Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Larian Hate Poll: Has your opinion about Larian Studios changed?

Which one of these statements most accurately describes your opinion of Larian Studios?

• Total voters

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No, they were shit back then and they are shit now so my opinion hasn't changed.
To be fair Divine Divinity was nice.

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't think anyone really hates Larian. They're just underwhelming. The gameplay's been trash in D:OS 2, and their writing style's goddamn cringy.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Larian has always been trash. They are the kings of all flash and no substance, their games are shallow, poor quality, badly designed messes. It is just that like every scam developer, they are front-loaded, meaning you need to spend many hours before the problems begin to appear and you realize you are playing a shallow game that pretends to be deeper than it is. It is the same like say Diablo 3, DOS is no different. In Diablo 3 once you first play it you think it is so deep and full of choices, but once you reach the end game and try a few classes/sets/builds, you realize Diablo 3 is actually shallow as fuck and the complexity is only skin deep. DOS is the same. I never got the hype, but it seems most modern gamers need to only start the main menu screen and see the character start screen and a couple of battles/dialogues before they proclaim a game to be the best game ever made...

The reason public opinion has shifted lately is simply because more people have finished their trash lately, so they are not delusional anymore. In 2016 or 2017 not even 5% had completed DOS but 99% said it was the best RPG of all time, but then some of those imbeciles actually played the game they praised and realised it was not that good.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The reason public opinion has shifted lately is simply because more people have finished their trash lately, so they are not delusional anymore. In 2016 or 2017 not even 5% had completed DOS but 99% said it was the best RPG of all time, but then some of those imbeciles actually played the game they praised and realised it was not that good.
What... are you talking about?

1qudZzX.png

User0001

Savant
Divine Divinity was great fun, despite real-time gameplay. Everything after DD was bland. It's the world reactivity within a competent turn-based system that's getting me excited for BG3 (DOS 1-2 were not competent), therefore everything they've done between DD and now I couldn't care less about.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Their games are flawed but they still are among the best of the industry. They brought isometric turnbased crpgs back into the mainstream spotlight and deserve a medal for this alone. We wouldn't have a Microsoft funded Wasteland 3 if it wasn't for Sven and his rascals. Love them, will probably buy Baldurs Gate 3 on september 30.

I've always liked Larian, ever since I played Divine Divinity.
I even went out of my way to buy the boxset they released that included all their games and complete soundtracks around the Original Sin announcement.

It seems I also am in the minority that didn't enjoy OS much but absolutely loved OS2.
The only one of their games I haven't played is Commander because I don't really care for that kind of games.

I'm with you on this one. Yes they botched the initiative system, but the rest of the game improved in almost every aspect. Better writing, better quest design, slightly better itemization (still not exactly good though), better encounter design, more meaningful skill checks, more C&C. Their mid and late game also didn't fall off a cliff all of a sudden.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think anyone really hates Larian. They're just underwhelming. The gameplay's been trash in D:OS 2, and their writing style's goddamn cringy.
Look everybody. All I'm saying is this game has no right being called bg3. I'm sure most of you more reasonable people here can agree with that. It is a crime against art to call this game bg3 when it makes no effort to relate to the originals in it's mechanics. If they called it something else everything would be fine. I still wouldn't play the game because larian makes horrible games but it would be fine, and I would have no issues. There are worse crimes than making a horrible game, such as creating a sequel using the name that otherwise wouldn't even qualify as a spiritual successor. Or even part of the same sub-genre. Larian is a company that is willing to do anything they want under the leadership of swen and the consumers and fans of art should hold them accountable.

Did you guys like DOS1? DOS2? I didn't. So why would you think this game would be any different. It's still the same people making the game. The only difference is Mike Mearl's is an accomplice in this stain on the art piece that is BG. Same people are making this game. maybe they have a better system to work with now, but that won't make that much of a difference. The same people behind the decisions that made DOS2 so horrible are the same people behind the decisions of this game. Sure they can't make horrible armor systems but there's still plenty. Sure they changed the dialogue after everyone told them it was a stupid decision, but the people who thought it was a good decision in the first place are still there making more decisions. There will be plenty of horrible decisions they will make that the consumers won't see. Who will hold them accountable then? The consumers have had to fix some decisions already, but who will fix the problems in act 2? act 3? act 4? Larian will continue to hurt the industry and the cultists will remain anyways because they think it's cute when he walks around in suits of armors and changes a beloved series to something that doesn't resemble the original product.

It wasn't right when Beamdog did it and it isn't right now. At least beamdog tried to honour the series, although they were way too incompetent to do so. When will studios learn their place and realize they they should stay in their own lane. The only reason Swen is in the forgotten realms is because he was too incompetent to make his own universe good. Can you honestly tell me that's someone you would trust to make a beloved series?
What's not to like?
larian and swen.
These are the type of people larian caters to. Degenerates and dumbfucks. It's just unfortunate they dragged a good series into the middle of it. BG series is simply a tool for them to use and abuse.
It's a lot more than that. Basically everyone is mad at larian because all of their previous games have sucked and they feel that larian does not deserve the honour or privilege of touching anything to do with the great Baldurs Gate series. They made a game and called it baldurs gate 3 even though it has nothing to do with the series. Everything is copied from dos2 rather than BG 1 or 2. Every time there is a design philosophy difference between dos2 and BG series, it is almost guaranteed that they take the dos2 route. They have no reason to call this game baldurs gate 3, and by even suggesting that it's similar to the BG series in any way is a disgrace against the gaming industry. They used the name but refuse to acknowledge the originals otherwise. That's just a couple of reasons why everybody hates the game. swen is a thief.
Because swen is incompetent.
Perfect example. Basically "high level is bad but Larian can pull it off because they are so great and they can over come the flaws of high level dnd"

Larian cultists are predictable. I called it. Everyone's probably fine with it because Larian did it and can do no wrong in their eyes
Because they realized that it sucked. Passionate people don't spend some 15 years making their own universe only to drop it the second someone offers them a different one. Swen practically begged them for the chance to work on bg3 and Mike mearls was stupid enough to let him. Imagine developing a world for that long and then dropping it. If swen can't even maintain his own world and make it something he's proud and passionate about, why would you trust him with a different one. Imagine dropping something you've been working on for that long. Swen is spineless and has zero passion. He has no faith in his own product, yet his cultists will defend it until the end of time.
The cult leader is a passionless hack and the Larian cultists are soulless shills who get mad and try to silence you everytime you bring up one of swen led larians many faults. They are incompetent and shouldn't work on anything. They definitely shouldn't be working on bg. Can you honestly tell me you think any Larian game is great? Or even playable?
There's no way to go further down but Baldurs Gate 3 will not just bring itself and future games down, it will retroactively bring down all of Baldurs Gate just by association. larian is a plague and will ruin everything that comes in contact with anything that it comes into contact with. Imagine trying to recommend the Baldurs Gate series to your random co worker and he replies with "Yeah, I love larian games. baldurs gate 3 is amazing." Hearing that would break my heart, and I would lack the constitution to guide this random co worker into actual good RPGs.
You might want to rethink your statement.

jackofshadows

Magister
Went for the third option but I don't actively dislike them, rather neutral towards them. I enjoyed D:OS1 for a little while but finishing it was a mistake. Dropped D:OS2 after 40 hours or so, it was a really bad experience. D:OS games simply doesn't appeal to me. Barely played their old games but they doesn't matter now since basically it's a brand new studio now.

Still, gonna participate in BG3 EA at least out of curiosity, I got time.

jac8awol

Arbiter
For some reason Larian makes me think of Peter Jackson pre-LOTR. They're good at what they do, they've been around for a while and built a decent reputation. Then suddenly they get a massive opportunity to take on a famous brand, on a much higher budget. I'm hopeful, I think Larian might rise to the challenge and put out something we never could have expected. Chances are we'll get The Hobbit instead, but...

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think their only legit bad game was Beyond Divinity. DOS 2 was a disappointment after DOS 1 though. And I might start hating them if we don't start hearing about Dragon Knight Saga 2 sometime soon

Seeker
In My Safe Space
It's ok for diablo to be shallow. Game is about going fast and exploding things. Look at Path of Exile, it's exactly the same.
Problem with dos is that it's shallowness is hiding behind an extremely clunky system.
Like trying to drive a truck by using bridles.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
It's ok for diablo to be shallow. Game is about going fast and exploding things. Look at Path of Exile, it's exactly the same.
Problem with dos is that it's shallowness is hiding behind an extremely clunky system.
Like trying to drive a truck by using bridles.

BINGO!

That is why i keep playing Diablo 3 to this day. It is a great arcade hack and slash with the best combat engine in the industry, fluid, full of colour and fun, and fast, occasional server lag spikes aside. It is not deep, even though it may fool a noob into thinking it is, but on the other hand, if you are playing Diablo 3 for the depth, you are doing it wrong. Diablo 3 is mindless casual fun.

As you pointed out, while DOS 1 and 2 are extremely shallow games, much shallower than even Diablo 3 in reality once you get past the fluff, they are not fun to play. They are clunky, with a bad interface, bad gameplay mechanics, they are slow and convoluted. Basically when you are playing DOS you are playing a Diablo 3 clone with controllable companions and more (but creengy) dialogue, but in turn based. Why would anyone play Diablo 3 in turn based combat is beyond me. But that is what you are doing essentially in DOS. Just attacking, potions, and a couple of abilities. LOL. "Tactical combat" my ass.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I mildly disliked them on the basis of D:OS1 and (especially) 2, but that dislike has turned into outright loathing now that they've got their grubby paws on the BG franchise, which came to a definite end in 2001 and should not have to suffer anyone's necromantic greed, least of all Larian's.

Varnaan

Augur
I mildly disliked them on the basis of D:OS1 and (especially) 2, but that dislike has turned into outright loathing now that they've got their grubby paws on the BG franchise, which came to a definite end in 2001 and should not have to suffer anyone's necromantic greed, least of all Larian's.

Blaming Larian for the antics of the Coastal Semites is silly.

Avarize

Magister
Where's the option for liking Larian before and after Divinity: Original Sin? At least they make TB games, unlike all the shit devs you guys like. You aren't wrong about their writing though.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Reading the Codex five years ago after the release of the first Divinity: Original Sin, one could get the impression that Larian were the new perfect RPG developer who could do no wrong, showing Obsidian and inXile how it's done. That's clearly not the case anymore. Let's try to find out to what extent Codex opinions on Larian have actually changed.
Hmmm i prefer the older larian games,that said i don't hate them really. If they find themself a good writer and maybe start a new fantasy world or clean the lore of that one(because it is nonsensical,too much and kind off retarded),they could end up making a good game. Their level design,TB system and inventory are pretty good. But that writing really gives a low kick to the whole game.

This days is shit on larian because they decided to make a rtwp franchise in to a TB game,that is like making a beloved TB franchise in to a first person shooter with certain green interface. Sadly this days most of TB fans are petty little hypocrites.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't really hate Larian. It's just that their games are not for me. It's like asking me to buy an electric car - when I'm happy with a mechanical diesel engine that I can repair and keep on the road myself. I like all the moving parts. Just telling me that "It's 2020 now and you have to move onto the next iteration retard!" isn't gonna change my mind.

So fuck off Greta! umm...Larian. But I assume they've got a ready and willing millenial client base just waiting for this game right?.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't really hate Larian. It's just that their games are not for me. It's like asking me to buy an electric car - when I'm happy with a mechanical diesel engine that I can repair and keep on the road myself. I like all the moving parts. Just telling me that "It's 2020 now and you have to move onto the next iteration retard!" isn't gonna change my mind.

So fuck off Greta! umm...Larian. But I assume they've got a ready and willing millenial client base just waiting for this game right?.
Fuck yeah,mechanical cars,win7 and good rpgs!

nikolokolus

Arcane
I always thought they made pretty good B-minus games that never quite measured up to the production values, writing, and gameplay of other higher profile games that were released in similar time-frames but I felt they at least tried to do something more than just being a weird Blizzard knock-off with D:OS1 (non EE). With the EE it felt like they were trying to chase a more mainstream audience by smoothing out all of the rough edges but in the process they lost whatever it was that gave their older games some charm; D:OS2 only reinforced that impression. So no, I don't hate Larian, but I'm definitely taking a 'wait and see' approach with BG3 and whatever they poop out next.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I dunno what happened with Larian after Ego Draconis, that was their game I enjoyed the most, DOS 1 was fun to play especially encounter design but it was unimaginative as you could get on everything else, I was expecting discovering hidden shit everywhere, interesting side quests everywhere, creative moments like I did on Ego Draconis and nope, the world was trying really hard to be as bland fantasy as possible, the RPG gameplay outside the combat was really bland and the silliness of dialogue wasnt balanced by seriousness like it was on Ego Draconis to make me care about the world, however, the solid encounter design managed to keep playing for some hours before the boredom killed me. It was more like the beta of a good rpg than a really good rpg.

DOS 2 is the same shit of DOS 1 but bloated beyond belief with the same bland world, the same silliness that made me not care about the setting, the same godawful itemization but they shit over the good parts of DOS 1, the combat, every single one of the changes they did actually made the game worse, DOS 2 was the biggest fuckup from game design that I ever saw. Everything was wrong with it and all the problems that DOS 1 combat had that could had been fixed with simple solutions, Larian chosen the most convoluted and nonsensical solutions ever.

To make things worse, because the normies liked (common, normies like any shit, they have no taste for anything and dont know what good game is if it hit them on the head, from my point of view, they are zombies mindless consuming bullshit marketing feeds them) Larian acted towards the criticism as if we were a bunch of haters and their games didnt have serious problems. Only after Swen admitted their mistakes and they said they wont change 5e for BG 3 is that I have any hope for that game because if it was just DOS 2 with a different coat o paint, fuck that shit.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
Reading the Codex five years ago after the release of the first Divinity: Original Sin, one could get the impression that Larian were the new perfect RPG developer who could do no wrong, showing Obsidian and inXile how it's done. That's clearly not the case anymore. Let's try to find out to what extent Codex opinions on Larian have actually changed.
Hmmm i prefer the older larian games,that said i don't hate them really. If they find themself a good writer and maybe start a new fantasy world or clean the lore of that one(because it is nonsensical,too much and kind off retarded),they could end up making a good game. Their level design,TB system and inventory are pretty good. But that writing really gives a low kick to the whole game.

This days is shit on larian because they decided to make a rtwp franchise in to a TB game,that is like making a beloved TB franchise in to a first person shooter with certain green interface. Sadly this days most of TB fans are petty little hypocrites.
Because rtwp was always bad and going back to the source material aka tb is pure incline.

For the rest of the haterz:

HatersGonnaHate.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Needed an option for "they're 'k I guess but divos was mediocre and with divos2 they went full retard"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom