Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Projekt's CYBERPUNK 2077 Release Thread - Concerned For The Consoles

Discussion in 'CD Projekt Red' started by Sam Ecorners, Dec 10, 2020.

1. North Gibraltarian Dog Learned

North Gibraltarian Dog
    New official statement by CD Projekt CEO, guys!

-He reiterates his deep concern.

-Talks for first time about rpg systems and mechanics!

- And explain in detail what he think should be the next steps to fix every problem.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 20
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ChildInTime Learned

ChildInTime
    Yeah, I suppose that cutscene was really meant to be played in full after lifepath prologues. What little time V spent with Jackie didn't stop me from feeling sad at his death, you can actually visit his funeral, talk to his mother, Misty is there as one of the central characters of the whole narrative etc, also
    Show Spoiler
    that scene on the roof in one of the endings, where you meet his construct while inside Mikoshi... him repeating those phrases from the beginning of the game, was pretty heartbreaking, female V voice actress really sells all those emotional scenes.

^ Top  
  3. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    And the drama keeps you going...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    The introduction, lifepaths and everything else starting off feels very undercooked.

V just darts off right away. no pre-text really, you just get put into this world without knowing anything about it.

and then ur supposed to care about jackie, watch cutscene, wow u had a great time together, suddenly you meet the best fixers ever.

it's all kind of chaotic and messy, you don't feel the progressions at the start, you're just thrown into it head first.

The rags to riches story is great, but feels tacked on here.

• Agree Agree x 10
    ^ Top  
  5. T.Ashpool Educated

T.Ashpool
    remember when they said during dialogue you can look at objects and things like that, which would give you additional dialogue choices and change conversations? the whole reason they made them from an fp perspective instead of third person like in witcher. it barely exists,
    i think looking at johnny gave me additional lines a couple times but that's it. another feature that got cut or downgraded to a point where you barely can say it's in anymore.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Using moving sprites as replacement for traffic isn't common practice in Open world games whether they disappear or not - I can't think of one, has never been as far as I can think back. Static objects like bushes, trees or similar in older games where it's not immediately hilariously apparent that there's a .jpg moving around in the background, especially in older games yes, things like traffic not so much. I wonder if it's as obvious and jarring in Cyberjunk because everyone is turning off all the Filtering stuff like Motion Blur, Film Grain, Depth of Field, Chromatic Aberration and Lens Flare that were meant to somewhat mask such inconvenient details in the distance.

"Cyberjunk 2077 - The best elevator with three light sources rendering the world has ever seen!"

Not like this was important for the setting and aesthetic or anything...

"Dobry, put a filter on the screen, nobody notice."

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I had the same feeling that the pre-heist part of the main quest is going too quickly, but you have to read a little bette than the common peasant. Jackie is overhyped about Dexter and is prone to overstating how famous a fixer he is. Dex is just putting on airs a lot, and that's calculated for effect on impressionable wannabes like V and Jackie. He tests the ground with you from the beginning by starting with the question that's essentially "so do you want to become a big name in this business?" and keeps working in that direction in order to manipulate you into doing dangerous stuff for little pay. It's kind of like the Vito and Joe story, except Joe dies early on. It's true they could have delved longer on this motive of the story, so that the contrast with the player's outlook post-heist would be sharper, and the feeling of V becoming a "grownup" overnight is better emphasized and impacts the player's mood as well.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    It's also probably more of a pragmatic "We only have the Hype for release once and we know the game internally is a Shitshow, if we stagger out the release the Hype bubble will have already popped and we have to work and get Sales from the game as-is not as people hoped it would be in their imagination after all the Opinions, reviews and YouTube videos are out there."
    You only get one shot at this at Launch and they managed 8million+ Pre-Orders and turning Profit Day1 based on Hype alone before anyone even knew what the game was like. You can do staggered releases with added platforms with highly praised titles with generally positive mainstream player Feedback like GTA or the Elder Scrolls. You will only get one chance with a title that you know is highly flawed.

Console versions seem to have enough reviews to have a Score now too:
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/cyberpunk-2077
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/cyberpunk-2077

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Yeahif you cn do that, game could be more bearable.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Mintbarbecue Literate

Mintbarbecue
    So basically the game is in Early acces "very early indeed".
    No wonder they were pushing the whole penis customization thing and having Jhon Wick aka Keanu wooden actor of the decade in the game.
    They probably tought that would make everything magically disappear.
    Smoke and mirrors all the way to the bank.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Iconic means it's just rare and you cannot really find them on street gangs. They have some slight differences too.
    There are lots of hand placed weapons, armors and experience boosters, they are just drowned under tons of thrash loot.
    And then there is unique weapons. They've special names and some can only be crafted, others hidden or behind some quests. I got one unique sniper from a brawl quest as reward. It shoots explosive ammo.
    Another I found is a pistol that normally shots two rounds with each shot. You can rise up the number of rounds with charging it.
    My personel favorite is the "smart" pistol though. Levels up with you.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Origin Augur

Origin
    Today I learned how you spend $314 million budget.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/gaming/gaming-cars-cyberpunk-2077#1

This is fifth time this year I'm reading the same article on Top Gear.

Priorities are priorities.

It's a pity folks at Top Gear didn't try driving these cars.

What exactly is the point of wasting money on sponsored article in Top Gear? So it could attract car enthusiasts?

What is there for them? Atrocious physics? Crazy vehicles behaving possessed?

Some people here suck up on CD Projekt's apology, but it seems they still insist on deceiving potential customers.

LOL

• Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. msxyz Augur

msxyz
    50/100 official score on MC for consoles is going to cause a shakeup in CDPR management. Some heads will roll (not necessarily the real culprits, scapegoating is common in corpo culture while the real cunts usually land on their feet).

Even a sub 90 for PC is surprising. From what I've experienced first hand, the bugs on the PC version are not even at Bethesda level; it must have been due to the game not being 'progressive' enough (or maybe Bethesda hands out better stuff to the reviewers) :smug:

^ Top  
  14. Bloodeyes Magister

Bloodeyes
    Cyberjunk 2077

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Btw. people noticed that while bikes exist and you can ride them as a player there isn't a single NPC in the Open World that is actually riding them, maybe it would break the "stay in line" "Traffic AI" that the game has: https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkg...s_the_only_person_that_rides_a_bike_in_night/

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. RobotSquirrel Learned

RobotSquirrel
    You need to realise that on a PBR/PBS engine that you're using a pre-baked reflection map so you can only have so many light sources. Even with RTX they're still using a hybridisation approach which generates reflections over the top of a reflection map this is why it looks consistent regardless of if you're using RTX or not plus if you see what games look like with just raytracing they tend to look really artificial and sterile the reflection maps add that much needed texture to them. I can't fault them on the technique its textbook in the way its done in Cyberpunk.

Personally though I don't like to dabble in PBR because its too much handling of assets. I'm the sort of developer that just likes to be done with things and move on so I'm not a fan of the workflow but I can't fault the results in that they do look amazing when done right.
    I tend to just go as far as Diffuse , Normals, AO, Emssive and Specular. Any more than that and I feel you're over doing it since you're going to be ideally putting it into atlases anyway which again is a whole other ballgame of overhandling of assets.

Game development is hard lol.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fenix Arcane Vatnik

Fenix
    Yes, it's mundane. Which makes it even worse.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. GewuerzKahn Savant

GewuerzKahn
    You can dance at the Totentanz (maybe other locations too).
    But it gave me the impression that you could throw your weapon at enemies. That would be kinda fun. :(

^ Top  
  19. just Learned

just
    i went to a club and there was no music coz of some bug
    the party was still going on and i was dancing in silence

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Robber Baron Learned

Robber Baron
    Music is on an encrypted channel for members only

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. just Learned

just
    the bartender did say that he filters out music otherwise he'd be deaf
    me too friend, me too

^ Top  
  22. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    Speaking of graphics quality, don't you have the feeling that Keanu is a noticeably lower quality model than other more detailed minor and major characters? His face proportions seem off, and I even noticed yesterday that he has no eyelashes.

There is the chance that because he is based on a real person I'm more predisposed to finding the differences with the real person, but I don't know, just seems bad.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Yoomazir Novice

Yoomazir
    2 things that have been really bothering me:
    - No flashlight
    - No option to change appearances in the game

I know the later is gonna be added in a patch but how 2 basic features like these aren't included since day one baffles me. Wtf happened during development...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. RapineDel Savant

RapineDel
    Agreed, I haven't done all of them part the Corp one was odd. I'd rather they didn't bother with life paths at all and just gave us a single, coherent starting point that didn't feel rushed.

I feel like they got halfway into development and realised how much more work a "realistic" setting RPG is compared to the typical sword/sorcery and started cutting as much as they could while it all fell apart around them.

A ton of the complaints centre around the city feeling empty but did these people get an alternative version of Novigrad to me in W3? That city to me was pretty similar, it looked great but there was absolutely nothing to do in it aside from play Gwent and accept quests.

The game isn't amazing but its not as bad as Reddit would have you believe, particularly when half their comments are "fuck this game I'm going back to Assassin's Creed Valhalla" which is far more generic and repetitive then this game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    I like that Dex's gun you can loot off his body is called "Plan B".

• Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.