Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline CODEX VOTE: Best TURN-BASED Blobbers Of All Time (Non-Anime)

Which Are Your Favorite Turn-Based (Non-Anime) Blobbers?

• Total voters

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Is wizardry 8 really considered that good or is it just the most accessible?

It's the best crpg system ever made with a modern UI and a great OST.

So the answer is yes and yes, at least for me.
It is that good but it's true the technology helps a lot.

If you didn't play it, go grab fastanim + wizfast mods (to speed up the combat, could be tedious without it) and play it already, it's not perfect but it's damn close!

Codex Year of the Donut
Is wizardry 8 really considered that good or is it just the most accessible?

It's the best crpg system ever made with a modern UI and a great OST.

So the answer is yes and yes, at least for me.
It is that good but it's true the technology helps a lot.

If you didn't play it, go grab fastanim + wizfast mods (to speed up the combat, could be tedious without it) and play it already, it's not perfect but it's damn close!
I played with both mods that speed up combat and combat still took a long time.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Did you launch the exes in the game folder to set the speed to the max ?

Early, when you fight stronger monsters, of course combat might take some time, specially on arnika road and in the monastery, afterward, it should get faster and then real fast, specially if you have powerful casters and the crit warrior classes.

Also, fastanim doesn't work well with some mods tampering with monsters (won't work with new monsters obviously).
I'm not sure wizfast works with all mods either, some need a different version, i think.

Codex Year of the Donut

Early, when you fight stronger monsters, of course combat might take some time, specially on arnika road and in the monastery, afterward, it should get faster and then real fast, specially if you have powerful casters and the crit warrior classes.

Also, fastanim doesn't work well with some mods tampering with monsters (won't work with new monsters obviously).
I'm not sure wizfast works with all mods either, some need a different version, i think.
I quit about halfway through when the battles became yuge

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, you need a ranger and a ninja to kill things quick, no matter what people tell you, these two very often 1-HIT "bosses" and tough monsters, also, taking a pure mage can also increase the dps quite a bit.

But what brings power faster to the man is the perfect match between classes/races to get them super skills faster.

Of course, after you completed it a couple of times, you do exactly the opposite, trying weird combinations.
Fuck, talking about it makes me want to launch it again ... argh, i have to re ... sist ... (too late)

Edit : Of course, if you don't like the combat, well it's 65% about combat ...
Still, the character development is so good compared to everything else, this game feels like a sin.

Edit 2 : Often, combat can drag because of weapons range and formation, these two aspects are really important, often, an extended weapon is better than a more powerful short ranged weapon, you'll attack twice as much instead of starring at the enemy helplessly because he's too far or using a ranged weapon you're barely skilled with.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
RESULT AFTER A YEAR:
  1. Wizardry 8 - 53 votes
  2. Might & Magic: World of Xeen - 44 votes
  3. Might & Magic 6 - 38 votes
  4. Grimoire - 34 votes
  5. Wizardry 7 - 31 votes
  6. Might & Magic 3 - 30 votes
  7. Wizardry 6 - 26 votes
  8. Might & Magic 7 - 25 votes
  9. Elminage Gothic - 21 votes
  10. Wizardry 1 - 20 votes (+2 places)
  11. Bard's Tale Trilogy - 19 votes
  12. Might & Magic X - 17 votes
  13. Might & Magic 1 - 15 votes
  14. Might & Magic 2 - 14 votes
  15. Wizards & Warriors - 14 votes
  16. Dark Spire - 13 votes
  17. Might & Magic 8 - 11 votes
  18. Paper Sorcerer - 10 votes
  19. Dragon Wars - 9 votes
  20. Wizardry 5 - 9 votes
Only 1 change: Wizardry 1 is now in the Top 10 of the TB blobbers.

Wizfall

Cipher

I quit about halfway through when the battles became yuge
You need Faster Combat program, way better than wizfast (wizfast only improve move speed not animations so battles still take forever).
Even huge battle with it are very playable, an absolute necessity tool to install

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Blobbers are absolute shit tier and should never be played.

That said, I did enjoy World of Xeen and Lands of Lore. Rare exceptions to a very clear rule.

Codex Year of the Donut
Blobber definition:
For those not familiar with the term, blobbers are party-based RPG's (usually with 1st person view) where all characters move and fight "as a blob" (no separate tactical movements for each character).
"usually with 1st person view"
so why was lords of xulima excluded?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you have a foldable smartphone it's quite nice but yes, on the PC I've never been a fan of emulating Etrian or Dark Spire. You'll want a foldable and a stylus.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Funny seeing Wiz 8 in the lead. It's not pure turn based, nor it is pure blobber, and the level scaling is anti-Codexian.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Dark Spire is insanely good. Not much replay value though.

Too bad it's on DS, the two screens thing makes emulation a real pain with small screens which makes it a chore to play.
Use an emulator that lets you split the two screens apart and then use a key combo to switch between the two windows, lots of games suddenly are much easier to play that way, as one of the screens usually has static info that isn't needed for the moment-to-moment gameplay.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
No Keef the Thief, Dungeons of Magdarr, Search For Magdarr, Dungeons of Death, or Realms of Darkness either. Hmph! Though, keef might not be TB and is a solo char so ok. But the others are TB and party of up to 8 or 10 I think. Been a while. And probably, I am the only one on the codex who ever played them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Use an emulator that lets you split the two screens apart and then use a key combo to switch between the two windows, lots of games suddenly are much easier to play that way, as one of the screens usually has static info that isn't needed for the moment-to-moment gameplay.

Care to elaborate? I tried to play a couple of games but always stumbled upon the same problems.
I wouldn't mind the name of an emulator doing this nor a how to link either.

Funny seeing Wiz 8 in the lead. It's not pure turn based, nor it is pure blobber, and the level scaling is anti-Codexian.

Wizardry 8 uses an elaborate smart limited scaling (level range per area), which seems to be too smart for the average Codexer, so let's agree on this.

Also, there is two modes, TB and phase based, which you can pick once and never have to touch again if you don't want to.

As for the pure blobber thing, first, I don't think such thing ever existed, second, Wizardry 8 formation is an improvement over other Blobbers.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom