Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Trashos

Arcane
It's not like Avellone was Owlcat's lead writer. He wrote one companion, did some editing and called it a day.
His job was likely done even before the controversy.

There is a lot that reminds of Avellone's style in Kingmaker (and, funny enough, his companion is not one of them). So either the other writers are fans of his work or he had more input than advertised. Or both.
(examples: HATEOT and especially the companion scenes there, Nyrissa's dream also looks like an Avellonian idea, and all the companions are kinda Torment-y. I am stating an opinion here, of course, I do not know the facts).

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's not like Avellone was Owlcat's lead writer. He wrote one companion, did some editing and called it a day.
As I understand it, he also did a polish pass on a lot of their writing in P:KM, which would be difficult for him to have already completed for WoTR with it still in alpha.

There is a lot that reminds of Avellone's style in Kingmaker (and, funny enough, his companion is not one of them).

I thought Nok-Nok was pretty recognizably MCA. Subversion of racial expectation, sly humor, and depth if you dug for it, especially compared to a lot of the other companions' non-quest-centric dialogue when spoken to in the city/towns.

Codex Year of the Donut
So has Avellone been expunged from the industry entirely?

Still working with Owlcat on Pathfinder: WotR. Other than that, he's laying low.

My understanding is that he also left the development of Wrath of the Righteous.

Good. One less exposition-dump heavy, super special NPC character.
Nok-nok was one of the better written kingmaker characters.
He's a hero.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Still working with Owlcat on Pathfinder: WotR. Other than that, he's laying low.

My understanding is that he also left the development of Wrath of the Righteous.

He's a hero.

Wow... you immediately knew who I was talking about just by the description. And I didn't even drop the game title. Guess I'm right.

Codex Year of the Donut

He's a hero.

Wow... you immediately knew who I was talking about just by the description. And I didn't even drop the game title. Guess I'm right.
It's the only character written by Avellone afaik.
And he's not an "exposition-dump", he actually makes fun of those characters.
Atw7fsl.png

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

He's a hero.

It's the only character written by Avellone afaik.
And he's not an "exposition-dump", he actually makes fun of those characters.
Atw7fsl.png

Tell that to Kreia.

Avarize

Magister

He's a hero.

The topic was Pathfinder companions and Chris Avellone. He deduced you meant the only Pathfinder companion Avellone wrote. Miraculous.

Trashos

Arcane
I thought Nok-Nok was pretty recognizably MCA. Subversion of racial expectation, sly humor, and depth if you dug for it, especially compared to a lot of the other companions' non-quest-centric dialogue when spoken to in the city/towns.

He's a hero.

I like Nok-Nok, and, I can see that he has depth under the humor and his goblin ways. So in this sense he reminds me of Old World Blues a bit (humor on the surface, dark underneath). But Old World Blues is not what we usually expect from MCA, is it?

(With very few exceptions, I liked almost all the Kingmaker companions. From very good to awesome most of them, arguably unprecedented character development for a videogame.)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Eh... quite a bit men, especially young ones, would want to romance a slut, at least for some time, seeing her as an opportunity to taste every flavour of sex possible. Not to MARRY her, of course, that's when the proper young lasses come in.

Thotavia's best ending is when the PC gets her to embrace monogamy, dump the orc, and become a proper queen. The power fantasy of turning a ho into a housewife.

Avarize

Magister
Eh... quite a bit men, especially young ones, would want to romance a slut, at least for some time, seeing her as an opportunity to taste every flavour of sex possible. Not to MARRY her, of course, that's when the proper young lasses come in.

Thotavia's best ending is when the PC gets her to embrace monogamy, dump the orc, and become a proper queen. The power fantasy of turning a ho into a housewife.
Sounds like I shouldn't just ignore her on my next playthrough like I've done before.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Sounds like I shouldn't just ignore her on my next playthrough like I've done before.

I still wish they would've added an option to just have a straight-up harem.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Added?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Added?

Two tiefling sisters do not equate a harem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom