Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Jason Liang

Arcane
Is this game worth getting for $17.99? I'm ordering NBA 2k23 on Amazon for $19.99 and need to add something else to get free shipping, so my bar is pretty low. Is it at least better than Underrail?
You are ordering an EA sports game in current year, pretty sure this game is worth at least that much. Low bar indeed!
2k is Take 2, not EA! Also supposed to be one of the best sports video games ever made.

I'm choosing between Cyberpunk 2077 for $17.99 and Red Dead Redemption 2 for $25.99.

ind33d

Learned
get 2077 cheap so you can play Phantom Liberty later. The CDPR guy said that most of the cut content should be fixed when PL comes out

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this game worth getting for $17.99? I'm ordering NBA 2k23 on Amazon for $19.99 and need to add something else to get free shipping, so my bar is pretty low. Is it at least better than Underrail?
It's a pollworthy game, for sure.

I'm going for a 100% cheevo run. I think i'm about at 140h and 40% through main story. There's just so many ncpd missions, all probably due to the cut cop origin story.

Also probably the best part is to ride around and look at the visuals, as mentioned many times ITT. Objectively, it's not bad, but it's not great either. I've just got a soft place in my heart for it, having played the cp2020 pnp since '92.

Jason Liang

Arcane
It's a pollworthy game, for sure.

I'm going for a 100% cheevo run. I think i'm about at 140h and 40% through main story. There's just so many ncpd missions, all probably due to the cut cop origin story.

Also probably the best part is to ride around and look at the visuals, as mentioned many times ITT. Objectively, it's not bad, but it's not great either. I've just got a soft place in my heart for it, having played the cp2020 pnp since '92.
Yeah, the original Netrunner CCG is one of my favorite games ever so I have a lot of nostalgia for the setting. But this isn't how I imagined Night City either so

Kev Inkline

(devious)
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I didn't envision NC to be so bright either, but Pondsmith seems to be okay with it. Also, you get enough of rain and darkness, if you like. Just go out night time.

ind33d

Learned
I'm really surprised CDPR hasn't tried to bullshit all the branching pathway stuff by having it occur off-screen in text messages. There are so many low-budget ways you can fake choice and consequence. Shit, New Vegas ended on a Powerpoint presentation

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i wanted to grab your attention to the most ridiculous build I did yet while trying to give ricochets another go.
apparently ricochets were redone at some point and received some boosts. Now you dont need to bother with trajectories. Once you hit the wall/ground by your target -> bullets become homing. All of them. And it doesnt appear that enemies can pull matrix dodges on bounced projectiles.
But wait, there is more - I have no idea what is base dmg of bounced projectile. Is it 100%? no Idea. Thing is you can raise it up with items(there are new muzzles), cyberware and perk. I can confirm that bounced projectile deals more dmg with investment. You can also raise some stats like bouncing angle and number of bounces(whatever, 1 is enough since they are homing)

mechanics wise it appears to hit targets that you can see, so you cant spray towards enemy hiding behind the obstacle.

Now what is the most riddiculous weapon to use? That would be problem solver. It comes with 85 rounds magazine and once upgraded to legendary it provides highest number of shots per second. If you never played with it - you should. Experience is... something else. That being said I never tried using it with character high into assault tree, which provides plenty of recoil control.
Normally due to recoil that matches number of shots its hard to hit your target reliably - forget about full auto. Not a problem with ricochets - you can spray at the ground and you will down whole group of enemies. No need for using sights either.

You can do even more. If you invest 20 INT and get legendary shock - you will shock your enemies en masse.
And if you get 20 INT, did you try doing breach protocol with legendary blindness and weapon glitch?

Cyberpunk 2077 is the best game to come out in the last 3 years or so. Take that as you will.

Once they patched up the obviously bad shit and the bugs, it's become a good game. Huge open world, one of the most impressive (graphically) recreated cities in a game ever, tons of shit to do, good characters, dialogue, cutscenes, quality writing as is always the case with CDProjektRed. Even the gameplay is not terrible, the combat feels good (the only downside to it is the sponginess of enemies on higher difficulties), the cars and motorcycles handle better than at launch.

Now, if you go into this expecting outstanding gameplay, that's your own fault, as that's not something CDProjekt ever did. But CP2077 does relatively well at their strengths. It's not as good as Witcher 3, but few games are.

what about npcs vanishing as soon as you look away? police appearing out of thin air? fake car chases?

It's not GTA (which btw also has this, just in GTA the bubble around your character is larger, so you don't notice this as much). None of the open world games so far that have an entire city feature true simulation. Would be great to have this one day, but it will be something like Dwarf Fortress rather than a GTA type game most likely.

Main quest missions, side quests, fixer missions, just driving around the city and taking down criminals for money, etc.

It's not like GTA where you have a million side things to do, but with all the stuff I mentioned above, very easy to put in a 100 hours.

lefthandblack

Arcane
what about npcs vanishing as soon as you look away? police appearing out of thin air? fake car chases?
This is not true. Npc's that you are chasing, whether on foot or in a car have to get quite a distance away from you before they disappear. This actually adds to the gameplay as it can actually be a challenge catch and kill that bluehaired cunt that you have decided to murder, assuming you don't do anything as unsporting as resorting to a non-melee weapon instead of melee or fists. In cars they can be even more challenging.

Last edited:

lefthandblack

Arcane
This would show what exactly? That the wandering npc's are not persistent? No shit sherlock. Given the large numbers of wandering npc's in the game, making them persistent would bring the fastest DARPA supercomputer to it's knees. That kind of thing is not possible with current technology, some abstraction is still required.

It's a dumb argument in general. GTA NPCs are not persistent either, they exist in a bubble around the player. But with CP2077 all this shit suddenly becomes grounds for criticism.

Cp2077 was never meant to be a real simulation, it's just an illusion of a city to serve as a backprop for the story/quests.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
yeah whatever. I will forever criticize due to police chases being non-existent and rampages being unfun. Best you can do is to go on killing spree in heavy gang territory.

As for actual gta like rampages, its amazing that with drugs everywhere and cyber psychosis we get none of it

It wouldn't fit CP2077 at all. GTA games had some gangster story in the center, but always featured a wacky sidegame where you could go nuts and explode shit, and drive a tank and shoot down helicopters. But it was so narratively dissonant that they actually introduced a separate character in GTA V (Trevor) to try to explain it.

CP2077 is a much more serious, narratively driven game, so that kind of rampage shit would bring very little to it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I decided to order the game, arriving next Tuesday. I don't expect it to be better than GTA V, just better than Underrail.
it's probably the best shooter ever made

Underrail?

Possibly. Certainly it's the most plausible candidate out of the three games being discussed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom