Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Nirvash

Liturgist
Is actually nice for a few games, but there is little replayability and ai is garbage as usual.

Cael

Arcane
Okay people, I don't say this lightly but... The game does seem pretty okay now. The changes to production really helped with the flow. The AI is still questionable with its buildings and the game still looks like a mess, especially when you have a lot of units built but diplomacy is less psychotic for sure.
How is the AI doing in warfare now? I played it vanilla and with the AI+ mod and except some seldom bursts of intelligence, the AI was a total letdown. All empires are falling like dominos once you move in a sizable army and take the first two cities.
Let me put it this way: I started an early war against Nubia and the AI had real trouble taking back its cities because their UU is an archer. They kept shooting the cities down to 0 health but had no melee units to actually take them.
Lol! That is pretty funny :D

flyingjohn

Arcane
Okay people, I don't say this lightly but... The game does seem pretty okay now. The changes to production really helped with the flow. The AI is still questionable with its buildings and the game still looks like a mess, especially when you have a lot of units built but diplomacy is less psychotic for sure.
How is the AI doing in warfare now? I played it vanilla and with the AI+ mod and except some seldom bursts of intelligence, the AI was a total letdown. All empires are falling like dominos once you move in a sizable army and take the first two cities.
Let me put it this way: I started an early war against Nubia and the AI had real trouble taking back its cities because their UU is an archer. They kept shooting the cities down to 0 health but had no melee units to actually take them.
And even if the ai brings a melee unit,it will just suicide into your city or be stuck behind archers.Almost all ai mods for civ v (minus vox) have that problem.
It is just a fundamental issue of civ 1-4 having stacks and not having to worry about ai positioning.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Some "lovely" news about the future of the series.

"
Both of these changes would fall into a camp of feature that I've tried to avoid with all of my work on Civ 6: they would be features that do absolutely nothing when used on a human player.

This is something I avoid for two reasons: 1, the obvious multiplayer implications of the game containing features that simply don't apply in that context. 2, the fact that it gives the player more tools than the AI has.

Your comment about Civ being singleplayer, with multiplayer slapped on top, is sadly kind of true. But it's something that we're trying to shy away from: we want multiplayer Civ to be as well-supported as singleplayer Civ. This is why more concrete effects have been added to systems that in base game were only for manipulating the AI: diplomatic visibility now affecting combat, alliances now having strong in-game effects beyond locking in your diplomatic state with the AI, etc.

And, for point 2, we're very aware of the feedback that we're constantly receiving about the level of play of the AI. A lot of people look fondly back on the difficulty of the AI in games prior to Civ 5, but with 5 and 6, we made a change to have the AI actually play the same game as the human player. Previously, the game would just magically grant units and techs and such to the AI players in order to keep them competitive. Now, we may sneak the AIs extra yields or have them start on better footing, but they're not then cheating with those resources.

This does however mean that the AI is having a harder time playing the game, because it's really difficult to make an AI that plays well enough (and poorly enough) for the range of people who want to play against it. This gets worse when systems are added to the game that exist solely for the player to exploit.

This is why I settled on the system coming in with the next patch: all players get to see what other players voted on last time Congress voted on this Resolution. It's data that anyone can use (granted that data is more useful against an AI than a human player, as the AI are more likely to vote the same way again), and it doesn't require players making and keeping promises of "I'm going to vote on this next Congress".

Incidentally, that last point is part of why the oft-requested "let me barter with other players to get them to vote the way I want" isn't being implemented (and is instead covered conceptually by trading Favor).

Thanks for the feedback!"

Basically they are scrapping features(ability to spy on ai voting) because of multiplayer balance. And they are looking to make future civ games even more multiplayer focused,meaning even less fun stuff to do because of muh balance

Also,their definition of acting like a human seems to be declaring war on the strongest enemy without a army because he didn't build boats,i have no words.

exe

Augur
Only the biggest autist play 8h+ multiplayer civ games, are they high? First they casualize the game, then turn around and decide: actually we design now for the 1% mp autists. Way to make no one happy.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Considering the (lack of) AI in the recent Civ's, they should just abandon single-player Civ and make it a multiplayer game instead.
At least it'll save them time now lost pretending to work on an AI that knows how not to have its military commit suicide 1UPT.

I'm a huge Civ fan (hence my pic!) but I'm well beyond the point of hoping for a good successor.

Cael

Arcane
Considering the (lack of) AI in the recent Civ's, they should just abandon single-player Civ and make it a multiplayer game instead.
At least it'll save them time now lost pretending to work on an AI that knows how not to have its military commit suicide 1UPT.

I'm a huge Civ fan (hence my pic!) but I'm well beyond the point of hoping for a good successor.
I stopped caring when 5 came out. Piece of shit nonsense that is nothing like Civ.

Beastro

Arcane
Civ is a good example of why copyrights should expire in a matter of years rather than centuries. Rather than one behemoth pandering to the lowest common denominator, you would likely have smaller companies each carving their own niche and trying different approaches. There would be alternatives to the 1UPT approach.

As it stands, copyrights last for author's lifetime + 70 years in most of the world, or 95 years for corporations in the US. Copyrights in the artistic realm seem to do more to stifle creativity than promote it. Civ competitors are unlikely as long as Firaxis controls the biggest brand name.

A Call to Power wasn't great but it did force Microprose to release Test of Time, which I consider to be the best Civ game of the lot as an improved CivII with the side campaigns to mess around with (Which also laid the ground work for SMAC as it's in one campaign mode in a very rough state).

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
First I've read the patch notes and I've thought that this regime was a bit of an alpha centauri homage - y'know, how things were on earth before the ship has landed. But this fucking art, man, this fucking art...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The new Halicarnassus is... interesting.
FE46z5O.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Civilization looter shooter next. Firaxis has become a fucking joke.
They were a joke for a long time. They just release the same fucking outdated game with better graphics and a few small changes. They are one of the reasons why the 4X genre hasn't improved at all in the past decade or even two. At this point all the fucking 4X games are the same shit with different colouring. It is a stagnation at its highest level.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The new Halicarnassus is... interesting.

Nah. You've gotten yourself a grand total of +5 culture, +5 science, +5 faith at the cost of working rather shitty tiles. I see what, 12 industry? Lol.

It's still a decent wonder but only because of the engineer charges. That shit is for the reddit bragging and that's that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom