Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community Codex Server Upgrade Drive

agris

Arcane
Patron
So what's the current state of affairs? Was the server upgraded? The software still looks the same to me, so I assume nothing happend on that front.

Yes, we moved to a new server with better hardware and up to date production environment. The forum software is another story, moving from XF1 to XF2 is going to be a major PITA that we all want to do in theory but nobody wants to touch in practice because issues. It's going to be weeks of work at best if not months to transplant all the content, features, addons, etc. from the old platform to the new. I saw this going nowhere a long time ago so my suggestion was to trim it down to bare bones and then build back up bit by bit gradually because wanting to do it all at once is extremely unlikely to happen.

All the forum "features" are just fluff. The discussion is what matters.

Just return to basic post and reply forums with a brofist only option.

Add back more features when you feel like it.

That makes sense to me, why not make a poll for this.
Completely agree. A nice bonus is we will probably shed a lot of garbage users who are here for non rpg discussion, but like mashing buttons and embedding vapid social media or meme content.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So what's the current state of affairs? Was the server upgraded? The software still looks the same to me, so I assume nothing happend on that front.

Yes, we moved to a new server with better hardware and up to date production environment. The forum software is another story, moving from XF1 to XF2 is going to be a major PITA that we all want to do in theory but nobody wants to touch in practice because issues. It's going to be weeks of work at best if not months to transplant all the content, features, addons, etc. from the old platform to the new. I saw this going nowhere a long time ago so my suggestion was to trim it down to bare bones and then build back up bit by bit gradually because wanting to do it all at once is extremely unlikely to happen.

Completely agree. A nice bonus is we will probably shed a lot of garbage users who are here for non rpg discussion, but like mashing buttons and embedding vapid social media or meme content.

They've been talking about how buttons and other shit changed the nature of the codex, and this would provide an opportunity to see how the "tone" of the codex changes when people aren't chasing after artificial social media likes.

Not that I expect a simplified user experience to last long, but it would be interesting to see how new fags react to the old style and the undoubted butt-hurt would be a bonus.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The issues with moving over to XF2 have far less to do with buttons (which are already included) and more to do with transferring all this message board content to a new board without breaking things, not to mention Codex-specific code (nothing to do with buttons).

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The issues with moving over to XF2 have far less to do with buttons (which are already included) and more to do with transferring all this message board content to a new board without breaking things, not to mention Codex-specific code (nothing to do with buttons).

Redact ur post.

It's the buttons, the social experiment must commence.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

This is the Codex utopia.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Yes, fisting can wait.

Everything has been discussed. If the old topics don't move then codex will be worthless.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Can we start a new fund raiser to downgrade the forums to nuke buttons and remove all the embed supports? The experience would be a marked improvement.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Keep only 1 button but make it "retadred" instead of brofist because that's way more befitting to the naturally inclined hostility of this shithole than people agreeing with each other.
if there's only one button left, let's keep one that express something positive; there's already enough negativity and hostility in the posts, so no need to leave to the lazy an easy way to spread negativity

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The accumulated wisdom of the codex is what I pay for. I may not donate much compared to some, but I may be more liberal in the future, and I'd hate for all of that knowledge to be lost in the move from stupidity. So please preserve the old topics. Codex is also a cultural heritage site.

Keep only 1 button but make it "retadred" instead of brofist because that's way more befitting to the naturally inclined hostility of this shithole than people agreeing with each other.
if there's only one button left, let's keep one that express something positive; there's already enough negativity and hostility in the posts, so no need to leave to the lazy an easy way to spread negativity
Honest to god, if I'm at sea and don't see another white woman for year, I better have a positive experience on the codex.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have emailed the following users:

If the email bounced, I PMd you. Further compound the mistakes in your life by telling me where you live so that I can send your Authentic Codex Memorial Pin to you.

So it's been half a year, did anyone get the pin?

Temaperacl

Erudite
So it's been half a year, did anyone get the pin?
I haven't yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it soon - just recently I sent DU my routing number so he could refund the Australian Hazardous Export Fee I had to send him a couple months ago since they finally found the pins non-hazardous. So that almost certainly means they've cleared Australian Export Control so I'm looking forward to getting the pins and my Export Fee refund any day now!

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A great treasure has arrived in mail today, along with a lovingly, and meticulously personalised letter.
4cDa0B0.png

The pin joins my backpack collection:
6WXdMLF.jpg

Fantastic Codexian experience! Never change DarkUnderlord!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom