Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Casual games you enjoyed

Üstad

Arcane
I personally miss Tony Hawks games. Just look at the skate designs, the soundtract, it was work of a passion.

I remember playing it with my brother in the past, there was a game mode you could tag objects to your colour by dabbing on them, after all these years I still remember it. It was really a blast.

Tony Hawk ain't casual. To maximize scores you really have to know how and when to do the right tricks. You can play it casually but it's a game you can master as well.

For me it would have to be Fifa career mode.

Anonymous Ranger

Educated
Mine is Katamari Damacy. Something about rolling up things into a ball is just so much fun to me. Also it has really catchy music which makes it even better.

911 Jumper

Learned
PS2-era SSX trilogy comes to mind. Amazing games with arcade gameplay that felt great. It's a shame that the first game and Tricky aren't playable via BC. Nonetheless, I'm thankful that SSX 3 can be played on a current gen Xbox.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
animal crossing
monument valley (a cute series of puzzle games for mobile)
fancade (basically a simple game creation toolkit for mobile, think dreams/lbp. other than ads being annoying it has a large variety of games and i've played it a bunch on the shitter)

sports games are not casual per se and have a very high skill ceiling, both mechanical and knowledge, at least most of the time. so something like SSX or tony hawk would not qualify imo.

Falksi

Arcane
John Madden '93. Great blend of arcade & sim elements.

Speedball 2. Coz it's fucking awesome.

Street Fighter series.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I have become fond of games like yoshi's crafted world due to it's style and design. I played it with my young son, without him it would be a sleeping exercise.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I quite enjoy the "Simple Mahjong" puzzle game that comes pre-installed with Windows 11.

Üstad

Arcane

It was quite entertaining to play this one. It was such a fun to play this with friends during my childhood, I had so many funny moments with this one. I've checkted the newer worms games on youtube, they look soulless.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I play a lot of "second monitor" games while working.
The one most likely to make me stand out here is probably

Its pretty basic, for the most part. Some bursts of decision making every few minutes, the rest on auto pilot. Not time sensitive in any way. Clearly a phone game for playing on the bus.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What i a casual game anyway?
A game that is designed for non-gamers is a casual game. Gamer here being a hobbyist, who habitually plays video games, reads and writes guides, produces and consumes fan art, reads patchlogs, etc.
A game you'd show to your auntie or to your 10 year old cousin is a casual game.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
A game that is designed for non-gamers is a casual game. Gamer here being a hobbyist, who habitually plays video games, reads and writes guides, produces and consumes fan art, reads patchlogs, etc.
A game you'd show to your auntie or to your 10 year old cousin is a casual game.
wish it was that easy. That would be my definition too, shit like Candy Crush etc. but there is now a whole category on steam of "casual" games which includes games like Bloons and Sims, even Cities: Skylines

https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Casual/

Üstad

Arcane
wish it was that easy. That would be my definition too, shit like Candy Crush etc. but there is now a whole category on steam of "casual" games which includes games like Bloons and Sims, even Cities: Skylines

https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/Casual/
Just check RPG category on steam to see if their categories makes sense.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thing is, those games old ladies play on their phones are just a poor attempt at puzzle games, a genre with its own merit.

This is definitely not casual:

And games like Mario, despite the low difficulty and wide appeal, do have an obsessive fanbase that write guides and produce fanart.

Machocruz

Arcane
John Madden '93. Great blend of arcade & sim elements.
Yoooo that was my shit back in the day. The first Madden with voice. "WHERE'D THAT TRUCK COME FROM?!!" after your QB got sacked never got old. One of the best Christmas presents I ever received, my mom got it from a mail order place advertised in a game magazine (remember when that was a thing?), along with a wireless touch pad controller; to my kid brain, ordering it felt more special than if she had just went and bought it at Toys R Us or something. A lot of the peripherals for old consoles were either gimmicks or crap, including that controller, but they were fun. I think these days we often let quality be the enemy of fun, or maybe the cheap, gimmicky old crap was better than the cheap, gimmicky made current crap.

Anyway, I much preferred 16-bit sports games to any of the later generations. Someday I want to try the Maddens after '93 on Genesis, see how they compare.

Zlaja

Arcane
I have a thing for Halo: Reach. I liked its customization/progression and its varied missions.

60d68721a7020.jpeg

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
I remember spending an immeasurable amount of time in these:
Sonic Adventure DX (I mean if THPS is 'casual' for you, then this one might be too)
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Flatout 2
FIFA Street 2
Tiny Toon Adventures: ACME All-Stars

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom