Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Implemented the equipment UI.

HS2DdDB.png

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Ok, in all seriousness back to the original question. While I agree that I got heavily inspired by BaK’s character system, the original is a nice, minimalistic, well thought-out UI that I love, and would be hard pressed to further improve. I changed what I thought was needed to be changed (larger grid, separated gems inventory – though I’m not so sure of its limited use, etc), modernised it and took advantage of the higher resolution. I’m sure I’m not done with it yet though.

V_K

Arcane
Ok, in all seriousness back to the original question. While I agree that I got heavily inspired by BaK’s character system, the original is a nice, minimalistic, well thought-out UI that I love, and would be hard pressed to further improve. I changed what I thought was needed to be changed (larger grid, separated gems inventory – though I’m not so sure of its limited use, etc), modernised it and took advantage of the higher resolution. I’m sure I’m not done with it yet though.
My question had nothing to do with UI though, UI is fine. I just think that Krondor's stat system is rather inelegant - the largely meaningless separation of HP into health and stamina, each stat being measured on its own scale etc.

Wasn't the creator of BAK tinkering with learning Unity or something btw? I seem to remember a thread from some time ago.

Incendax

Augur
Glad to see this is alive and well. BaK holds a very special place in my heart.

I remember comparing countless games to BaK, and wondering why they didn’t emulate some of its better systems.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
My question had nothing to do with UI though, UI is fine. I just think that Krondor's stat system is rather inelegant - the largely meaningless separation of HP into health and stamina, each stat being measured on its own scale etc.

It is a bit awkward, but I still like it. I have improved the health/stamina mechanics though. Stamina (endurance in my case, same thing) does affect many systems in the game, both outside and inside combat. Endurance is negatively affected when not resting enough, not eating, falling ill, and is consumed in certain combat situations and when casting spells. It is also needed to effectively defend oneself. I am still working to take full advantage of that stat, but it is very significant. As for the other skills, I am still evaluating them as I go. Currently I have only slightly modified the ones from BaK.

Wasn't the creator of BAK tinkering with learning Unity or something btw? I seem to remember a thread from some time ago.

He did make a walk, encounter, conversation demo in Lumberyard, but afaik abandoned the project. He's all into indie movies these days.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the split between health and stamina adds something important to BaK. The most interesting layer of the game to me isn't the details of tactical combat, it's managing your resources between battles and deciding when to use your consumables. Darklands also had a similar distinction between strength and endurance, and when it really works and becomes something that you consider over multiple combats, it's awesome. But in both games, this gets out of whack where it's difficult until you accumulate enough wealth and then it's easy. I hope you can find a solution to that problem.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
...deciding when to use your consumables.

Reminds me how impossible was to predict what weapon/armor enhancers to use before entering combat.

What about traps ?
Not that you need any but i guess (hope ?) you're not keeping BaK system for this.

I don't really have any plans to include traps. I am thinking of including something similar to wordlock chests though. I always enjoyed the respite from adventuring the puzzles gave.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, there has to be some hints about what kind of opposition you're facing to make those choices be meaningful.

As for traps and wordlock chests, I'd just throw out that I've heard a lot of designers say they wasted too much time on minigames like that. If you get hung up on that stuff and it doesn't come easily to you, I'd recommend you ditch it in favor of the core gameplay.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I don't really have any plans to include traps. I am thinking of including something similar to wordlock chests though. I always enjoyed the respite from adventuring the puzzles gave.

Interesting, always loved smart puzzles, even played a flash-MMO game for two weeks last year because of its puzzles, one like the board game mastermind, the other was a small minesweeper-like game on a 9-tiles grid where you had to guess 4 correct tiles with only one mistake allowed, on each tile is marked how many "good" tiles are adjacent (diagonal doesn't count).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom