Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline CODEX VOTE: Best TURN-BASED Blobbers Of All Time (Non-Anime)

Which Are Your Favorite Turn-Based (Non-Anime) Blobbers?

• Total voters

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This list made me remember, that the only dungeon crawlers I've played are Might and Magic VI and VIII. Didn't even touch the others. Shame on me.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Googling Wizardry Empire gives this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Ahh the lies of the internet - I think you will find those are amended pics either side from Fire Emblem Gaiden and it's remake. Try this for an actual view of the art of the game:

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Seems irresponsible to vote when I haven't heard of half these games. I like Wizardry, M&M, and Grimoire.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
And already we see Bard's Tale getting much more votes than the vastly superior Dragon Wars. That's why popularity polls don't work.

Bard's Tale Trilogy got an excellent remake, that's why it is getting more votes.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I liked the ambition of Dragon Wars, but I hated both character progression and the combat style. Level and world design was good overall, but due to combat and char progression I see it as decidedly weaker than lots of other blobbers, not that the BT's are that good either compared to the W's or the early M&M's

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's surprising that Spirit of Adventure (1991) seems to be completely unknown or unliked even by blobber lovers.

The game is basically the first Realms of Arkania (same devs), but with Wizardry combat.

Spirit_of_Adventure-1.jpg

Spirit_of_Adventure-4.jpg

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
It's really shitty and inscrutable. The only good thing about it is the graphics. The Realms of Arkania series is far better.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's been several years since I played it for the first time and the only negative thing I remember was the somewhat clunky UI.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Current Top 20 ranking of turn-based blobbers:

1. Wizardry 8 - 29 votes
  2. Might & Magic: World of Xeen - 21 votes
  3. Grimoire - 18 votes
  4. Might & Magic 6 - 16 votes
  5. Wizardry 7 - 16 votes
  6. Elminage Gothic - 15 votes
  7. Might & Magic 3 - 14 votes
  8. Wizardry 1 - 12 votes
  9. Wizardry 6 - 12 votes
  10. Dark Spire - 10 votes
  11. Might & Magic 7 -10 votes
  12. Might & Magic X - 9 votes
  13. Wizards & Warriors - 8 votes
  14. Might & Magic 1 - 8 votes
  15. Bard's Tale Trilogy - 7 votes
  16. Might & Magic 2 - 7 votes
  17. Paper Sorcerer - 6 votes
  18. Dragon Wars - 4 votes
  19. Might & Magic 8 - 4 votes
  20. Wizardry 5 - 4 votes

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I liked the ambition of Dragon Wars, but I hated both character progression and the combat style. Level and world design was good overall, but due to combat and char progression I see it as decidedly weaker than lots of other blobbers, not that the BT's are that good either compared to the W's or the early M&M's

Dragon Wars has about the worst encounter design and loot among the blobbers. The better writing, the skills and the C&C does not weight up for it; the end result was a game that was not as exciting as the Bard's Tale games.
A good game, but not among the best blobbers.

V_K

Arcane
Bard's Tale had encounter desing??! That was good, tell another one!

Current Top 20 ranking of turn-based blobbers:

1. Wizardry 8 - 29 votes
  2. Might & Magic: World of Xeen - 21 votes
  3. Grimoire - 18 votes
  4. Might & Magic 6 - 16 votes
  5. Wizardry 7 - 16 votes
  6. Elminage Gothic - 15 votes
  7. Might & Magic 3 - 14 votes
  8. Wizardry 1 - 12 votes
  9. Wizardry 6 - 12 votes
  10. Dark Spire - 10 votes
  11. Might & Magic 7 -10 votes
  12. Might & Magic X - 9 votes
  13. Wizards & Warriors - 8 votes
  14. Might & Magic 1 - 8 votes
  15. Bard's Tale Trilogy - 7 votes
  16. Might & Magic 2 - 7 votes
  17. Paper Sorcerer - 6 votes
  18. Dragon Wars - 4 votes
  19. Might & Magic 8 - 4 votes
  20. Wizardry 5 - 4 votes
QED. Yawn.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
You really think your system would give a different result? If anything, the relatively low number of votes would skew the results, so that games with just a couple of votes come out on top. You'd need a really big vote to change that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Back on the topic.

Wizardry 8 is by far, the best blobber of all times.

In my heart, Might & Magic III : Isles of Terra is a solid second.
It'd be amazing to get a remake for sounds effects sake to erase it's only flaw (due to SE config/compatibility issues).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
...said the guy with the Wizardry 7 avatar. Personally, I like W7 and Grimoire more than Brenda Romero's follow-up.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Well, give me a Wizardry 8 Dark Savant avatar and i switch right away.
I even cropped one (and a T'Rang) from the ending pics in order to submit it for avatar purposes and then i read about the conditions to do so and dropped it.

darksavant1.jpg

darksavant2.png

Dark-Savant.jpg

trang1.png

trang2.png

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Funnily enough, the one you have was created by yours truly. The conditions aren't really that strict.

P.S. The decline is visible even in the art style...

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

It was better than Dragon Wars', at least. There was a very limited set of enemies you could face in DW. BT was more unpredictable, and you never knew what loot would drop, making combat have more immediate rewards.

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane

It was better than Dragon Wars', at least. There was a very limited set of enemies you could face in DW. BT was more unpredictable, and you never knew what loot would drop, making combat have more immediate rewards.

And there was stuff like this:

images

Absolute classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom