Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
He could write the greatest RPG of all times then dare those soy faggots to ignore it 'cause believe wahmen lmao.

Nah i'm kidding ain't gonna happen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is he really a multimillionaire? I don't think videogame writer/designer is such a well-paid profession, specially in his heyday(90s and 2000s).
Yes. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be able to afford three different lawyers and would have been evicted from his apartment already. Guy hasn't worked in over two years.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is he really a multimillionaire? I don't think videogame writer/designer is such a well-paid profession, specially in his heyday(90s and 2000s).
Yes. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be able to afford three different lawyers and would have been evicted from his apartment already. Guy hasn't worked in over two years.
what if he used to be a millionaire, but is currently running on fumes?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
what if he used to be a millionaire, but is currently running on fumes?
If that were the case, I imagine he'd be taking drastic measures (moving out of California, no longer subsidizing his wife's expensive vacations and luxury apartment).

Jrpgfan

Erudite
so is MCA going to get into fiction writing? I remember him saying "it's too haaaard, nah", but his videogame comeback is basically dead in the water and he has all the free-time in the world as a multi millionaire. it's not like he's some geezer yet.

He was a co-founder in Obsidian aswell and probably had a share of the profits.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lost it on exit. He could only cash out if he agreed to never criticize the company, and to never work on RPGs.
That was related to shares held, but have nothing to do with any distributions he may have received in prior years as compensation.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Lost it on exit. He could only cash out if he agreed to never criticize the company, and to never work on RPGs.
That was related to shares held, but have nothing to do with any distributions he may have received in prior years as compensation.
Granted.

As an low-tier owner, I'm not so sure he had a share of profits, but maybe he did. If he did talk about it, I forgot.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Granted.
As an low-tier owner, I'm not so sure he had a share of profits, but maybe he did. If he did talk about it, I forgot.
wasn't the entire point of May of rage that Feargus was swindling him (and others)?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The co-owners of Obsidian cashed out when the company was purchased by Microsoft, which occurred well after Chris Avellone had been unceremoniously "de-ownered" upon exiting the company, since he refused to sign a draconian NDA / non-compete agreement insisted upon by Feargus Urquhart. It's not impossible that some money would have been distributed while Avellone was still with Obsidian, but the co-owners compensated themselves with highly-paid positions within the company, and other funds would have been in short supply since Obsidian always struggled to keep afloat.

Chris Avellone does seem to have amassed considerable wealth, however, from his years as an employee of Interplay and Obsidian, considerably supplemented by his freelance writing as a coveted human stretch goal for a variety of computer games.

:drink:

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
so is MCA going to get into fiction writing? I remember him saying "it's too haaaard, nah", but his videogame comeback is basically dead in the water and he has all the free-time in the world as a multi millionaire. it's not like he's some geezer yet.
The sex offender reputation extends beyond the videogame circles, what makes you think he'd be able to publish his fiction?
Even normies have doubts about the allegations. He might not be cancelled permanently.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Just come back, Chris.
We need you, bro.
:negative:

Sue that bitch into Oblivion. Let there be justice. You can't just accuse someone without serious evidence. What is this? Sweden? Over there, you are gonna get rape charges for just looking at a bitch funny...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
How old is his wife? Why no kids?

Did the soy make him infertile or something.
She's 30 and doesn't seem like the "having kids" type. I imagine Chris is one of those "my stories are my kids" types.
They're not usually in the same state and if she suddenly had kids, she'd be less likely to be able to take him for whatever he has left. So, y'know. The usual marital bliss.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I am legitimately surprised he doesn't have kids.
How could a stud like him not find a woman to carry his progeny?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom