself (and your party) like that should be a significant investment. But I definitely wish he'd implemented the FO2 changes to companion control earlier.
It works fine in the first game because it's balanced by time. With Fallout 2, it doesn't make sense for them to be separate skills. Of course Tim is also against the time limit.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
And here I was, thinking that Fallout's traits were great example how to make impactful changes to a character... I guess it was a fluke.
IIRC it was Fargo who suggested mid-development that traits and perks be about advantage/disadvantage rather than just incremental stat increases.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Balanced doesn't have to mean low-impact. If you gave Gifted more of a drawback to offset how powerful it is, it wouldn't be lower impact as a consequence.

Zeriel

Arcane
2) The fact that OW team failed to do their references justice also tangentially reinforces my original argument that with Fallout they accidentally stumbled into a unified vision for the project because everyone already spoke the same language.
I will add that when they were doing Fallout they had fun with it. The Outer Worlds is more like a job.

A job being a job and a job being fun is often down to who you're doing the job with. When you're doing a shitty job with a band of friends and management doesn't prevent you from just having fun with each other, even that shitty job can be fun. When you're doing a great job with a bunch of zoomers who have no clue what you're talking about, it probably becomes a chore.

It sounds like every job Boyarsky took after Troika underutilized his talents though. Guy must be used to it by now. Blizzard hired him for non-linear storytelling expertise, then decided after all they didn't want to do a branching storyline and player dialogue and assigned him to writing lore tidbits. Classic corporatism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom