Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone Sugarbombed Interview, Part Two

hpstg

Savant
He quit.

Though other Obsidian employees get their Developer tag replaced with "Obsidian VIP" and are able to post normally after doing so. Apparently Chris is too much of a loose cannon to be trusted.
"NO FUCK YOU!"

saturn

Novice
Do we know if he left voluntarily or was fired at this point?

He quit.

Though other Obsidian employees get their Developer tag replaced with "Obsidian VIP" and are able to post normally after doing so. Apparently Chris is too much of a loose cannon to be trusted.

Do you have some examples of other Osbidian employees who quit and are now 'Obsidian VIP's?

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

jaydee2k

Savant
He's creeping deep into the companys ass which buried Fallout.
Oh MCA you are totally lost. I doubt he will ever do something meaningfull
"rpg" wise again.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
He's creeping deep into the companys ass which buried Fallout.
Oh MCA you are totally lost. I doubt he will ever do something meaningfull
"rpg" wise again.

Yes MCA IS DEAD. AMERICAN DREAM IS DEAD. ALL IS LOST. WE ARE DOOMED. :mrpresident:
Drama queen much?
Listen kid or IT guy (anyway EQ is the same). In real life you have to kiss ass of your superiors or you will never make it. You like or not but Beth is the TOP DOG and runs the show, thus being in good graces with them is a necessity as nobody sane dreamed while being young that: "I will have to kiss ass to make a living".

That being said, saying that MCA is done as writer (for which we love him the most), (not designer!) is beyond retarded, just because he says few good things about Beth. He probably carries cologne and uses it as a mouth wash after such speeches.

Last edited:

jaydee2k

Savant
When he will work for Bethestards in the future theres now way he could write some quality stories/dialogues or whatsoever for them.
They are just not needed.
Look at the release record of that "rpg" masters. There is NO writing and dipshit casuals love it that way...

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
MCA would increase level of Beth writing. Period. Do I look forward seeing him there?
No.
Would it do any good for casuals or overal level of the game?
Well, some people might enjoy it more at a trivial cost to Beth.
Anyway, it doesn't contradict what I said...

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
MCA would increase level of Beth writing. Period.

What it is the use of good writing in a Fallout game without skill checks and without C&C? Who cares about good writing in a game with retarded combat system and Popamole handholding that makes everything written looks implausible? Since when improving the writing of Bethesda games is something commendable? This is a low bar. I get the impression that every modder could improve Bethesda writing or that they could improve their own writing if they choose to do so.

jaydee2k

Savant
MCA would increase level of Beth writing. Period.

What it is the use of good writing in a Fallout game without skill checks and without C&C? Who cares about good writing in a game with retarded combat system and Popamole handholding that makes everything written looks implausible? Since when improving the writing of Bethesda games is something commendable? This is a low bar. I get the impression that every modder could improve Bethesda writing or that they could improve their own writing if they choose to do so.

That's right. You don't need some quality writing when the possible answer in every dialogue is four times yes...
I don't seeing them heading another route after all that sweet cash they made with releasing such a turd.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Casuals don’t know who Avellone is. Casuals don’t care about writing. Casuals hate skill checks (see F:NV criticisms) and they don’t understand what is C&C because they want trash mobs to kill. What some people here need to understand is that it is not enough to have Chris Avellone in order to make a good cRPG. Either you need him working with other talented people in an interesting project (FO2, MotB) or you need to give him more control and time to attach the gameplay to the writing (PS:T). The likes of PoE and W2 reminds us that Avellone participation doesn’t amount to much without these conditions.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Causals don’t know who Avellone is. Causals don’t care about writing. Causals hate skill checks (see F:NV criticisms) and they don’t understand what is C&C because they want trash mobs to kill. What some people here need to understand is that it is not enough to have Chris Avellone in order to make a good cRPG. Either you need him working with other talented people in an interesting project (FO2, MotB) or you need to give him more control and time to attach the gameplay to the writing (PS:T). The likes of PoE and W2 reminds us that Avellone participation doesn’t amount to much without these conditions.

Bullshit. New vegas iirc had better reception even with casuals than FO4 storywise. Nobody is saying, that MCA guarantees a good or even decent game, but it could improve writing. You know the part about Bubba Flavel wasn't a compliment...

Last edited:

jaydee2k

Savant
Causals don’t know who Avellone is. Causals don’t care about writing. Causals hate skill checks (see F:NV criticisms) and they don’t understand what is C&C because they want trash mobs to kill. What some people here need to understand is that it is not enough to have Chris Avellone in order to make a good cRPG. Either you need him working with other talented people in an interesting project (FO2, MotB) or you need to give him more control and time to attach the gameplay to the writing (PS:T). The likes of PoE and W2 reminds us that Avellone participation doesn’t amount to much without these conditions.

Bullshit. New vegas iirc had better reception even with casuals than FO4 storywise. Nobody is saying, that MCA quarantees a good or even decent game, but it could improve writing. You know the part about Bubba Flavel wasn't a compliment...

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3u98cn/fallout_4_vs_fallout_new_vegas_which_game_did_you/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22300/?snr=1_5_9__300
The better reception is quite mixed.
Casuals love Beth

This is the best Fallout ever! Fallout 3 is the ♥♥♥♥ man! It's way better than Fallout 4 and better than New Vagas and the other two. It is fun and addictive and I have even played it in a public airplane! (I may or may not have been told to turn the game off by a flight attendent.) When I play this game, my savage level, is off the ♥♥♥♥ing roof! This game may not be optimised for Windows 7 and up, but you can optimise it by watching a how to video on YouTube.
This game is not just The elder scrolls with guns. Fallout 3 is a very easy game to immerse yourself into. I even find it difficult to be an evil character because of all the hard choices you can make in this game. Decisions can effect this game greatly for example there is a choice to blow up a town with a nuke. Karma is truly a b*tch in this game. It also does a good job at giving you that 1950's vibe. And especially the post-apocalyptic survivalist feeling. The exploration in the game is amazing with so many places to explore I have played this game for over 4 years and I dont think I have even covered the entire Capital Wasteland. The graphics could be better and there are a few bugs here and there but overall this game is completely worth buying you will not be disappointed. And remember "War. War Never Changes."

:mixedemotions:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Bullshit. New vegas iirc had better reception even with casuals than FO4 storywise. Nobody is saying, that MCA quarantees a good or even decent game, but it could improve writing. You know the part about Bubba Flavel wasn't a compliment...

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3u98cn/fallout_4_vs_fallout_new_vegas_which_game_did_you/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22300/?snr=1_5_9__300
The better reception is quite mixed.
Casuals love Beth

This is the best Fallout ever! Fallout 3 is the ♥♥♥♥ man! It's way better than Fallout 4 and better than New Vagas and the other two. It is fun and addictive and I have even played it in a public airplane! (I may or may not have been told to turn the game off by a flight attendent.) When I play this game, my savage level, is off the ♥♥♥♥ing roof! This game may not be optimised for Windows 7 and up, but you can optimise it by watching a how to video on YouTube.

What you are posting now is called anecdotes. Look "User Score".
upload_2016-11-22_12-34-8.png

upload_2016-11-22_12-34-25.png

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

The causals are not complaining about the lack of reacitivity or skill checks. They also think that FO3 is better than FNV. Would you say that this proves that FO3 has better writing than NV? Of course not. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Why I hate "Fallout: New Vegas"

In Fallout 3 you watch as you are born, and your dad, voiced by Liam Neeson, raises you. When he disappears from your vault you go after him and discover he's on a mission that might just save the world. Again, hell of a hook, and with Liam Neeson as your dad you're emotionally invested from the first moment.

In New Vegas you start the game as a delivery boy, and you watch as some dandy-cowboy dude shoots you in the head. Then you wake up and a friendly doctor (incredibly well-voiced by the XO from Battlestar, and one of only three characters I actually liked) patches you up. And, then, uh... you... kind of... wander around.

(...)

Meanwhile, you really can't find people any other way, because there are hundreds of people in this game, and no provision for finding them. Shopkeepers, quest-givers, people who said interesting things. They all blur together, because there's so many of them, but they're all disposable. If they didn't give you a quest, there's no reason to think of them again. If they did, it'll light up on your map.

(...)

It's also not fun doing quests for people of dubious morality. Sure, this may be more like real life, but it isn't "fun." I did several missions for a fascist government agent before she revealed herself by asking me to do something horrible. I'm like, uh, no thanks, and THANK YOU game designers for making me spend all that time on a person who sucked.

That is how dumb causal gamers are. If you care to inquiry google, you will find gems such as these:

I'm finally admitting that Fallout New Vegas sucks and 3 is better

I feel like complaining... List of things I hate in Fallout: New Vegas

Why I hate Fallout: New Vegas (A giant rant)

Why I believe Fallout 3 is better than Fallout: New Vegas

I am playing Fallout 3 because New Vegas sucks. How about you?

I could literally spent the whole day collecting quotes from causals saying idiotic stuff about F:NV. Whatever is that makes some causals criticize FO4 is not something that would be corrected by Avellone.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
That's called fucking anecdotes. They are meaningless on the grand scale of things. It's the average that matters.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
What you are posting now is called anecdotes. Look "User Score".
View attachment 7567
View attachment 7568

Calling fans reactions anecdotes is really stupid because the negative reviews that impact user score in metacritic are entirely composed of anecdotes and we know that angry posters can distort the system, make fake accounts, etc. However, let's see. FO3 also has mongoloid writing and had a better reception than New Vegas and FO4 on the journos part, which is what matters the most.

1pBQ1LH.png

Also, FO4 sold so much more, for instance, FN:V passed the five million sales threshold in a matter of weeks while FO4 sold 12 million copies and generated over $750 million in its first 24 hours. I can throw numbers all day. If what is scientific is numbers, FO4 numbers are better. The reality is that they made more money than with the previous games. Causals are not informed consumers. If the marketing is right and the game has stuff to kill, they will keep buying. Bethesda will keep making more money than ever, with angry reviews or not.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can't deny Bethesda's marketing acumen. (...) Without the marketing these games would be received on the same level as any other buggy, ugly RPG.

Give them some credit. It is not just marketing. They also did some empirical research regarding causals' preferences.
Market research is a part of marketing. What you call here marketing is probably more adeptly called marketing communication or simply promotion.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
That's how statisticians call one person's story or opionion. It's a fucking anecdote means that's just meaningless on the grand scale...

You are missing the point. The conclusion that you infer from the data is composed solely of anedctoes, i.e., personal reviews. I can easily make three hundred positive reviews with fake accounts and change the user score. That is how scientific and trustworthy it is. In fact, I made a negative review just out of spite and I don't even own the game. I never played it. If you think these numbers are measuring the way people feel, you are dreaming.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's called fucking anecdotes. They are meaningless on the grand scale of things. It's the average that matters.
To nitpick, it's the distribution of grades that is more informative than the simple average. You should always look at histogram if available.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
To nitpick, it's the distribution of grades that is more informative than the simple average. You should always look at histogram if available.
DA fuck it has to do with random rants found on the internet... I mean it's pointless to even have a deeper conversation if we cannot establish the basic facts. There always better tools for doing stuff...

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
DA fuck it has to do with random rants found on the internet...
I just simply pointed out that it is more useful to look at review score distribution, be it user metascore, Amazon review average or tripadvisor for that matter.

You can have two games with both average 5/10, one with half grades 10 and half zeroes and the other game with ones half grade 4s and the other half 6s. Clearly the distribution is more informative of the reception of the games than just the simple average.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom