Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
They reduced manpower pool for retinue.
I loaded up my latin game and my retinue manpower usage pool is 240k over 40k.
That's just not right man.

Tigranes

Arcane
Well, Rurik's Kingdom dissolved nearly as fast as it rose. The first game over I've had in a while.

In 37 years Rurik I conquered a large swath of Rus and crowned himself King, leaving it finally to the elder Saemundr I. Not particularly incompetent, but beset by forever discontent vassals, he spent literally all of his 24-year reign stomping on rebels and, to his credit, not letting any get away. The problem was succession; two sons dead early, three daughters, an old pneumonic wife that just wouldn't die. (I didn't realise you could divorce freely as a pagan, and forgot entirely about concubines...) Thus Queen Bothildr I ascends to the throne under widespread protest, and within months, her uncle, Thorsteinn (the third son of Rurik) declares war. Just about the entire realm sides with the hairy man they know than the hairy woman they don't, and Bothildr is deposed and thrown into jail.

SZCaoOZ.jpg

After just 18 months on the throne, Bothildr, now the chief of one-province Holmgardr, watches us Thorsteinn unveils his statecraft. Following in Saemundr's footsteps, this mainly involves a decade of rebelstomping, except he can't handle it quite as well; the red lines are the border in Saemundr's reign, and everything you see there has pretty much been given independence. Bothildr had to rot for years, Thorsteinn refusing all calls for leniency. Eventually, she escapes with a lucky piece of rope and rides back to Rurik's heartland of Holmgardr, Thorsteinn too busy to bother with her escape. This screenshot is a year after her escape, when she uses her pent-up cash (mostly from her short reign as Queen) to splurge on mercenaries and conquer nearby counties.

cGEjvHE.jpg

Indeed, it takes Bothildr just three years to show she may not have been such a bad queen; her merc-powered army takes over just about the entire de jure duchy of Holmgardr (red lines). Meanwhile, Thorsteinn succumbs to death at 50 years, clearly never up to the job. Bothildr, however, has two problems. One, the southern kingdoms of Kiev and the Dregovichi have invaded the Kingdom, the latter with a Subjugation casus belli on the entire territory. Two, back when Saemundr's sons were alive Bothildr had been married off to the prince of Sweden, meaning she has a son and two daughters that are not Rurikovich! You can see that she divorced him as soon as she was out of jail, but a new matrilineal union has only begotten a daughter thus far.

y06wHvl.jpg

Eskild Oddrson, her son, stands to inherit everything she has won the last few years, leaving her line of Rurikovich extinct; he was severely maimed in a childhood accident, yet persists defying all odds. Meanwhile, the Dregovichi are running rampant over the Kingdom of Rurik, running up the warscore...

jtV7HfI.jpg

...and Frirek I, son of Thorsteinn, must cede the capital of Vyazma to a foreigner, turning to none other than Bothildr's Holmgardr! This is a heavy blow, since Rurik and Saemundr had invested much resources in that castle. Meanwhile, the young king refuses to raise a finger against the Dregovichi menace, probably unable to muster any significant number of troops after over twenty years of continuous civil war. Bothildr can only hope that she will survive the regime change. Now nearing 50 years of age, there is little hope of siring a son; she now takes to saving every penny she can find, hoping to fund an assassination attempt on her own son...

Zlk6ZNV.jpg

...but it is too late. At a feast, she is poisoned. It must be him. He must have known. If only Thorsteinn had not rebelled. If only I had not spent my entire treasury on mercenaries to defend the Kingdom, but spent it on murdering my own son. If only...

Barely three years after Bothildr's death, the Dregovichi raise their flag over Holmgardr, deposing the young Frirek. The sons of Rurik thus fade into history, and the Kingdom lasted hardly a century.

My kingdom for a competent assassin. Or at least one who will only demand half payment up-front.

I swear if there were an assassin's guild represented in the game their leader would make the pope look like a pauper.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
EDIT: And yes, if anyone knows how the clothes are decided, I would appreciate a quick how-to in changing them.

You can easily pick and choose in the internal files. Just check out any portrait pack and you see which ones. It is however a bitch to port this shit for each patch as they tend to toss around cultures and so on.
A bit more specific with the instructions please. Never done modding with this stuff in CK2 yet.

It's not too difficult, but is very time consuming. Go to the ck2/interface folder and look at all the text files with 'portrait' in them. They regulate stuff like hair color, clothing and background. The graphics can be found in the gfx folder and the extra DLC stuff in the dlc files. You can edit the dds files with GIMP (with added dds module) and the rest in any decent graphical program.

If for instance you want to add all sorts of clothes to western males just edit /interface/portraits.gfx and copy lines regarding clothing from other cultures to the western male part.

Best is to download any of the portrait packs around and look at the file structure and changes made to the interface files to learn the what and how.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So this is on sale right now. Is the dlc pack worth it, or should I just buy the main game?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So this is on sale right now. Is the dlc pack worth it, or should I just buy the main game?

Buy the main game.
I don't see why you need the DLC if you haven't even experienced the original content.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
EDIT: And yes, if anyone knows how the clothes are decided, I would appreciate a quick how-to in changing them.

You can easily pick and choose in the internal files. Just check out any portrait pack and you see which ones. It is however a bitch to port this shit for each patch as they tend to toss around cultures and so on.
A bit more specific with the instructions please. Never done modding with this stuff in CK2 yet.

It's not too difficult, but is very time consuming. Go to the ck2/interface folder and look at all the text files with 'portrait' in them. They regulate stuff like hair color, clothing and background. The graphics can be found in the gfx folder and the extra DLC stuff in the dlc files. You can edit the dds files with GIMP (with added dds module) and the rest in any decent graphical program.

If for instance you want to add all sorts of clothes to western males just edit /interface/portraits.gfx and copy lines regarding clothing from other cultures to the western male part.

Best is to download any of the portrait packs around and look at the file structure and changes made to the interface files to learn the what and how.
Ultimately it was 100x easier to just open up the culture file and change the various types of use either norsegfx (Finnish, Estonians, Lappish) or easterslavicgfx (every other Finno-Ugric type).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Ultimately it was 100x easier to just open up the culture file and change the various types of use either norsegfx (Finnish, Estonians, Lappish) or easterslavicgfx (every other Finno-Ugric type).

Through the culture file you can't add new clothing and such. Only change what set the specific culture uses, right? I thought you wanted to add all sorts of stuff to your precious Finnish. ;)

Plus, the portraits are also linked to the gfx tags. Meaning that you can change them around and suddenly have western white males ruling in Africa.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of DLC, the music DLC that was released with the old gods is well worth the money, some truly excellent tunes that go well with vikings.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Speaking of DLC, the music DLC that was released with the old gods is well worth the money, some truly excellent tunes that go well with vikings.

Yup. The unit one is also nice if you're into that sort of thing. Portrait pack is a disappointment. Faces aren't as hideous as in previous packs but it seems they only added a few items. Expect to see the same helmet and tunic everywhere.

BTW, do mod the music to play as any faction. The vanilla music drove me bonkers and I loathed only hearing certain tunes when playing a specific faction. Just unrar the dlc music (*.ogg files) into your music directory. Then open songs.txt and add the new songs with the following line.

song = {
name = "nameofsong.ogg"

chance = {
modifier = {
factor = 1
}
}
}

That adds the song to the playlist with the same chance of playing as any other. You can do this with all the music dlc. You can also add any kind of *.ogg file to the playlist this way. Made a massive one of medieval music for myself this way.

oscar

Arcane
Any mods that fix Persian appearance? I might give one a whirl that gives them the Mediterranean portraits (more widely, the mod disables the rest of the character portrait DLCs but still uses their hairstyles, hats, clothes, armour etc) + the mod that gets the Mediterranean portraits looking decent.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
That improvement mod hasn't been updated to patch 1.10 as far as I know. The realignment mod however works splendid.

Send the Culturally Different Cities guy a pm. If he's not going to reply or update the mod himself I'll go and do it. Yeah, I dig it that much. Together with the now increasingly out of date and defunct Better Looking Characters these are the graphical improvement mods everyone should have.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
YES! After savescumming like a maniac, I finally become Persia starting with Gilan. Though loads of religious rebellions (by Muslims and Zoro heretics) and factions clamoring for the return of the Saffarids is making my rule precarious and unlikely to stand against the Seljuks.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Another interesting change in the latest patch is that being a bit over your demesne limit is a lot less punishing. I was 2-3 counties over the limit for many years while waiting for more sons to be born, and I didn't get any negative events, just the vassal opinion penalty.

Another interesting change in the latest patch is that being a bit over your demesne limit is a lot less punishing. I was 2-3 counties over the limit for many years while waiting for more sons to be born, and I didn't get any negative events, just the vassal opinion penalty.

Yeah, it's also a flat 25% income debuff rather than (limit - total demesne) / limit percent. Think it was done after I and other players raised the issue of 0-stewardship mayors that acquired a second city, they'd be at 2/1 demesne and therefore suffer -100% income penalty. And of course it was quite impossible to revoke their title without becoming worse than hitler (if you even notice in the first place).

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
YES! After savescumming like a maniac, I finally become Persia starting with Gilan. Though loads of religious rebellions (by Muslims and Zoro heretics) and factions clamoring for the return of the Saffarids is making my rule precarious and unlikely to stand against the Seljuks.
How did you make it? I managed to grab 3 or four counties before the two adjacent big blobs attempt to rape me.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Haha, I didn't even notice that there was an income debuff, I was raking in so much cash from raiding that my tax income was a drop in the ocean :D

Speaking of mayors, I set up a Norse pagan trade republic in Kent, hoping they'd build trade posts and improve prosperity in the region. They didn't build any trade posts, instead they used those large republican fleets to go raiding far off places. They do provide me with massive fleet levies, so setting them up was a good idea.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Speaking of mayors, I set up a Norse pagan trade republic in Kent, hoping they'd build trade posts and improve prosperity in the region. They didn't build any trade posts, instead they used those large republican fleets to go raiding far off places. They do provide me with massive fleet levies, so setting them up was a good idea.
Modern capitalism in the middle ages.

Through the culture file you can't add new clothing and such. Only change what set the specific culture uses, right? I thought you wanted to add all sorts of stuff to your precious Finnish. ;)

Plus, the portraits are also linked to the gfx tags. Meaning that you can change them around and suddenly have western white males ruling in Africa.
Nah, it worked just fine like this. No hassle, now other types make use of the Norse portrait pack, and the other guys make use of the Russian portrait pack, plus the appropriate sprite pack for units. All it takes is changing the gfx used by each type in the culture file.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'll do a short LP of my next Old Gods run, feel free to recommend a seafaring OPM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom