Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex: Eternity - What you get for your $$$

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I disagree. Dragon Age certainly proves you wrong (you can't just click an ability whenever it's off cooldown, because you don't have resources for that).
False. You have all the mana potions you'll ever need. Hundreds of them.

Lyrium potions are on cooldowns and not in any way sufficient for you to keep spamming ALL spells whenever they're off cooldown. This is what you literally stated, and it is false.
Again false. Every different lyrium potion has a separate cooldown (which are very short anyway), even just cycling through 2 different potion-kinds is enough to spam your spells non-stop. A factual empiricly proven fact. What I stated is 100% literally true, you're the one who's wrong.

no u

We're getting side-tracked anyway, since we have no knowledge on how potions will work in PE. The central thing is that the concepts of cooldowns and level-scaling has never not sucked in an RPG, in some way or another.

catfood

AGAIN
Guys why not just shoot for one of the 1000 freedumb bucks rewards and be done with it? Just have an NPC in game named Mono Cled who constantly bitches about The Decline Of Western Civilization As We Know It (TM) and leave it at that.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Better idea.

You encounter:

A confused and bumbling band of adventurers named Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, Adam Brennecke and Feargus Urqhart. They immediately cast spells of Illusion, Enchantment and Bullshit and begin speaking rapidly at the pc. PC must make a saving throw and escape or cast their own "Bullshit Reveal" spell. After this each adventurer takes turns casting "Bullshit" before speaking while also making pick-pocket rolls. They will not answer any of the PC's questions so the PC can either make a saving roll to escape or fight. If the pc wins the battle he will find over $2,000,000 loot on their bodies along with a sheet of paper which reads:

Design Document
391ki.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meh, didn't heard about the cooldowns before, downgraded from 65 to 25... why MCA, why? I though we had something special... :(

/start play PS:T eating icecream

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I await the Damage Control that will probably ensue later (and possibly a better explanation).

Though I can't see any even if they are using cooldowns. Unless they are on say a day like timer. And limited rest.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It would be funny if the cooldowns would be like in D&D, 8 hours for spellmemorization and a day in divine magic (or something like that). There would be some serious flip-flopping among the people here. :D

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
It would be funny if the cooldowns would be like in D&D, 8 hours for spellmemorization and a day in divine magic (or something like that). There would be some serious flip-flopping among the people here. :D
Except that's not a "cooldown". The D&D system is like a deck of cards you get to pick up at the start of the adventure of the day, and as you play them, they are no longer available. That's not an "8 hour cooldown" ffs. I know your optimism is just being contrary to the codexian contrariness (i.e. an attempt of one-upping), but the definition of a "cooldown" doesn't change just because Obsidian is using it :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I get the point of you can only pick certain cards form your deck for the day, like the IE/Gold Box games (of which I personally like). But if this uses something like say a Level 4 Mage can only cast Fireball 1x day, Magic Missile 2x day AND there is limited resting, I would not really have a problem with that. Upset? Yes, but not full FULL RAMPAGING RAGE.

Anyways, I await Damage Control™ from Obsidian later.

Hopefully...

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Better idea.

You encounter:

A confused and bumbling band of adventurers named Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, Adam Brennecke and Feargus Urqhart. They immediately cast spells of Illusion, Enchantment and Bullshit and begin speaking rapidly at the pc. PC must make a saving throw and escape or cast their own "Bullshit Reveal" spell. After this each adventurer takes turns casting "Bullshit" before speaking while also making pick-pocket rolls. They will not answer any of the PC's questions so the PC can either make a saving roll to escape or fight. If the pc wins the battle he will find over $2,000,000 loot on their bodies along with a sheet of paper which reads:

Design Document
391ki.png

:lol:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I get the point of you can only pick certain cards form your deck for the day, like the IE/Gold Box games (of which I personally like). But if this uses something like say a Level 4 Mage can only cast Fireball 1x day, Magic Missile 2x day AND there is limited resting, I would not really have a problem with that. Upset? Yes, but not full FULL RAMPAGING RAGE.

Anyways, I await Damage Control™ from Obsidian later.

Hopefully...
If there will be damage control, and it will appear that this is miscommunication, I would kick Feargus and that other dev in the ass for causing panic and butthurt. You simply can't do that during a KS period. There are pledges at stake.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, it will all eventually boil down to a mis-communication then the flip-flop will ensue, as you said. ;) Rex will be blushing.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I don't think you understand what flip-flopping means, Matt-san.
Better idea.

You encounter:

Design Document
391ki.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Random devs says: There will be cooldowns.
The Codex: Fuck this shit, I withdraw my pledge
Tim Cain says: Thre was some miscommunication. There are no cooldowns.
The Codex: Yeah!!! Increasing my pledge.

That is flip-flopping in my book.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I hope I am right to. Otherwise.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU DRAGON TURD WITH GUNZ!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Are you serious? Flip-flopping is reversing your stand on an issue. No one is reversing their stand here - the stand is being against cooldowns. In other words:

The Codex: I am against cooldowns, so I'm not upping my pledge.
Tim Cain says: There was some miscommunication. There are no cooldowns.
The Codex: Cool, because I am against cooldowns.

Sometimes you are a bit thick, J_C.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
J E Sawyer" said:
Reading all of the quotes on the front page, it really sounds like the cooldowns are more likely replacing the rest system while you will still have to make choices about what spells you have available to cast.
Thank you for reading what I wrote.

J E Sawyer said:
I don't know where this topic came from, but I don't expect to use level scaling much, if at all, in PE.

Sub guise.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Are you serious? Flip-flopping is reversing your stand on an issue. No one is reversing their stand here - the stand is being against cooldowns. In other words:

The Codex: I am against cooldowns, so I'm not upping my pledge.
Tim Cain says: There was some miscommunication. There are no cooldowns.
The Codex: Cool, because I am against cooldowns.

Sometimes you are a bit thick, J_C.
The flip-flopping wasn't referring to the cooldowns. I was using it for the "I hate the game - now I love the game - now I hate it again" attitude the Codex feels.

But that's Obsidian flip-flopping.
Sawyer was the one who talked about the game using level scaling? If he was, that it is fliip-flopping. But if just some randon Obsidian dev made a comment, without consulting the lead designer, I wouldn't call it a flip-flopping.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, J_C was more referring to the people in the other thread that all knee jerked and went OMFG! PLEDGE WITHDRAWN!

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm not re-pledging until I see a decent reason to. All I think of when I think of this game are the words "vaguely interesting" and then I think about that fucking godawful concept art and even that fades.

:keepmymoney:
Until further notice.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm not re-pledging until I see a decent reason to. All I think of when I think of this game are the words "vaguely interesting" and then I think about that fucking godawful concept art and even that fades.

:keepmymoney:
Until further notice.

So... basically what you are saying is Fargo does a better job at TRUST US GUISE! IT WILL BE AWESOME! than Obsidian?

Obsidian has a FAR better track record of decent to great cRPG's than IneXile dies...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom