Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Zer0wing

Cipher
The engine's fine, the content's the problem.
The engine is having a hard time executing scripts, loading assets and detect collisions, well, in time. On top of frametime inconsistencies. On top of game loading waaaay too early. These are symptomns of not very well used hardware due to a fuck up deep in the architecture.

Gargaune

Magister
The engine is having a hard time executing scripts, loading assets and detect collisions, well, in time. On top of frametime inconsistencies. On top of game loading waaaay too early. These are symptomns of not very well used hardware due to a fuck up deep in the architecture.
I'm not seeing much in that regard. I've only experienced two severe bugs in my time with the game so far - that weird performance plunge on the previous page and one CTD. I have also seen minor bugs on occasion, like animation glitches or LOD/culling failures, but rather rarely. I've been bitching at length about CPU load, but that's more on my cooling limitations than the game itself.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I'm not seeing much in that regard. I've only experienced two severe bugs in my time with the game so far - that weird performance plunge on the previous page and one CTD. I have also seen minor bugs on occasion, like animation glitches or LOD/culling failures, but rather rarely. I've been bitching at length about CPU load, but that's more on my cooling limitations than the game itself.

Truth be told, i tried this in December (haven't bothered after that) and it was the most unoptimized piece of garbage i have ever installed on my system in 30 years of PC Master Race. So i can easily believe that most problems are produced by the inability of the engine to run properly on modern hardware.

Danikas

Arcane
So, this is never getting fixed? Where are the expansions? But but but muh CDPR the gamer-savers? They are worse than EA.
Dunno about being worse than EA but they are pretty fucking slow with new content Witcher 3 after 5 months had free dlc and hearts of stone dlc released not to mention gorrilion of patches Cyberpunk doesen't even have a release date for free dlc after 5 months....

Gargaune

Magister
Truth be told, i tried this in December (haven't bothered after that) and it was the most unoptimized piece of garbage i have ever installed on my system in 30 years of PC Master Race. So i can easily believe that most problems are produced by the inability of the engine to run properly on modern hardware.
The general consensus seems to be that the game has trouble running on outdated hardware. At least on my end, I'm running it on what was relatively high-end 2019 gear and it's been looking great and running solid, and plenty others in this thread have been getting good mileage out of older rigs. From what I've seen skimming Reddit, next-gen console peasants also seem to be content with the performance, it's mainly the PS4/Xbox One crowd that are having major issues.

Dunno about being worse than EA but they are pretty fucking slow with new content Witcher 3 after 5 months had free dlc and hearts of stone dlc released not to mention gorrilion of patches Cyberpunk doesen't even have a release date for free dlc after 5 months....
Yeah, it does look like whatever's gone down has hit 'em hard in the logistics department. I'd have expected them to try and distract us with shiny DLC objects by now. They really should.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I liked the writing in act 1, i.e. everything without the Keanu Reeves character.

DeepOcean

Arcane
why is this thread still going on if the game has proven to be a lacklustre waste of anyone's time and money, a scam yet unseen in the industry, the final nail in CDPR's coffin, and probably gay as well
some of y'all really like to go for low-hanging pats on the back it seems
It is like a good comedy show, every day you come to see a new episode of the: "The misadventures of CDPR, the intrepid troupe of pollacks and how everything goes wrong around them."

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The bugs I'm seeing still are irritating but ultimately trivial. If you're playing on a solid PC with no inherent stability issues (which CP2077 will expose) then most of the time what you're dealing with are things like NPCs walking in circles, the occasional merged NPC, plus things like main NPCs holding onto an object incorrectly and objects floating in the air, etc. All this serves to break the holy IMMURSHUN factor but none of it prevents the game from being played.

Personally, I'd like to see most if not all of them worked out, because the only value I see in this game is precisely the IMMURSHUN factor.

Gargaune

Magister
I liked the writing in act 1, i.e. everything without the Keanu Reeves character.
I actually kinda like the writing when it's not trying to out-edge the Codex. In fact, I even like Silverhand as a character, he's a violent sociopath but he's a compelling screen presence and he's funny.

The problem is that the narrative design is pretty damn bad, and this also rubs off on the writing where the two meet. For example, I've dropped Panam's quest line halfway through and walked away from Judy's altogether. Why would I be getting involved in any of that? While the characters are well fleshed out, they're decidedly not very captivating (Panam's practically a mini-Silverhand minus the humour) and their concerns are critically at odds with the protagonist's pursuits. You need to have some narrative motivation for the player to do shit, you can't just rely on "well, crap, I paid for the game, might as well" and it paints a really bleak picture when the best way to roleplay your game is to not engage with the content.

On a sidenote, I just did the Chippin' In side job. So you sneak through a courtyard, get on a boat and then... I almost expected there'd be more to it, but then you shoot a couple of dudes and talk to one of 'em. You guys remember the super-freighter in Deus Ex? Yeah. What a shame.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Also, there is a tendency on CDPR level design that while on other popamole stealth games, you at least have to find the stealth route, on Cyberbug, on many missions, to do the stealth path, you just need to walk on a straight line to the end.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Is this game even an RPG? Why is it in the RPG section?
GxhAk1s.jpg

Semiurge

Cipher
Whoever made the decision to start development from scratch is the cause for this trainwreck. It doesn't matter what they had worked on before it, had they stuck with the original plan it would've turned out better in the end. It might've had an ounce of ambition despite being technically unfinished because of time restraints. Someone made the choice to ruin CP77 for you, but it wasn't Keanu. Oh well, CDPR will never attempt to develop another ambitious single-playing game ever again after this fiasco. You'll get spinoffs and stupid MMOs, all developed according to the "agile" model. Shareholders will be pleased.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whoever made the decision to start development from scratch is the cause for this trainwreck. It doesn't matter what they had worked on before it, had they stuck with the original plan it would've turned out better in the end. It might've had an ounce of ambition despite being technically unfinished because of time restraints. Someone made the choice to ruin CP77 for you, but it wasn't Keanu. Oh well, CDPR will never attempt to develop another ambitious single-playing game ever again after this fiasco. You'll get spinoffs and stupid MMOs, all developed according to the "agile" model. Shareholders will be pleased.

It seems to me that the original vision was ruined due trying to make the game multiplayer instead of focusing on what they knew. They saw the success of GTA online and wanted to replicate it, but didnt have experience in making multiplayer games. Add to it that bunch of talent left and was replaced by diversity hires and you had a recipe for disaster.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You need to have some narrative motivation for the player to do shit
They got OMGTITS. That's enough motivation for most of their simp audience. That's why they got so butthurt over Judy being a vagitarian, why they pretend to like Panam. Or maybe they do like her, she's pretty close to a twitch thot experience after all.. :hahano:

Wesp5

Arcane
Personally, I'd like to see most if not all of them worked out, because the only value I see in this game is precisely the IMMURSHUN factor.

Those are the type of bugs that I can't get out of Bloodlines although I am patching for decades and they can happen in newer games like GTA V too...

typical user

Arbiter
Players can pick their backstory, they can choose to be sneaky/loud, lethal/non-lethal and choose a romance option, if they take drugs and the ending. It is an RPG although a shitty one. It's bizzare when you have AAA asset quality but the gameplay design feels like bootleg gopnik work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom