Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Bliblablubb

Arcane
They care that much probably that much, because they planing to use this code again for multiplayer version.
But... it requires savescumming. How would you savescum in a multiplayer game?
IIRC in TW3 you just had to turn around to reroll, but here you need to reload AFAIK.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Why would y'all want your V to romance a tumblrista anyway?
Judy grew increasingly annoying for me as we went through her part of the main quest.

Yes. At some point I was expecting V to just have rough anal sex with her, then cum on her face and say "this is what whores like you deserve. Are you satisfied now?". Then he would throw her clothes out of the window and demand her to leave.

This would be perfect ending for her.

Semiurge

Cipher
Well, this is a game I can skip, I'm not giving CDPR more incentives to release half baked shit. What to anticipate next, Bloodlines 2? Never mind, let me know when this diversity hiring fad is over and commies swing at the end of ropes.

JustMyOnion

Educated
I am always deeply suspicious of SINGLE player games that put FAR too much effort into preventing such things.
Like the patch notes stating that preventing people from savescumming to reroll loot is a priority.

Seriously if CDPR's hubris makes them think those are the game's most glaring problems, they have a lot bigger problems than we thought....

I for one am looking forward to the patch that completely changes the stats of all guns, because some dev was triggered people weren't using HIS favorite guns. :hahano:
They care that much, because they planing to use this code again for multiplayer version.
A first multiplayer game in history of studio, from devs who created such mess of a code as Cyberpunk2077...
Well it would be hilariously to watch.
It will basically be Fallout 76.

typical user

Arbiter
I am always deeply suspicious of SINGLE player games that put FAR too much effort into preventing such things.
Like the patch notes stating that preventing people from savescumming to reroll loot is a priority.

Seriously if CDPR's hubris makes them think those are the game's most glaring problems, they have a lot bigger problems than we thought....

I for one am looking forward to the patch that completely changes the stats of all guns, because some dev was triggered people weren't using HIS favorite guns. :hahano:
They care that much, because they planing to use this code again for multiplayer version.
A first multiplayer game in history of studio, from devs who created such mess of a code as Cyberpunk2077...
Well it would be hilariously to watch.
It will basically be Fallout 76.

I doubt it. After this shitshow people will be posting warnings over their tweets, YT trailers, every article or on their official subreddits warning anyone remotely interested that multiplayer will be subpar experience or complete disaster like single-player.

Fallout 76 wasn't a huge surprise to anyone familiar with past games from Bethesda and their laughable support. It's just people didn't expect them to ask for apology letters explaining how people were able to cheat to get unbanned, sell merch with fake adverts showing different products, refunding a fraction of money by handing over in-game currency or introducing paid-subscription to a broken, empty game. CDPR so far has only issued an official statement regarding PS4 and Xbox One performance or bugs which backfired at them almost instantly. Also Cyberpunk 2077 has drawn different audience, people who wanted to play more challenging games with lasting outcomes than your next walking simulator from Todd.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ods-and-custom-saves-after-exploit-discovered
nNaFDUm.jpg

Cyberpunk hacking is so realistic it can actually hack you. You cannot make this shit up :lol:

JustMyOnion

Educated
On one hand: I doubt most games have super secure savegame loading mechanisms. Aren't they one of the typical means for console jailbreaks?
On the other hand: Buffer overflows in 2021 are a sure sign of horrendous coding practices.

racofer

Thread Incliner
It gets better:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/important-pc-version-vulnerability.11078852/
0XVhpsa.png

The vulnerability was discovered a little while ago but only now CDPR acknowledges it, by shifting blame to modders. Whatever happened to Marcin Iwiński "owning up to their mistakes". Apparently, something happened over at the Geforce Now platform where this vulnerability was used to gain privileged access, so expect more to come out of this.

Here is a summary about the vulnerability:
https://github.com/PixelRick/CyberpunkSaveEditor/blob/main/README.md
A quick summary about the vulnerability I found in the game
The vulnerability impacts DATA files. A buffer overflow can be triggered in the game when it loads those files. The reason is that the game uses a buffer of 512 bytes to serialize a maximum of 512 wide-characters for identifier strings, and that is 1024 bytes (a wide-character is 2 bytes). This buffer overflow can be exploited with the help of a second vulnerability that is a third-party library that the game uses: xinput1_3.dll. This dynamic library is not relocatable and thus is a direct bypass for a security feature called ASLR (Address Space Layour Randomization). Also, this library is enough to build a ROP-chain to bypass DEP (Data Execution Prevention) in order to execute code that has been inlined in the overflowed buffer. (This ROP-chain won't be disclosed any time soon as it represents a risk not only for CP77 but for every piece of software using it..)

I chose to work on the most scary scenario that is code hidden in harmless-looking save files. When the game does read this file it uses a specific reader object that I use in the shellcode to read more after the 1024 bytes string and thus load an even bigger shellcode.. this second shellcode does different things: it hides the exploit from the file reader so that it can load the original save file afterwards; it reads a payload dll and manually maps it; it repairs the stack to be able to call load_save again; it repairs other things i won't disclose here; it does a copy of the exploit in memory; it hooks the file writing method to be able to inject the exploit in future save files when the game does save or auto-save.. At this point it is what we could call a virus-dropper worm that would use save files sharing to spread. Don't worry though, the only version I shared with trustworthy people is one that crashes the game and has no worm capabilities at all. But it is possible someone else found it earlier and kept the information secret, and that's why cdpr relayed the warning to the community.

This is a shared responsiblity between CDPR for the buffer overflow and Microsoft for not providing a safe backward compatible version of xinput to companies in need. CDPR did fix the buffer overflow internally, and this fix is expected to arrive with one of the next two patches.

Thanks to yamashi who is currently protecting people from this exploit by patching the first vulnerability dynamically with his mod https://github.com/yamashi/CyberEngineTweaks/ that is used by many.

Please mind that it is only about data files. Once the vulnerability is patched, only data files will be safe to use again (texture, model mods, saves, etc..), whereas executable mods will remain potentially dangerous and will always be (so at least check their authors and comments about them first).

There wasn't any bug bounty program so I received peanuts for the discovery.

If you wish to thank me for it, I wouldn't be against being offered a cyberpunk t-shirt ;)

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
What do you mean you don't force DYNAMICBASE in Windows settings? All Windows binaries are already position-independent.

Gargaune

Magister
It gets better:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/important-pc-version-vulnerability.11078852/
0XVhpsa.png

The vulnerability was discovered a little while ago but only now CDPR acknowledges it, by shifting blame to modders. Whatever happened to Marcin Iwiński "owning up to their mistakes". Apparently, something happened over at the Geforce Now platform where this vulnerability was used to gain privileged access, so expect more to come out of this.

Here is a summary about the vulnerability:
https://github.com/PixelRick/CyberpunkSaveEditor/blob/main/README.md
A quick summary about the vulnerability I found in the game
The vulnerability impacts DATA files. A buffer overflow can be triggered in the game when it loads those files. The reason is that the game uses a buffer of 512 bytes to serialize a maximum of 512 wide-characters for identifier strings, and that is 1024 bytes (a wide-character is 2 bytes). This buffer overflow can be exploited with the help of a second vulnerability that is a third-party library that the game uses: xinput1_3.dll. This dynamic library is not relocatable and thus is a direct bypass for a security feature called ASLR (Address Space Layour Randomization). Also, this library is enough to build a ROP-chain to bypass DEP (Data Execution Prevention) in order to execute code that has been inlined in the overflowed buffer. (This ROP-chain won't be disclosed any time soon as it represents a risk not only for CP77 but for every piece of software using it..)

I chose to work on the most scary scenario that is code hidden in harmless-looking save files. When the game does read this file it uses a specific reader object that I use in the shellcode to read more after the 1024 bytes string and thus load an even bigger shellcode.. this second shellcode does different things: it hides the exploit from the file reader so that it can load the original save file afterwards; it reads a payload dll and manually maps it; it repairs the stack to be able to call load_save again; it repairs other things i won't disclose here; it does a copy of the exploit in memory; it hooks the file writing method to be able to inject the exploit in future save files when the game does save or auto-save.. At this point it is what we could call a virus-dropper worm that would use save files sharing to spread. Don't worry though, the only version I shared with trustworthy people is one that crashes the game and has no worm capabilities at all. But it is possible someone else found it earlier and kept the information secret, and that's why cdpr relayed the warning to the community.

This is a shared responsiblity between CDPR for the buffer overflow and Microsoft for not providing a safe backward compatible version of xinput to companies in need. CDPR did fix the buffer overflow internally, and this fix is expected to arrive with one of the next two patches.

Thanks to yamashi who is currently protecting people from this exploit by patching the first vulnerability dynamically with his mod https://github.com/yamashi/CyberEngineTweaks/ that is used by many.

Please mind that it is only about data files. Once the vulnerability is patched, only data files will be safe to use again (texture, model mods, saves, etc..), whereas executable mods will remain potentially dangerous and will always be (so at least check their authors and comments about them first).

There wasn't any bug bounty program so I received peanuts for the discovery.

If you wish to thank me for it, I wouldn't be against being offered a cyberpunk t-shirt ;)
What a circus. "MODS WILL FIX SECURE IT!" I've never understood the appeal of downloading someone else's save, but still, this is something else.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also, modders discovered that most clothing mods and some cyberware dont apply their effect and every single ultimate perk in the game break on reload, yes, this after the latest patch, they still didnt fix it. Yeah boys, so much for that "The PC version is perfect, we are only having problems with consoles." that Marcin was bullshiting about.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Also, modders discovered that most clothing mods and some cyberware dont apply their effect and every single ultimate perk in the game break on reload, yes, this after the latest patch, they still didnt fix it. Yeah boys, so much for that "The PC version is perfect, we are only having problems with consoles." that Marcin was bullshiting about.
t1W2SE1.png

q08uaWP.png

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On one hand: I doubt most games have super secure savegame loading mechanisms. Aren't they one of the typical means for console jailbreaks?
On the other hand: Buffer overflows in 2021 are a sure sign of horrendous coding practices.

Nah, it is extremely common in games to assume all data are valid, after all they're not made with security in mind. Exception being online games (and engines like unity/unreal that are often used for online games), but when it comes to singleplayer games - especially those using custom engines - you can crash a lot of them by inserting random bytes in savegames, data files, etc.

But TBH this is the case with any data file or program, downloading random crap from the Internet can harm your computer - just because it doesn't have an .exe extension it doesn't mean it is safe. I think people are overblowing this.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Turns out I might have been blaming the game for a violent bug that might have not (entirely) been his fault after all. :oops:
As I said before, my game liked to crash repeatedly on startup during the title cards for... reasons.
I had read about people having similar problems thanks to galaxy overlays, but since I am not using it, I dismissed that.
But, it brought my suspishuns suspicions about the radeon bloatware back up. So, I made a new clean install of all drivers and fired it up again, FOR SCIENCE.
Lo and behold, no crashes anymore. Where it would crash, I now get... a tiny "press alt-r for options" overlay.

What. The. Fuck.

How can the failure to display that lead to violent crashes up to bluescreens? :hahano:

But, I am not beyond admitting if I was wrong, so: Sorry game. Probably. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom