Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You'll have to provide an example of what you consider a model cyberpunk setting, cos NC feels plenty dystopian to me.
Certainly californian palm trees and sunshine don't help, blame that on cybernegro prime Pondsmith and globalwarmthinkery (maybe). He could have put Night City in Washington state rather than on the (central?) Californian coastline. At least make it rain or be foggy 90% of the time as people already mentioned.
Even though Night City is located on the Californian coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, it was depicted as having weather closer to that of Seattle, though perhaps with even more rain. People claiming otherwise don't seem to have bothered reviewing the artwork of Cyberpunk 2013/2020 products or the text describing Night City. CDPR made an intentional choice to give Night City weather appropriate to the actual Los Angeles or San Diego rather than weather appropriate for a cyberpunk aesthetic, just as they set daytime to last for about 17 hours of every 24 even though it's physically impossible for that location even on the summer solstice.

cyberpunk-2020-68999_8cd12_1024x1024.jpg
NightCityCover300dpi_large_23757370-1e4d-4c26-8ed7-d46cda5d0e3f_1024x1024.jpg

1-06da343109.jpg

gbp713.jpg

From "Welcome to Night City: A Sourcebook for Cyberpunk 2013", by Mike Pondsmith, 1988. :M Atmosphere is defined as a critical element of the game, and this includes gloominess, unceasing rain, and lack of sunshine.

Zeriel

Arcane
This isn't true though.

"Night City today is a rapidly growing urban region, still rife with urban violence and street crime, but with strong economic growth in the Corporate sector. It is the quintessential city of the Cyberpunk future- gritty, dangerous, but possessing an urban slick and stylish cool that makes it unique."

We can discuss what that actually means, but it's clearly more than just the studio set night streets and rain machines.

Sorry, I meant to say that I was responding to the idea of it being about a sunny, optimistic place and that was just a design direction from the tabletop. After posting I realized you didn't specifically call that out, though it was part of the greater conversation.

Zeriel

Arcane
You'll have to provide an example of what you consider a model cyberpunk setting, cos NC feels plenty dystopian to me.
Certainly californian palm trees and sunshine don't help, blame that on cybernegro prime Pondsmith and globalwarmthinkery (maybe). He could have put Night City in Washington state rather than on the (central?) Californian coastline. At least make it rain or be foggy 90% of the time as people already mentioned.
Even though Night City is located on the Californian coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco, it was depicted as having weather closer to that of Seattle, though perhaps with even more rain. People claiming otherwise don't seem to have bothered reviewing the artwork of Cyberpunk 2013/2020 products or the text describing Night City. CDPR made an intentional choice to give Night City weather appropriate to the actual Los Angeles or San Diego rather than weather appropriate for a cyberpunk aesthetic, just as they set daytime to last for about 17 hours of every 24 even though it's physically impossible for that location even on the summer solstice.

cyberpunk-2020-68999_8cd12_1024x1024.jpg
NightCityCover300dpi_large_23757370-1e4d-4c26-8ed7-d46cda5d0e3f_1024x1024.jpg

1-06da343109.jpg

gbp713.jpg

From "Welcome to Night City: A Sourcebook for Cyberpunk 2013", by Mike Pondsmith, 1988. :M Atmosphere is defined as a critical element of the game, and this includes gloominess, unceasing rain, and lack of sunshine.

The other thing is I think a lot of people (not even apparently the CDPR designers) don't understand that he was probably referring to the Bay area? The Bay area is notorious for being much cooler, foggy, etc. It is in fact namedropped in some of the early interviews about 2077 talking to Pondsmith.

People who live there understand this of course, but it seems like to people outside Cali they think the state is the same sundrenched picture everywhere.

Last edited:

Hellion

Arcane
Dammit, I reached the point where you have to choose between Songbird (A) and Reed (B), I read that (B) leads to the most depressing ending of all but if you take into account everything that occurs/is revealed until the very end then selecting (A) pretty much makes you an irredeemable gigantic simpcuck too. There's no way to win in Night City :(

Zeriel

Arcane
Dammit, I reached the point where you have to choose between Songbird (A) and Reed (B), I read that (B) leads to the most depressing ending of all but if you take into account everything that occurs/is revealed until the very end then selecting (A) pretty much makes you an irredeemable gigantic simpcuck too. There's no way to win in Night City :(

From what I heard, the "depressing" ending for others in PL is actually completely non-depressing to me. So very in the eye of the beholder.

Hellion

Arcane
Yeah I guess it is a matter of perspective. In this ending you survive, Johnny is gone forever, but basically you become a weak NPC that can't use implants, and almost everyone that mattered in your life has either forgotten you, died, or moved on. Pretty dark fate imo.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
From "Welcome to Night City: A Sourcebook for Cyberpunk 2013", by Mike Pondsmith, 1988. :M

Sure, but the 2020 Night City is already a vastly different place, with plenty of daylight everywhere. You can walk the down town streets and have the illusion of safety, you can take your kids to the park (during the day, the night belongs to the cannibals), you can take a mag lev train to Westbrook and be turned around cos you don't have a coded ID pass (Westbrook's still a "suburb").

There's even a call out to the improving atmospheric conditions. You only need to buy air during the summer. In fact, I think 2077 has some public announcements about air quality being within human tolerance levels.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
a white bartender just shapeshifted into a nigger right before my eyes, this is going beyond parody right now. hava nagila is going to play any minute now.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah I guess it is a matter of perspective. In this ending you survive, Johnny is gone forever, but basically you become a weak NPC that can't use implants, and almost everyone that mattered in your life has either forgotten you, died, or moved on. Pretty dark fate imo.

It's only a dark fate if you cared about any of them. Personally I just find almost everyone you are supposed to side with in 2077 annoying as fuck, so that's the good ending imo.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Man, that G String thing looks pretty cool. A bit more post-apocalyptic than what I typically associate with cyberpunk, but interesting.

Not sure how distribution works, though, seems you've got a free 2011 mod version on ModDB and then a 2020 commercial version on Steam, but an "ultimate" version is being worked on since 2023...

The free version was one of the best mods for HL2 (that I tried), but I can't recommend it after all the copyrighted music in it was removed, and you can't even watch an old playthrough on youtube to see what you're missing since they automatically remove copyrighted music. The commercial version is a total overhaul and is more in line with any other mod turned into a sold product, with much bigger production values, voice acting which isn't just a Korean woman talking through a distortion filter, and other team members helping out with different parts of the game. They didn't just slap a pricetag on the mod, they rebuilt assets from scratch and it's a very different experience. The opening alone is completely different.

The ultimate version is going to be a slight modification to the buyable version in response to criticism. I wouldn't wait for that, it's not just perfectly playable as it is but a great time in the current state.

It's funny that you'd say that cyberpunk isn't post-apocalyptic, because when I hear the word I think about things like Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? where Earth is a radioactive polluted hellhole that most people would leave if they could, which is also what Blade Runner was loosely based on. G String is also a bit like Akira, with the psychic powers that you use instead of a gravity gun, and the later part of that was post-apocalyptic too.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Once you spergs have gotten burnt by the current thing, which in this case is a P*lish neo-FMV game featuring the favorite e-celebs of reddit with ESG propaganda crammed in to the brim and light Ubisoft "gameplay" stapled on, these are the games you should play to be welcomed back to the gamer race.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Brought the game and as the company has a ESG score, brought in Argentine pesos with 40% off on steam to reduce the maximum the money which I'm giving to a esg company. Any mod which adds magic? I wanna be a technomancer. Just kidding, I'll play without mods for the first time. I just wanna know, how is sniping in this game? There is crazy EMP grenades and ammo to disable cybernetics?

And how is the weapon customization? Can I change the barrel, trigger, stock, etc and do crazy shit like putting a thermal scope in a pistol?

Sniping seems good.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brought the game and as the company has a ESG score, brought in Argentine pesos with 40% off on steam to reduce the maximum the money which I'm giving to a esg company. Any mod which adds magic? I wanna be a technomancer. Just kidding, I'll play without mods for the first time. I just wanna know, how is sniping in this game? There is crazy EMP grenades and ammo to disable cybernetics?

And how is the weapon customization? Can I change the barrel, trigger, stock, etc and do crazy shit like putting a thermal scope in a pistol?

Sniping seems good.

Please virtue signal harder.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard

Rhobar121

Scholar

Is not virtue signaling. I'm just saying what I did so if other people who hate esg and don't wanna to use piracy. Here is the prices per country : https://steamdb.info/sub/367653/

Anyway, back to the game, a video comparing bugthesda adaptation of this movie( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/ ) with cyberbug 2077

you dumb cocksucker

You idiot, do you really think that Bethesha will actually waste her time patching the game? The only time this happened was during the release of f76 and only because the game was in an unplayable state.
The number of bugfixes a month after the premiere should make you think, the game will not be improved in any way unless a bunch of autistic modders who are going to devote hundreds of hours to this garbage take care of it. Nothing less will be able to fix the game.
Considering they didn't care about f4 do you really think they will care about starfield which is even more crap?
Unless your main goal is to install a million nfsw mods, because that's practically the majority of mods that will probably be created.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bethestard butthurt

Yes, before 2.0 seems like Cyberbug 2077 was a early access version of the game. But the game still much cheaper than wokefield. If is up to me to speculate, I would say that the game was made by diversity hires to boost esg score and them, after the flop, cdpr hired based on merit to fix the game. Anyway, is interesting how weapons in cdpr game looks like guns, even the most fictional guns. In wokefield, they look like toys.

This is pre 2.0 and looks amazing :

You idiot, do you really think that Bethesha will actually waste her time patching the game? The only time this happened was during the release of f76 and only because the game was in an unplayable state.
The number of bugfixes a month after the premiere should make you think, the game will not be improved in any way unless a bunch of autistic modders who are going to devote hundreds of hours to this garbage take care of it. Nothing less will be able to fix the game.
Considering they didn't care about f4 do you really think they will care about starfield which is even more crap?

Yep. Well said.

Also, this modders would make a much better use of their work and talent if they decide to contribute with the OpenMW project than to FL4/76 and wokefield.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

Is not virtue signaling. I'm just saying what I did so if other people who hate esg and don't wanna to use piracy. Here is the prices per country : https://steamdb.info/sub/367653/

Anyway, back to the game, a video comparing bugthesda adaptation of this movie( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274518/ ) with cyberbug 2077

you dumb cocksucker

You really are a subhuman bethedadrone time to end youreself.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
You idiot, do you really think that Bethesha will actually waste her time patching the game?
Do you really think they won't? what are you 12? So many morons in these threads.
The number of bugfixes a month after the premiere should make you think,
that's because the game is also on console and has to undergo testing by Microsoft before a patch is rolled out. Really, you should stop spouting your nonsense and just sit on your ass and wait and see. It took 3 years for Cyberpunk to be at this state. There is at least one DLC planned for Starfield, my guess is 3-4 as per usual. Also, for your reference:

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Patches_(Skyrim)
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_4_patches

Azdul

Magister

Yep. Well said.

Also, this modders would make a much better use of their work and talent if they decide to contribute with the OpenMW project than to FL4/76 and wokefield.
I've contributed to OpenMW and made one simple mod for Skyrim / Bruma.

OpenMW requires skills in writting portable Windows/Linux/Mac C++ code. Understanding a project and making a relatively simple change took more than a week. Luckily someone helped me with testing on Mac - otherwise I would not be able to merge anything into OpenMW - as I could test only on Windows and Linux.

Writting simple mod for Skyrim took about 2 hours (with testing) - and first hour was spent on learning Construction Kit from scratch. It had not required years of experience in software development.

Trithne

Erudite
Just what I always wanted, an autistic slapfight between the two Victors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom