Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civvie thread (classic FPS reviews/commentary on youtube)

Riskbreaker

Overdone postprocessing effects don't help either. It's bloom, ambient light and who knows what else thrown on top what's already a mess of pixels. Like someone aesthetically impaired going crazy with Reshade.

Now from what I seen the waking world/assylum sections look nice and clean, so he isn't incapable of making something digestible with low polycounts and pixely texturing. But that's a hub portion which accounts for what, less than 1% percent of playtime. Everything else is optical diarrhea.

Drop Duck

Learned
Nightmare Reaper has left early access. A roguelite pixelated shooter that he's talked about before, and it's finished now. Game's 15% off for the rest of the week on Steam. Will probably not play this myself.

I don't like civvie, he's too much of an edgelord memester for me but this is the only thread where the game is talked about and I don't want to make a new one for a game that almost nobody here plays.

I've been playing it for a bit now and it's terrible. The messy graphics looking like a parody of how modders turn up the contrast, making everything shiny and looking like plastic until the game looks like someone vomited on your screen. The game has roguelite mechanics with random levels, the entire point of first person shooters is the level design. There's Diablo itemization with garbage stat variables that don't result in much real difference, just like in Borderlands. There's also awful minigames you have to play to upgrade your character and formulaic loot rooms with awful platforming. So this game is a dumpsterfire, but I can't stop playing it. Despite how bad it all is the game is addictive. Somehow a lootershooter that looks like Wolfenstein 3D with a randomizer and a lighting mod with bump mapping and an ENB running in the background works.

toughasnails

It definitely looks like something you would see in a Wolfensten 3D TC at least as far as the weapon and enemy sprite resolution and animations go. I can't fault the dev too much given that number of different weapon types is one of selling points, imagine doing detailed spritework for all that all by yourself.
Sadly though the whole game seems to be quantity over quality sort of thing.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoy playing the game even though I'm not big into randomized content and everything looks like colorful vomit being spewed onto your screen.

For some reason, it's fun. Good mindless shooting, just hop into a level and pew pew pew for a couple minutes.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
really? this visual vomit can have performance dips? I know some developers get into game development with no understanding of basics like properly handled memory allocations but come on.

Yes, performance in this game isn't very good. Probably because it runs on the latest Unreal Engine and overuses a ton of visual effects (that the game would look vastly better without).

Riskbreaker

really? this visual vomit can have performance dips? I know some developers get into game development with no understanding of basics like properly handled memory allocations but come on.

Yes, performance in this game isn't very good. Probably because it runs on the latest Unreal Engine and overuses a ton of visual effects (that the game would look vastly better without).
So I take it that those effects can't be disabled?
Prodeus, a game I otherwise enjoyed, did something like that where there's a fair bit of visual noise (chromatic aberration, vignette etc) that can't be disabled. Don't know if they changed that in some recent update for it's been a while since I've played it last. People have been complaining about that crap since the playtest they ran prior to early access but such complaints were consistently ignored.

You can customize blood and gore, post processing, decorations, visual effects, fog, lens flare, motion blur, head bob, weapon sway, saturation, color preset (from "black-and-white" to "clown vomit"). I'm gonna play a level trying to set it to be as "clean" as I can.

Ok. Apart from the dynamic shadows and post processing hitting performance, I don't notice the settings making that much of a difference on the visual pollution aspect. In fact while I fiddled with the options I forgot which ones were active and had to check.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
With its attention to detail I'd almost say that Duke Nukem with a smaller scale but intense focus ala Yakuza could work, if they can find a way to work the more traditional levels in somehow.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I like taste of americajank, quite refreshing in comparison to eurojank and slavjank...

It's only that janky because it wasn't even close to an alpha version when development was stopped.

I don't even think there's enough here for modder to turn it into a game.

I don't think modders could turn it into a game even if it was complete. Because, you know.

Caim

Arcane
I like taste of americajank, quite refreshing in comparison to eurojank and slavjank...

It's only that janky because it wasn't even close to an alpha version when development was stopped.

I don't even think there's enough here for modder to turn it into a game.

I don't think modders could turn it into a game even if it was complete. Because, you know.

They did make it into a game. But that game was Duke Nukem Forever.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Those weapon models and animations are delicious. Should steal those at least.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Man that leak oozes so much personality (and the bit with the zombie was actually funny). Fucking you 3D Realms for fucking this up.

Last edited:

Caim

Arcane
Yeah, a boomer shooter roundup. Some new stuff, second episode of Slav Quake, Apogee making their return as a publisher, another rhythym game, a GoldenEye inspired game and people doing sorcery with GZ DOOM.

Next time: Postal: Braind Damage.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another Postal video

Hope it's better than Postal 4

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom