Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caves of Lore - turn-based pixel art RPG inspired by classics

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah, GOG has become a strange place in the last years. Less and less "good old games", more and more cheap manga and hentai crap. And they regularly reject interesting indie games without discernible reason.
Yeah,like titan outpost,great game for sure and would recommend it to anyone who haven't tried it.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
didn't it take like over a year for Grimoire to get into GOG?

anyway I have so far only finished tutorial going to wait couple weeks until some stuff gets fixed

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must concur with what others have said. This game is very buggy and there are a bunch of things that aren't explained, and not in the good way. Nothing game-breaking yet though, and it feels like there could be a decent enough game here.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah the game does have poor utility design,also lacks keybinding and a lot of clicking for casting spells. Still the combat is solid,the magic system is interesting and the exploration is good.

Jinn

Arcane
Going to quote myself from the news thread since I know a lot of people don't look there.

Yeah, the game is great. Played about 4 hours of it before deciding to wait for the bugs to be mostly squashed before going any further. When it looks like that's the case, I'll be starting a new game and hitting it hard. Still happy to support the guy. This is exactly the type of RPG I want to see coming out, and the passion is clearly there.

A word on the difficulty discussion from earlier: the game does start to ramp up in difficulty after the tutorial area despite camping still being pretty abusable. While it's not nearly as bad as was suggested in @Tyranicon's post on the matter, the camping mechanic would still benefit from further tweaking to make it less easy to abuse. Maybe later in the game there's factors that do just that, but I kind of doubt it. Hardly a deal-breaker by any means, but it's one of those areas that could be tightened up. Besides that, there is a lot to like here. I look forward to being able to properly dig in and play the shit out of it.

This game is worth paying attention to, if not supporting. And quite frankly, it's a little concerning how little attention it's gotten around here. Brings to mind how tossed-aside excellent games like Realms of Antiquity and Nox Archaist were too.

Ok, I guess I'll wait for some months too before I attempt a serious playthrough... I'm just at the beginning, roaming through the first settlement and found those vases and amphoras (needless to say I smashed them all). Then I noticed that chest with a timer on top, when I opened it and stole the stuff in it, the timer began to count down from 2 hours... what the hell? Is there a game inherent reason why there are these countdowns ticking down? Then I walked a little further and got irreversibly stuck in the floor, no way to move out again.
I really like the game and its feeling but it seems there is need for quite some more months of bug squishing before I'll play it again.

Is there a game inherent reason why there are these countdowns ticking down?
Each 2 hours the chest will be filled again by the archaeologist guy with random items he found, I think he explains that when you talk to him.
Aaah ok, I understand. I thought it to be a bug. I didn't even talk to the guy, just wanted to smash everything in sight. :D Thanks for enlightening me. I'd prefer it to be less intrusive though, feels detrimental to atmosphere and immersion.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I've noticed there are a couple of these incongruous clashes between old- and new-school. Like quest markers above characters' heads. Tempted to lump the counter that shows secrets per area in with those, but in truth it's more reminiscent of old shooters. Still not a feature you see in most RPGs.

pavis

Educated
I've played for about 8 hours and this chest is the only thing I saw with a timer. There are quest markers above npc heads yes but it doesn't bother me, you don't have to talk to each npc you see.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I picked this up at launch and messed around a bit in the tutorial. Mostly waiting for the guy to slow patching down to say... <1/day. Right now he's at like 1-4 every time I look at it, even if I'm actively using my gaming computer with 1-4 patch notes/day, sometimes with multiple updates per patch note. That's even worse than launch state Owlcats, but I get that it's one guy, so I'm not mad about it or anything.

Acrux

Arcane
Screenshot-2023-02-02-202505.jpg

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Hi everyone! It's been fun reading this thread. I have been really busy as noted in the above comment. So yeah, I was a bit unprepared for the amount of players and amount of bugs at launch. I was getting easily a hundred comments a day, from questions about spoilers, to bug reports to ways to improve. I answered all of them, and I'd be happy to answer any more questions.

For those waiting for less patches a day, I get it. At this point most of the patches are just improvements, not bug fixes. I'm mostly over that hump.

About the timer chests, the archeologist explains that he fills them with things he finds in his excavations. It's the only timer based object in the game, and there as a fun side thing.
I definitely mixed a lot of old and modern elements in, so the game will sometimes feel like its bridging two worlds. What I attempted was to get the best of both.

Anyways, sorry it took so long to come over here and chat. It's been a bit crazy.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
I'm also taking a break from this for the time being. Too many confusing and unexplained UI elements, text appearing on top of other text, menus not closing out properly, as well as actual "it is not advised to save your game, an error has occurred" proper bugs. I wish the developer all the best, because the game seems cool. The spell system in particular looks like it could be very addictive. Just needs a bit more time in the oven.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
I'm also taking a break from this for the time being. Too many confusing and unexplained UI elements, text appearing on top of other text, menus not closing out properly, as well as actual "it is not advised to save your game, an error has occurred" proper bugs. I wish the developer all the best, because the game seems cool. The spell system in particular looks like it could be very addictive. Just needs a bit more time in the oven.
Oh, well sorry about that. I'm not aware of any 'don't save your game' bugs at the moment, but I understand taking a break if you are getting them. If you want to help you can send over details of those bugs, otherwise I can't really do anything until someone reports it. As to the 200 bugs or so on Discord, they vary widely in scope and some are repeats or not bugs at all. I don't want people to have the impression there are 200 open issues, so I'll start clearing that out so it reflects the current state better. Thanks for the heads up.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Oh, well sorry about that. I'm not aware of any 'don't save your game' bugs at the moment, but I understand taking a break if you are getting them. If you want to help you can send over details of those bugs, otherwise I can't really do anything until someone reports it. As to the 200 bugs or so on Discord, they vary widely in scope and some are repeats or not bugs at all. I don't want people to have the impression there are 200 open issues, so I'll start clearing that out so it reflects the current state better. Thanks for the heads up.
Also you should really add a book or upload it somewhere on the net,the meaning of arcane sight signs. Some of them you could get to know their meaning trough actions you take,but some are total mystery.

LoreMaster

Red Plume
Developer
Also you should really add a book or upload it somewhere on the net,the meaning of arcane sight signs. Some of them you could get to know their meaning trough actions you take,but some are total mystery.
They are meant to be mysterious., but there's a legend for them in the main underground city, in the southern section.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
They are meant to be mysterious., but there's a legend for them in the main underground city, in the southern section.
Yeah, I don't want any more things like that explained. Figuring out mysterious stuff is half the point of this type of game.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah, I don't want any more things like that explained. Figuring out mysterious stuff is half the point of this type of game.
Sure,some of them you could explain by doing shit,but some you are left scratching your head about. I am grown man,i do have job and other family duties,i don't want to waste hours running around checking signs and shit. Would prefer to just check out something and continue enjoying the game.

Jinn

Arcane
"it is not advised to save your game, an error has occurred"

These were the messages that ultimately made me give up my 4 hour playthrough. I figured I'd delete the entire game and associated folders/saves, wait a few weeks, and come back with a fresh install. That was a couple weeks ago now. When did you start the game file you're referring to?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom