Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
cZ0oOWW.png

Glad that you can totally dump attributes and the more you dump the more points you get for each lowered point
Mind looks very strong but would be nice to see how much increase each point does to each attribute's specific skill

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Tyranicon Can you explain how you triggered the sequence break so people can avoid spoilers?
No idea. I talked to Naira (you meet them very early on in the game), and depleted her dialogue options. Talked to her again and she gave me a big "you completed X quest and retrieved X item." Had party members I never recruited provide dialogue bits, and other stuff that clearly my character did not encounter yet.

I wish I grabbed the bug log too, maybe it would've been useful. But at least my game wasn't hard-locked. Reverted to a previous save and it seemed like everything was fine.

Edit: I was able to replicate the bug. It seems that walking around Naira would trigger the bug everytime. I would advise fixing this as soon as possible, I'd hate to see what is clearly a high-quality labor of love be marred by something as trivial as this.

The bug log had way too many entries for me to parse, maybe this was the issue?

1674319694724.png

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
probably fixed now.

3 patches:

Late game bug with rare occurrence fixed.
Joystick no longer turns on when naming a character.

Fixed arcane sight bug

Slimes giving me trouble. All fixed. Thanks to all who are helping!

quaesta

Educated
This is why I've recommended EA for a couple of months, but Codexers were autistically screeching and the developer unfortunately didn't heed my advice.
What's an EA? Do you mean getting EA to publish the game? It would properly help somewhat, but they likely will comprise the game's vision

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
So how's the gameplay, how's the RPG system? I don't like pixelgames generally but I'm actually starved for some good TBS party combat and the trailers on Steam look solid gameplay-wise.

cpmartins

Cipher
If you haven't already, give some copies to some cancer twitch streamers and less cancerous youtubers. Unfortunately, that's how you sell shit today. I have no recommendations though. Maybe splattercat if he were to stop fucking singing with that horrible voice of his.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No dwarf, no buy. Don't call yourself fantasy and have a bunch of gobblygook races but have no dwarves. EVIL

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Is this a dialogue heavy RPG?

There's a fair amount but so far most of it is optional. I'm assuming something called Caves of Lore would have lots of... lore. And that seems to be the case.

So how's the gameplay, how's the RPG system? I don't like pixelgames generally but I'm actually starved for some good TBS party combat and the trailers on Steam look solid gameplay-wise.

It's good, but some parts are not well explained. There are tutorials, but since the game is not especially difficult, I mostly just use my intuition.

I really like the game so far, but I'm biased since I really like this kind of game. There are definitely significant signs of roughness.

Copy pasting my impressions from the news thread:

I'm not too far, about two hours in. My opinions.

Pros:

• Great music
  • I like the art and animations, even if they are simple
  • Each character has their own special skills to use on the map, they open up new dialogue with NPCs, etc
  • The RPG basics are done very well for a first time solodev (better than me at any rate)
  • The writing is competent enough
  • A classic cave-exploring, party-based, turn-based RPG

Cons:

• Buggy. There's no way around it, there's a fair amount of bugs in here.
  • Some weird design decisions, and the system is not explained well. Some mechanics are left vague.
  • Way too easy. Are there any drawbacks to the resting system? Seems like you could just spam rests and you'd steamroll all the combat encounters.
  • Some balancing issues, certain spells (like the rock drop that stuns enemies) are way too strong.
  • Lots of typos

Right now I would say this is the type of game you buy to support the dev, but it holds a fair amount of promise. IMO, releasing into early access would've helped a lot.

Jinn

Arcane
  • Way too easy. Are there any drawbacks to the resting system? Seems like you could just spam rests and you'd steamroll all the combat encounters.

Major bummer, this one. Just got home and was going to buy immediately, but this would be the only reason I wouldn't. Hopefully something that is addressed in the near future. I'll buy it as soon as it is. Please let us know if you have any plans to fix this, LoreMaster!

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Major bummer, this one. Just got home and was going to buy immediately, but this would be the only reason I wouldn't. Hopefully something that is addressed in the near future. I'll buy it as soon as it is. Please let us know if you have any plans to fix this, LoreMaster!
Adding an additional difficulty level would be my recommendation. Retains the accessibility for the wider audience while satisfying the hardcore crowd.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
It is very annoying that pressing Esc does not bring up menu / do anything. Need to press menu button with cursor every time which is not a deal breaking obviously but would be nice QoL.

Is there an option to close game / bring up menu in middle of combat?

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Damn I thought this game had come out on Friday but when I checked the Steam page it still showed as unavailable, so I just assumed it wasn't ready. I can't belive I didn't think to check again the next day and missed the whole weekend that I could have been playing it! I'll definitely buy a copy tonight though probably won't be able to really play it for a few days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom