Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
It's promising, particularly for the gameplay and 2D is a plus in my book.

2 questions:
- I didn't get your answer to Dorateen's question about character creation, is there one? (only for the main character?) Do we roll attribute? Is there some skills points? Different races (during character creation)?
- Do you plan an option to disable the Parkinson's mode? (aka idle sprites animations)
Initial character creation is only for the main character, and consists of stats, and a trait (passive effects). Stats can use a point system to distribute or be random (for higher or lower than average). As the game progresses, new characters are found and you can customize the team. There are ways to gain permanent stat points, but rare. Many magical items can boost your stats, as well as spells and abilities. Skills points can be gained through action (spells and abilities too) or added to after leveling, and new abilities and traits can be purchased at that time as well. In the character sense it is more like the early FF games, but gameplay is pretty different.

During gameplay, characters can be swapped out at will, for different move speeds and a special trait that each one has. The party leader (visible character), is used as the main roller for skills checks, but the party contributes a little bit too.

For races, I do not have playable drwarves and elves (though they may exist). My own races include Scaphin (toad people), Agmarians (lizard men), plus there are Gobins, Fae, and some other odd balls.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Agreed on the bland/poor art (pixels are hard work) - but that's fine. If the game is great it doesn't matter too much. Maybe for your next game you can afford someone who draws them, or will have gotten better at it.

Best of luck! I will try this out eventually, ugly (IMO) or not.
I'm developing my style as I go for sure. I had to weight spending years learning stuff and never actually doing anything or just jumping right in. I started with 32x32 pixel constraint for all things, which made it really difficult to not look like a pixel art demo. There are creatures that get up to 64x64 now, and I'm working on my style. I appreciate your willingness to give it a try.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Thanks for your answer.
You dodged the second question, does it mean there will be no anti-parkinson's mode? (disabling sprites idle animation)

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Thanks for your answer.
You dodged the second question, does it mean there will be no anti-parkinson's mode? (disabling sprites idle animation)
Ah, didn't mean to dodge. The idle animations shouldn't affect the the interaction of any specific entity. They all have square bounding boxes that are the click source, so you won't miss clicking as long as you target the tile they are on. If you have any suggestions that might help with parkinson's I am happy to take them into account and potentially make changes.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game looks decent actually, looking forward to seeing more.

LoreMaster How close is the game to an actual RPG versus just a dungeon crawler? Is it "open world", quests with multiple ways to solve, etc?

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Game looks decent actually, looking forward to seeing more.

LoreMaster How close is the game to an actual RPG versus just a dungeon crawler? Is it "open world", quests with multiple ways to solve, etc?
I would call it a story driven dungeon crawler. The progression is mostly linear, but you aren't forced where to go so much as you figure out where to go next through talking to people, uncovering secrets, etc. There are places you can go that you don't have to and you could easily miss half the game if you just go straight linear. I experimented heavily with full non-linear and found it too much to pull off as a solo-dev.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the official website: https://www.cavesoflore.com/

About the Game​

What is Caves of Lore?​

Caves of Lore is a turn-based CRPG that combines elements of environmental exploration and character interaction with tactical, grid-based combat. The story focuses on a small island in the world of Solamria.

What games were an influence?​

Ultima 6, The Magic Candle, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and Final Fantasy all come to mind. These are just some of the games that I grew up with, and there are elements from each in Caves of Lore.

The World of Solmaria​

Solmaria is vast, but our story focuses on Emerisk, a town on the island of Springhold, and the caves beneath it. This island holds ancient civilizations and secrets, and is key to what is transpiring in the world.

Around Solmaria circle three moons, each of which cause changes in the world and hide terrible and wonderful secrets. Many things on Solmaria react to moonrise and moonfall, including monsters and heroes, spells, magical runes that lock away secrets, and even portals to other worlds.

Everything seems fairly straightforward at first. Monsters, dark lord, etc… or maybe, there is more to this story than can yet be seen…

blightroot_guardian_action_1.gif

Fearsome Monsters​

Creatures long since vanished have returned to the land. Their fear of man is gone, and they rise from the deep places.

Over 50 unique monsters await your discovery.
cabin_1.png

A Small Village​

Emerisk is hidden in the rocky hills of Springhold, forgotten by the world, but not by the evil that laid waste to kingdoms of old.
townsfolk_mashup_1_flipped.gif

Peaceful Folk​

The inhabitants of Emerisk, a small village on the ilse of Springhold, know that the world is changing, but they cannot see why, or how it has affected them.

30 Unique NPCs are ready to interact.

Character Interaction​

Many characters in Caves of Lore have daily routines and can be seen moving about town. Speaking with them is an important part of understanding the world, uncovering secrets, getting quests and purchasing items.

Characters in the party can also talk with you when making camp, and your party makeup determines some of the things said in cutscenes.

Characters set as the party leader will also comment on their surroundings from time to time.

Playable Characters, Character Creation​

and Character Progression​

The game starts with the main character, Lannon, alone, but very soon accompanied by an animal companion. Lannon can be renamed and given custom stats and traits (passive effects).

Stats use a point system to distribute or be random (for higher or lower than average). As the game progresses, new characters are found and the party makeup can be customized.

There are no character classes. Skills, abilities and spells can be leveled through action, and Skills can be increased after your character levels up. New abilities and traits can be purchased at that time as well.

During gameplay, characters can be swapped out for different move speeds and a unique trait that each character possesses. The party leader (visible character), is used as the main roller for skills checks, but the party contributes a little as well.
lannon_in_field.png

The Arcane​

Magic is real, though some have forgotten. Through the ages it has appeared in many forms and accessed through many arcane studies.

It has returned yet again, and is ready to help you in your fight.

Over 65 unique spells can help give you the tactical advantage against your enemies.

Weapons, Item Enchantments and Potions​

There are over 40 weapons in Caves of Lore, some of them quite unique, with special names and abilities.
Items can have damage types, material types and a number of other attributes. All of these contribute to their use and effectiveness against certain creatures.

From leather armors to legendary pieces, collecting item sets can grant synergy bonuses for wearing multiples of that type at once.

Over 100 individually unique enchantments are possible, some with their own sub-variables. Items with multiple enchantments offer tens of thousands of possible variations that can be combined with an items existing stats to create powerful items.

Potions can be collected and brewed with a recipe and the right ingredients, and can shift the tides of battle.

Over 360 base items can be found and used for all manner of things

The Moons​

The three moons​

Many secrets are locked away by the moons of Solmaria. Their presence affects the world in ways both known and unkown. Pay close attention to their movements, in order to take advantage of the power they give.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
LoreMaster don't waste time with butthurt retards complaining about graphics/pixelart, it's not going to be productive nor do their ramblings have any coherence or thought put into them. You've made your decision knowing full well what your circumstances, capabilities and vision are. Couple of short advices:

1. stick to the current artstyle - don't make drastic and radical changes, regardless if the pressure comes from outside (potential playerbase), or from the inside (your own mood swings). You've already experience the former, but the latter might easily happen as well. Endure. In enduring, grow strong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about ignoring feedback (on the contrary), just about keeping the whole project within realistic boundaries.

2. color theory - study it. Nailing that is one of the most important things when it comes to achieving a remarkable visual experience. Dimensions, artstyles, camera angles and graphical fidelity all play a role, but without the latter, it usually all falls apart, or at least never achieves internal consistency required to truly impress and immerse you into the game's world.

3. consistency - applies not only to the previous section, discussion about the visuals, but all aspects of the product as well. Don't have different sizes of pixels, reduce the number of color shades when it's not required to have more of them, try to match the shades between different colors when possible and avoid glaringly loud ones in general.

Mind you, what I have seen so far seems to meet the above requirements in most cases, but there are always opportunities for improvement. Glad you've decided to constrain yourself only on the town and island it is located at as well. Do the same with the attributes, skills, classes, races and so on. Also, don't forget to constrain the length of the game - 20ish hours is more than enough for a first entry in the series, let alone a first project ever. Better short and sweet, than long and repetitive or eternal vaporware.

You can always expand on those things in the possible sequel(s), if you ever decide to even make them, that is (in that case, reuse code, assets and systems as much as possible, and only build on top of it, instead of redoing everything from the scratch).

P.S. don't be afraid of using Steam Early Access for free QA testing. You can gain more exposure by having more releases. One for EA, one for proper release, one for a DLC Dungeon/Sidequest, one for Definitive Edition where all bugs are fixed and DLC is packed for a reduced price.

Godspeed. :salute:

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
LoreMaster don't waste time with butthurt retards complaining about graphics/pixelart, it's not going to be productive nor do their ramblings have any coherence or thought put into them. You've made your decision knowing full well what your circumstances, capabilities and vision are. Couple of short advices:

1. stick to the current artstyle - don't make drastic and radical changes, regardless if the pressure comes from outside (potential playerbase), or from the inside (your own mood swings). You've already experience the former, but the latter might easily happen as well. Endure. In enduring, grow strong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about ignoring feedback (on the contrary), just about keeping the whole project within realistic boundaries.

2. color theory - study it. Nailing that is one of the most important things when it comes to achieving a remarkable visual experience. Dimensions, artstyles, camera angles and graphical fidelity all play a role, but without the latter, it usually all falls apart, or at least never achieves internal consistency required to truly impress and immerse you into the game's world.

3. consistency - applies not only to the previous section, discussion about the visuals, but all aspects of the product as well. Don't have different sizes of pixels, reduce the number of color shades when it's not required to have more of them, try to match the shades between different colors when possible and avoid glaringly loud ones in general.

Mind you, what I have seen so far seems to meet the above requirements in most cases, but there are always opportunities for improvement. Glad you've decided to constrain yourself only on the town and island it is located at as well. Do the same with the attributes, skills, classes, races and so on. Also, don't forget to constrain the length of the game - 20ish hours is more than enough for a first entry in the series, let alone a first project ever. Better short and sweet, than long and repetitive or eternal vaporware.

You can always expand on those things in the possible sequel(s), if you ever decide to even make them, that is (in that case, reuse code, assets and systems as much as possible, and only build on top of it, instead of redoing everything from the scratch).

P.S. don't be afraid of using Steam Early Access for free QA testing. You can gain more exposure by having more releases. One for EA, one for proper release, one for a DLC Dungeon/Sidequest, one for Definitive Edition where all bugs are fixed and DLC is packed for a reduced price.

Godspeed. :salute:
Much appreciated!

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

xuerebx

Erudite
I also dig the art style, and I like the pixel style. Added to the wishlist!

Falksi

Arcane
I'm well up for this, looks groovy to me.

Only thing I'd like to see is the full party represented whilst travelling.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer

It's a good suggestion. At this point adding something like that this close to launch has potential to break too many things, but I will look into it as a patch later on.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer

Screw it. I decided to see if my current code could handle it, and well... see for yourself! Apparently I had a lot of things in place that made this less complicated than I had anticipated.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom