Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is one of those videos where i disagree with Civvie, starting practically from practically the beginning where he says the Raven games are better - personally i find Jedi Knight to be the best in the series. Then the controls, while sure you need to rebind them to something more comfortable, i find the way weight feels and jumping works to feel great. The levels' verticality, especially in the first areas are fucking great and the elevator he is complaining about is one of the earliest "puzzles" (not sure you can call it that but it involves more than just shooting stuff), has some minor secrets accessible from it and really shows to the player that yes there are rooms, over rooms, over rooms and we're not in Doom-like constrained 2D spaces anymore, this isn't 3D just because of the models we're fucking getting advantage of the new tech for the actual gameplay. And really he seems to be disliking the level layouts, etc which is 100% opposite to my take as the levels are basically the major reason i like Jedi Knight so much.

Though i guess it is a good thing he didn't play the expansion as that basically doubled down on everything he disliked.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Outcast's lightsaber is great, much better than the funny glowsticks in Dark Forces 2, but the rest of the game is literally just consoletard FPS before it was cool. Walk down corridor while ‘shooting’ some guys - except said shooting is the worst evar. Shots have no impact, everything looks like a high-poly model pack, environments are all the same, everything is boring. Meanwhile in DF2 everything is unique and interesting, even if it isn't perfect, and more importantly, it actually has guns that feel like they hit things.

toughasnails

Neither game is among my favorites and was ages since I have played either but it must be said that the early levels in Jedi Outcast are garbage.. Before you get your lightsaber back and even the early on after you get it when you still have to rely on guns which are indeed awful. Add to that some BS level design and enemy placements. It's a p annoying game, hard for all the wrong reasons.

A horse of course

I'd kinda like to do a video on Jedi Knight one day, but it'd get copyright striked (a real strike that can shut down your channel, not a copyright claim that merely disables monetization) the second a blaster sound or 6 seconds of music are played.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yet again, Civvie's assessment is correct. DF2 is a bitch, easily outclassed by JO/JK.

Wrong.

Jedi Knight's level design is among the best ever created for a shooter ever., and that put's it squarely above the sequels. Jedi Outcast and it's sequel were totally mediocre single player games (not bad, not great either). The only highlight of those games was the multiplayer and Raven managed to fuck that up somehow by trying to fix what wasn't broken.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'd kinda like to do a video on Jedi Knight one day, but it'd get copyright striked (a real strike that can shut down your channel, not a copyright claim that merely disables monetization) the second a blaster sound or 6 seconds of music are played.

Fair use is dead i guess huh.

Caim

Arcane
Civvie mentioned that speedrunning this game with the music on will get you a list of audio claims so long it can be confused for a Star Wars opening crawl.

A horse of course

Fair use is dead i guess huh.

Youtube puts the onus entirely on the users. Their corporate partners can make as many false claims as they want and nothing will happen.

Riskbreaker

I'd have to replay both DF2 and Jedi Outcast at some point.
I do think that the opening portions of Jedi Outcast made me rage more than the whole of DF2. Hilariously, it was the first lightsaber stage more than anything. You're finally given your chief toy and then, either the encounters aren't tailored to its use or, where they seem to be (that opening bar brawl) you feel as if you're punished for using it and are better off shooting shit from behind corners. Oh, and then there's you being sniped at from who knows where, with excessive precision of course.
It was rough for sure.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This is one of those videos where i disagree with Civvie, starting practically from practically the beginning where he says the Raven games are better - personally i find Jedi Knight to be the best in the series. Then the controls, while sure you need to rebind them to something more comfortable, i find the way weight feels and jumping works to feel great. The levels' verticality, especially in the first areas are fucking great and the elevator he is complaining about is one of the earliest "puzzles" (not sure you can call it that but it involves more than just shooting stuff), has some minor secrets accessible from it and really shows to the player that yes there are rooms, over rooms, over rooms and we're not in Doom-like constrained 2D spaces anymore, this isn't 3D just because of the models we're fucking getting advantage of the new tech for the actual gameplay. And really he seems to be disliking the level layouts, etc which is 100% opposite to my take as the levels are basically the major reason i like Jedi Knight so much.
Agreed, its that use of verticality that makes the game so great. Its one of the few video games that manages to do scale so well. To think the game did it with, what as low as 16 MB of RAM? Some of those outdoor sections are a bit empty, but there's just something so cool about gradually getting to a tall building, getting inside it, and then looking down from the top. And the secrets, so many clever secrets. Plus since you got a force point for getting all of them there was more reason to do it than with your average game.
While I like both games I have to think there are a lot more issues with Jedi Outcast. Last couple of times I played Outcast the mouse aim was borked, I seem to remember that one puzzle with the hovercraft in the first section being garbage. And while the lightsaber combat is better, blocking shots with one is significantly worse in Outcast. Kyle's journey towards being a jedi also feels kind of lame there, it just sort of happens, even if its got a story reason.

Riskbreaker

I recall playing the demo of that some time ago, 'twas pretty meh. Bland environments, OKish shooting, some prosperous modeling on those alien lizards or whatever they are supposed to be. And then it turns out the whole thing is some 2 hours long and the environments you'll see in the demo - generic techbase - are what you'll be seeing till the end. So it's really like a worse Quake 2 rather than Chasm, outside some weapon designs and those scorpion enemies. Or you could say that it was like Chasm's own Quake 2-like sequel.

toughasnails

Whenever he dried to branch out, that resulted in less views and whining from his fans.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
He's really going to milk every fps shovelware title for clicks, huh?

That's his niche, what else is he supposed to do?
He could just play other types of games. He tried it with WarioLand as an April's Fools and the episode was okay.
Hell, if he did more creative ones like the Hellraiser one I'd watch him more. I don't think he's even that good at FPS games to warrant this niche.

toughasnails

The game itself doesn't really look half bad. The biggest issue is its short length and the price considering the content you'd get from some other boomer shooters in its price range.

Wunderbar

Arcane
This game was made by russians from Half-Life modding scene. Previously they did HL Retribution, HLFX (graphicswhore mod with dynamic lighting and shader water) and later Xash engine (sort of Goldsrc source port).

A shame that Perilous Warp ended up being so lackluster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom