Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Gargaune

Arcane
If you have a sub 40x card you can try this
I got +15-20 FPS in Dogtown with Pathtracing + DLSS on 3060
Thanks, but I'm on an RTX 4070. And I don't use Framegen, got some pretty bad ghosting at my low resolution. I did try the Ultra Plust Better etc. etc. mod to squeeze a few more frames out of it, but the visual result did not look similar in the least bit. Maybe it's because I skipped on updating those DLSS libraries, though I doubt it, or maybe the author just has a different definition of "similar quality", but definitely no dice. I wanna try Raytracing Overdrive Path Tracing Optimizations next, take it down from 2 to 1 bounce, and see what PT looks like versus my FPS counter then.

So it should at least be possible to remove the invisible walls and other things that CDPR used to block these areas off. I wonder if somebody had already tried it...
No idea. But AMM is a runtime override initially developed to support CBP's core gameplay loop of "see shiny -> take screenshot", I'm not sure it's what you'd want for any sort of modifications on a large scale.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've really enjoyed this game, having played it for the first time at the 2.0 patch release. It's a really beautiful story and a fantastic atmosphere. Marcin Blacha masterfully pulled through whatever issues they were going through.

Just like in W3, it's the little moments along the way that made it memorable for me. Little random convos with Johnny, listening to Kerry jamming his new song, guitars around campfires. Even Takemura had moments, even though he's clearly suss.

I appreciate that CDPR still holds some sense of normalcy in their games, having hobbies and mini games that include boxing, guitar playing, car modding...

Combat was a bit too easy, but the last boss fight made up for it.

I know it's not a hard core RPG, but the older I get the less I care to classify shit and just enjoy the good things. I'm also glad and scared that CDPR may be one of last large devs catering to my generation's sensibilities and that very soon there'll be just games that I don't understand. Case and point, BG3. Spent an hour in char creation, not because it was enjoyable like in the 1 and 2, but because I was struggling to pick something I could bond with. Hitting randomise button was an excellent highlight of the issue, all male characters look like drag queens with danger hair, and it's friggin Baldur's Gate...

9ted6

Educated
I can't understand the praise for the story in this when you're forced onto a railroad with C&C that doesn't matter leading to one of a few almost identical endings and the whole time you play second fiddle to CDPR's Keanu OC who is the actual main character.

Gargaune

Arcane
I can't understand the praise for the story in this when you're forced onto a railroad with C&C that doesn't matter leading to one of a few almost identical endings and the whole time you play second fiddle to CDPR's Keanu OC who is the actual main character.
In videogames, there's writing and then there's narrative design. Player agency, progression, that relates to the latter and it's where CDPR dropped the ball big time, but Cyberpunk's writing - the sequence of events along its critical thread and how they're presented - is quite decent. Put simply, if Cyberpunk 2077 were a movie, it wouldn't be half bad. Unfortunately, it claims to be an Action-Adventure RPG so it's gonna get subjected to those standards.

Also, in spite of how often I joke about Silverhand being cooler than the protagonist (e.g. look at his girlfriend, then look at V's options), I wouldn't say that he's "the main character" in Cyberpunk, like Elizabeth is in Bioshock Infinite or something. The plot revolves around V and their struggle with mortality whereas Johnny's just a supporting role, a more talkative Alex Jacobson who provides context and feedback to the protagonist's challenges and progression.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
The thing about Johnny is, initially he thinks he's still the main character and slowly, over time realises he's no longer the epicentre and even learns to do things for V. His is a redemption arc, but it requires V to materialise. But oftentimes, V highlights what a selfish asshole Johnny is, so there's that. Not sure how one can jump yo conclusion he's the protagonist lol.

Wesp5

Arcane
His is a redemption arc, but it requires V to materialise. But oftentimes, V highlights what a selfish asshole Johnny is, so there's that.
I agree about Johnny changing over time, it's very obvious in the DLC. And I love how Johnny talks like an asshole which is great in the German translation, fits beautifully into the setting and would probably be impossible if the game would have been made by an American company because he basically offends everyone he is talking about :)!

Case and point, BG3. Spent an hour in char creation, not because it was enjoyable like in the 1 and 2, but because I was struggling to pick something I could bond with. Hitting randomise button was an excellent highlight of the issue, all male characters look like drag queens with danger hair, and it's friggin Baldur's Gate...
woke-Larian-disgrace.png

k3uzgrr1xoua5awodnc6.png

?

Gargaune

Arcane
So I just tried the Path Tracing Optimizations Ultra Plus Better Path Tracing mod and it's worth checking out if you're after a few more frames. I tested the Ultra Faster variant which only reduces ray bounces from 2 to 1, changes nothing else, does a bunch of shit and it yielded upwards of 10% FPS increase, which in my test scene in Dog Town meant 5+ frames. The visual downgrade is particularly noticeable in highly lit scenes at night - in layman's terms it's as if light just travels less but it's still a capital improvement over RT Ultra because you can still clearly see that all light sources are affecting the entire scene. It's kinda like a dimmer, less vibrant version of the default PT, but it's still recognisably PT.

I'm gonna play with this some more, seems like it might be a promising compromise. Parts of DT were dipping my FPS down to the mid 40s in motion, so this might be worth it. Anyone know if there's a mod that changes Path Tracing settings just for Photomode?

EDIT: Scratch that, I got mixed up like a bellend and the above test results are for the other mod, fixed now. The Raytracing Overdrive Path Tracing Optimizations mod, at least its Ultra variant, has a barely noticeable visual degrade, but it also yields a very small performance increase, like 2, maybe 3 frames in my reference scene.

EDIT #deux: What the fuck?! Since I'd started, I decided to test the Ultra Plus etc. Full variant as well (it wasn't what I was after, I wanted performance) and it both looks better than the Fast preset and it runs better! My reference scene, static, went from 51FPS to hitting full 60 V-sync where the Fast preset was only 57, and the visual downgrade from vanilla is barely perceptible (in some details, it's actually better, the author wasn't lying). Even a quick test in motion didn't drop under 50. Was something in the lower Fast preset disagreeing with my GPU?

Anyway, check out the Ultra Plus mod, guys, and start with the Full preset, it looks like it might actually be free FPS.

Last edited:

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
I got scammed into buying Twitcher 3 as well as this in a sale.
Never buying a 'game' from these devs again.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
After finishing the game as a streetkid ninja/sniper stealth combo (obscene amount of possibilities and fun at lvl 60), started a new game as a netrunner monowire combo. I'm getting a lot more out of conversations and little details this time around.

In my head, my streetkid ends up becoming a nomad and leaving the city, and my corpo netrunner will end up becoming the anti corpo NC legend. I guess you can make the backstories work if you role play.

KeAShizuku

Novice
Strange I'm noticing bugs in 2.1 that weren't there in 1.6... Lots of NPC pathing issues.

Also why is autoloot never a standard option in videgames? I feel bad for console players who can't use mods.

GloriousSoftHat

Literate
It still blows my mind how disinterested I was in this game when it first released, to it now being genuinely one of my top games of all time.

I must admit I'm struggling a bit with the decision of whether I want to try and attempt as many endings as possible on one playthrough versus just doing multiple playthroughs...

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
It still blows my mind how disinterested I was in this game when it first released, to it now being genuinely one of my top games of all time.

I must admit I'm struggling a bit with the decision of whether I want to try and attempt as many endings as possible on one playthrough versus just doing multiple playthroughs...
You could farm the shitty endings with the end save game, it just puts you back in the world before meeting Hanako.

I'm finding that really difficult as it's entirely against the head canon and also I've read that some of them are rather depressing.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

You could farm the shitty endings with the end save game, it just puts you back in the world before meeting Hanako.

I'm finding that really difficult as it's entirely against the head canon and also I've read that some of them are rather depressing.

Yeah. Some of CP77's endings are depressing, gotta make sure you get the happy one by installing mods or something, I guess.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

They're all depressing, some are just a bit less depressing than others.

Gargaune

Arcane
Is there a mod that will mute all those miserable fucks from the loading screens? I found this, but it doesn't cover Phantom Liberty, just the base game.

Also, is there a mod that will automatically turn the radio off when I get out of the car?

Seriously, I keep spinning my wheels 'cause I'd like to play the expansion, but I'd like to do it "at its best"... which means I've gone down the modding rabbit hole again, and man, there's so much stupid shit that needs fixing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom