Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

oscar

Arcane
Any way for Norse culture to not devolve into Swedish, Danish and Norwegian? Doesn't make much sense if they were unified under one realm for them to start significantly developing their own identities.

curry

Arcane
I started preparing an invasion of Mercia due to an event but I was also called in to join another Pagan invasion of Northumberland. So, I shipped thousands of troops to Northern England and successfully helped the invasion. Then, however, I got an event saying I waited too long to invade Mercia and all the troops were disbanded although they were in the province next to Mercia. Wtf. I don't like how this works.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Problem, Georgia? :smug:

06.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Btw, do the Seljuks come with bonus doomstacks? I've been getting kind of worried about the East, though a string of succesful assassinations and plots have kind of thrown them into chaos due to acute extinction of House Seljuk (which I totally had no part in).

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Man the Norse a overpwoerd early on until they start to devolve into petty in fighting. Sweden went from a massive state that owned most of what would be Norway and Iceland and a generation later Norway was formed and Sweden is down to 1/4 the of there land and they also lost part of north Sweden to rebellions.

Now the issue is after i finally took Denmark as my own and manged to get a reform Norse started by more or less cutting a bloody path, but i am now stuck with both a Orthodox Sweden and Norway to my north and the Catholic greater Moliveria to my south that is massive at this point.

Now i still have a chance to hit both Norway and Sweden while they deal with the fact that most of there land is still Norse and old Norse. OR that was the plan until England started eyeing my single land in there domain. Over all the next few in game years should be interesting as my king is getting old.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Btw, do the Seljuks come with bonus doomstacks? I've been getting kind of worried about the East, though a string of succesful assassinations and plots have kind of thrown them into chaos due to acute extinction of House Seljuk (which I totally had no part in).
They had 50-60k stack.

Man the Norse a overpwoerd early on until they start to devolve into petty in fighting. Sweden went from a massive state that owned most of what would be Norway and Iceland and a generation later Norway was formed and Sweden is down to 1/4 the of there land and they also lost part of north Sweden to rebellions.

The only thing holding the AI norse from dominating the world in a century or two is the forced gavelkind succession. AI can't into reforming the religion and doesn't manage the inheritance to make sure the kingdom isn't breaking up every generation.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Pagan hordes sweeping into an area, causing serious damage, and then fading away within a few years sounds about right to me.

My only problem so far are two nations: Hungary and Denmark. In all my games so far they've gone nuts. Denmark in my current game owns England, Scotland, half of Ireland, Denmark, chunks of Sweden, and half of Finland.

Hungary always whoops the Khazars and has a snaky empire that stretches east.

oscar

Arcane
Apparently you can avoid Norse culture splintering if you refuse to flip from Norse for long enough.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Hungary always whoops the Khazars and has a snaky empire that stretches east.

So they failed to implement migrations? Had to be expected.

In my Norse game, Hungary formed perfectly. They moved into the correct area, and by the time my next ruler was on the throne (15-20 years or so), they had lost the far eastern bits but held on in Hungary. Only problem I have seen is that none of the pagans ever converted (though that could be because the Catholic religion has low moral authority).

In my Wales game, not so much. They failed completely and ceased to exist very quickly (it is now very hard to find any Hungarian characters, if they even still exist).

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath

The only thing holding the AI norse from dominating the world in a century or two is the forced gavelkind succession. AI can't into reforming the religion and doesn't manage the inheritance to make sure the kingdom isn't breaking up every generation.

In my current game AI reformed tengri quite early, before 900 AD :eek:

Can't imagine norse AI doing this though.

It depends entirely on where the religious sites are located of course. The AI basically needs to randomly decide to conquer at least 3 of them within a lifetime, otherwise they get split up within the kingdom and other rulers of the faith will hold them (and the AI won't prioritize attacking their own faith just for the holy sites). Norse has 3 holy sites under their own rulers and 2 others under the control of major Christian powers, so it just ain't happening unless Scandinavia forms.

Pretty sure Tengri was reformed in my game where fuckhueg Carpathia formed, but you know, too busy killing the pagans to care about whether they had a formalized system of beliefs.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Well, my epic viking quest for some black ass was an utter failure.

Discouraged by lack of easy sea acces to negro kingdoms I've plundered north Africa caliphate's capital. For some reason there was no gold at all, only a key to a mysterious old chest from byzantium with useless scrolls inside. The only prisoner captured was an old and depressed granny - Caliph's mother.
Raid on Rome was somewhat more succesful. Plenty of gold, but no hot nuns. Only one prisoner - again, an old hag. Infirm.

I NEED EXOTIC CONCUBINES!

:x

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, started with Svithjod, founded Sweden, and was generally badass. My king earned the title "the Great". His firstborn son asked to be a Varangian. I allowed him to go. MAKE ME PROUD, SON!

A couple of years later, my firstborn son, my heir, returns from Constantinople - blinded and castrated.

My king died when he was close to 70. A long and prosperous reign - but his heir is blind and has no balls. Luckily, he had a son and a daughter before his unfortunate accident abroad so the inheritance was secure.
Soon after his ascendancy to the throne, he was challenged by some vassal factions who wanted his brother to rule, or who wanted to be independent. He managed to beat them all and after a few years of rule, the kingdom was stabilized.
Then, an event popped up. One of my courtiers or vassals was a dick my king disliked. I chose to challenge him to a holmgang - a duel with axes.
I expected my blind and castrated king to lose this duel. Heck, the event text even said that his chances of victory are slim.
But he won.
He fucking won an axe fighting duel without having any eyes.
During his reign, he did earn the title "the Great", and he had the "brave" trait.

Despite being castrated, this guy had more balls than anyone else in the entire fucking kingdom.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Son of my frist king of Norway returned from Varangian stressed and depressed.

220px-JohnRambo2008.jpg

Luckily he eventually overcame both and even reformed the norse faith.

Well, my epic viking quest for some black ass was an utter failure.

Discouraged by lack of easy sea acces to negro kingdoms I've plundered north Africa caliphate's capital. For some reason there was no gold at all, only a key to mysterious old chest from byzantium with useless scrolls inside. The only prisoner captured was an old and depressed granny - Caliph's mother.
Raid on Rome was somewhat more succesful. Plenty of gold, but no hot nuns. Only one prisoner - again, an old hag. Infirm.

I NEED EXOTIC CONCUBINES!

:x

Just ask them next time, they'll send you wimmin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom