Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

baturinsky

Arcane
Hmm, I remember playing this game in Harem DLC times and beating AI by cheap tactics of bait+amphibious surprise. Maybe I should install and play it again with Rape DLC.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Why is Christianity split in 867 AD? I know that Roman-Alexandrian-Constantinopolitan tensions had existed long before 1054, but the Pope/Patriarchs seeing each other as heretics is pushing it.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Why is Christianity split in 867 AD? I know that Roman-Alexandrian-Constantinopolitan tensions had existed long before 1054, but the Pope/Patriarchs seeing each other as heretics is pushing it.
My guess is that the split would be nigh impossible to model fluently without setting it in stone (which is out of the question given the sandbox nature of the game). That's without getting into all the pagans who convert and how you'd have to work with that.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
But the chain of events and decisions leading up to the schism or lack thereof can have so much potential, it seems like a wasted opportunity on Paradox's part. The petty political nature of the tensions are ideal for a character-driven strategy game like CK2.

I still have hope though, cuz the next obvious choice for a DLC would be some kind of Theocracy/Holy Order-based thing. That and "mods will fix it".

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Lets be honest here, I cant name a single Paradox game where religions and churches were even adequately represented. Expecting them to model the great schism in a game where they didnt even model investiture issues and conflicts between the emperor and the pope which shaped Europe at the time? Wont happen.

Vaarna_Aarne

FFFFUUUUUUU, I just had the most dreamy turn of events evar (destroyed the Kingdom of Sweden title I just usurped because it'd be better to take the opinion penalty than to deal with the constant bastards plotting; anyway the king randomly croaked the next week and took away the opinion penalty hurray), and the game crashed!

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
YES! After savescumming like a maniac, I finally become Persia starting with Gilan. Though loads of religious rebellions (by Muslims and Zoro heretics) and factions clamoring for the return of the Saffarids is making my rule precarious and unlikely to stand against the Seljuks.
How did you make it? I managed to grab 3 or four counties before the two adjacent big blobs attempt to rape me.

Cross-posted from my post in pdox forums:
Managed to become Persia as Gilan. Took Tabaristan as usual, (thankfully Bavandids converted to Shia Islam). Yazidids who held Azerbaijan was conquered by the huge Armenian duchy, after which I attack the Armenians for Azerbaijan. I attack the small Kurdish emirate in Tabriz while the Abbasids were preoccupied with rebellions while parking my chancellor at Saffarid capital. Thankfully, the Saffarids managed to form Persia without attacking me (ie. can no longer use subjugation casus belli).

When the unrest in Abbasid lands abated, I swear fealty to Samanids (since they only had limited crown authority), but even then the Shah tried to revoke my duchy. I defeat him by turtling at Tabaristan (since it is full of mountains) while hiring lots of mercenaries. Crown authority of Persia turns to autonomous, old Shah abdicates and lots of factions sprout up. Form the elective succesion faction, managed to institute elective without bloodshed (due to the depleted levies of the Saffarids and due to the fact that other lords joined my faction). Afterwards, form 'Justanid emir for Persia' faction and attacked while my liege was involved in rebellions while hiring (again) lots of mercenaries. Became Shah, bribe and gave titles to convince some vassals to convert to Zoro. So far, my rule is a bit precarious with religious rebellions popping now and then (Mazdaki, Sunni, Zikri) and Saffarids continuing to be a thorn in my side. Though, I'm currently on my third Justanid Shah. The first one was the starting count of Gilan, while my second ruled for barely a year, assassinated by the wife and my third female Shah(Shahess?) was married to her uncle (the second Shah's brother).

Not gonna lie though, I savescum alot (ie. attacked Saffarids in their succession war, got wooped, reload or never swear fealty to Saffarids and be wooped by the Abbasids, reload).
How to win with Gilan (with savescumming and reloads)
  • It is really essential you get Tabaristan (hope that Bavandids don't start an independence war so you can get all counties) and Azerbaijan (hope that the big Armenian duchy conquered it from Sunnis since they don't have holy war allies). Both have Zoroastrian population, so you're set. Tabriz (the small Kurdish Sunni emirate) is not essential, also can serve as buffer against Abbasids.
  • Fight in the mountains, don't buy improvements, save jewgolds for mercs. Don't ever try to fuck with Abbasids, even if they were in a civil war or rebellions. You can defeat anyone (with mercs + mountains of Tabaristan, even the Saffarids) except the Abbasid 30-50k stacks. Hope that Sunnis won't start gangbanging you.
  • Swear fealty to Saffarids and take over from within. Enjoy your disgruntled Muslim vassals and multiple religious rebellions
G32VkuB.jpg

Married with my Persian uncle, who is younger by two years. Thankfully, the son has no inbred traits (yet). You can't get manwhores male concubines as a female ruler. :(

WlTOaZR.jpg

Vassal holdings within Persia. Note that the Saffarids still hold central Persia while my demesne is concentrated on Tabaristan/Azerbaijan.

HxuFqgO.jpg

Still plenty of Muslims in Persia.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
I also read from the Pdox forums that there are still Avar rulers in the game and that you can form Avaria (ie. Hungary with name-change). My next game would be punishing the descendants of Charlemagne for destroying the Avar khaganate.

I did a Zorastrian game. Main trick was to swear fealty to nearby kings, join independence faction (there's always one with kings/empires), let other rebels get their ass kicked before running in with mercs saving the day. After rebellion is over disband levies, keep mercs, holy war the other former rebels with the mercs and take easy land. The rebels will have almost no garrison due to being attacked by their former lord and their lord will be far too weak to come after you for a long, long time. Holy war is just way too OP of a CB TBH, and Mercs are just silly.

In my particular game Carpathia became a fuck huge empire that nearly had the borders of the Golden Horde, 300 years ahead of time. Still managed to carve out a good chunk of them.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
I did a Zorastrian game. Main trick was to swear fealty to nearby kings, join independence faction, let other rebels get their ass kicked before running in with mercs saving the day. After rebellion is over disband levies, keep mercs, holy war the other former rebels with the mercs and take easy land. The rebels will have almost no garrison due to being attacked by their former lord and their lord will be far too weak to come after you for a long, long time. Holy war is just way too OP of a CB TBH.
Did you join a muslim or orthodox kingdom?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Bit annoyed with the old gods start date being fixed. I wanted to play Gorm the Old, but all I get is some imaginary chieftain. :(

I did a Zorastrian game. Main trick was to swear fealty to nearby kings, join independence faction, let other rebels get their ass kicked before running in with mercs saving the day. After rebellion is over disband levies, keep mercs, holy war the other former rebels with the mercs and take easy land. The rebels will have almost no garrison due to being attacked by their former lord and their lord will be far too weak to come after you for a long, long time. Holy war is just way too OP of a CB TBH.
Did you join a muslim or orthodox kingdom?

Pagans and Muslims. Byzantine empire was no where near me. Just stay a duke as long as you want and you can keep devouring territory this way. Make sure to use your spy on the strongest vassals to encourage them to join your factions.

mondblut

Arcane
Lol, what's up with the new "flag" of c_vodi?

That which it was created in 1918 based on the traditional colours of Swedish Ingria from 17 century is bad enough. But having a classic "scandinavian cross" design in 867, centuries before scandinavians themselves have adopted it? :roll:

sser

Arcane
Developer
My friend says he's having a problem as Croatia (860s start). Basically, he has Primo Agnatic-Cog etc., but when he forms the Kingdom of Croatia, it auto-switches to Gavelkind. Is this the return of the bug or is there some law/gameplay mechanic doing this?

Vaarna_Aarne

My friend says he's having a problem as Croatia (860s start). Basically, he has Primo Agnatic-Cog etc., but when he forms the Kingdom of Croatia, it auto-switches to Gavelkind. Is this the return of the bug or is there some law/gameplay mechanic doing this?
Kingdoms have their own Laws when created or usurped.

sser

Arcane
Developer

So it's pre-ordained that the Kingdom of Croatia will have gavelkind? How do you know what law a kingdom has before creating it?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Zoro Start
0. Get Debutantes - pick the lowest intrigue as your primary wife. The other 3 becomes your concubine. You want the piety from having lots of babies.
1. Purge vassals. Basically take whatever they have. This is important because money is scarce. And having 4 productive holdings making direct taxes to your pocket is crucial.
2. Should get 1620 levy once you have every holdings in your demesne.
3. Hit south. Holy War for Tabaristan.

01.jpg

You should get just one county cause the duchy you demanded revolted. No big loss. Do not assault siege. You have 5,000 strong army, let the siege complete by itself.

4. Regroup your force back to your capital.
5. Assassinate your wife. This is simply done by inviting Holy men to your court to stab her butt. They should like you more than her. If not, release a prisoner. People like kind monarchs and will not ask question when he wants his wife dead.
6. Your wife is dead, but you still have 3 concubine. Remarry for some gold.
7. Hire cheap mercs. 60-100G and Holy War for Azerbaijan.

02.jpg

03.jpg

Continue rape.

04.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

So it's pre-ordained that the Kingdom of Croatia will have gavelkind? How do you know what law a kingdom has before creating it?
Hovering over the title should show what laws it has.

EDIT: Also, I think Crown Authority at creation plays an important role in the inheritance law.

They did something with the coat of arms of certain provinces and titles in eastern Europe
LbWs0ci.jpg

Such as these, looks considerably better than the others if you ask me. To bad the rest aren't of that quality.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I figured out why my Norse patricians aren't building trade posts; the lowest level of trade technology comes with a -100% modifier to trade post limit, so they need at least level 1 tech to start trading (-50% cap at that level).

Also: protip for surviving gavelkind. Own multiple baronies in your capital province, gavelkind will never split up the holdings in a single county so having troops from multiple castles in one place gives you a strong army to use in the inevitable succession crisis. I had nearly the entire Greater Kingdom of England join in the civil war to replace my new king with his uncle, but I managed to win thanks to a 5000 man army from Middlesex county, 6000 retinue and the Scottish Band.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Shame that 'Must not marry infidel' penalty now also apply to male courtiers as well. And I'm looking forward to reviving the Heraclius-Yazdegerd alliance against muslims too. :(

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the "Must not marry an infidel" has been greatly expanded. It used to be just for the rulers family members, but now it applies to everyone at the court. Funnily enough one lord refused to let me marry a random courtier because of religion, but when I asked for her as a concubine he was perfectly OK with it.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I also read from the Pdox forums that there are still Avar rulers in the game and that you can form Avaria (ie. Hungary with name-change). My next game would be punishing the descendants of Charlemagne for destroying the Avar khaganate.

Yes, there are several. There's a count in Balaton, a duchy in Bulgaria and a count within that duchy. I've tried all three, they are all very difficult but the count in Balaton is by far the hardest. You're jailed and your title is stripped almost immediately. There's nothing you can do about it. If you get lucky with the ones in Bulgaria, the Magyars will take over and you'll at least have a Tengri overlord who can protect you for a little while so you can take over neighbors, but this strategy also requires Hungary to stay strong, which means it will be harder to gain independence later. I'm playing an Avar right now and I'm between a rock and a hard place 24/7.

baturinsky

Arcane
Also: protip for surviving gavelkind. Own multiple baronies in your capital province, gavelkind will never split up the holdings in a single county so having troops from multiple castles in one place gives you a strong army to use in the inevitable succession crisis. I had nearly the entire Greater Kingdom of England join in the civil war to replace my new king with his uncle, but I managed to win thanks to a 5000 man army from Middlesex county, 6000 retinue and the Scottish Band.
Also, having good gold reserves helps a lot. Buying loyalty, hiring mercs, etc. Interesting that gold is only thing that transfers in full, no matter what. It's like treasury is the real protagonist of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom