Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Game development - related but more of the metadata kind.

Any of you esteemed gentlemen who can help translate Gleaner Heights's store page to any of the following languages (countries):
  • Argentina
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Colombia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong SAR
  • Hungary
  • India
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Mexico
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Singapore
  • Slovakia
  • South Africa
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • Turkey
  • United Arab Emirates
Please PM me. The text in question is peanuts, and so will be your payment if you request any. Thanks.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Games projects evolve over time. Mine certainly has...

2017:
2017-05.png

2018:

2019-07.png

2019:
2019-09.png

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
2017 was the best one.

I don't understand why people think that adding random colors make things look better. Not to mention the buttons from Hell.

The buttons are still in flux. Haven't settled on what they should look like yet.

As to the colors, none are random. Except for things that appear in the 3D window, everything in the game uses about six or seven colors total. They're repeated throughout to give the game a consistent feel. If you look at previous screenshots I posted, you'll see that's true. When I went from three colors to multiple colors, I still kept the number of colors used to a low number.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I wasn't happy with the buttons, and toro pointing it out led me to work on a version of the buttons that are a bit more similar to what I had before. I think this is what I'll probably go with.

2019-10.png

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I wasn't happy with the buttons, and toro pointing it out led me to work on a version of the buttons that are a bit more similar to what I had before. I think this is what I'll probably go with.

2019-10.png

It looks good. Don't worry about my screeching.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Overall it looks nice (although i think the border needs a little more detail). The main issue i see is that the art has too much "pillow shading" (explanation, although just google for pillow shading and you'll find tons of examples).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Character graphics look great. Did you do them yourself? How far along are you with the game?

Characters and icons were done by someone else who graciously donated the artwork to me.

As far as the game itself, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel when it comes to the actual systems that have been implemented. Doesn’t mean there isn’t a long way to go, though. Aside from the artwork mentioned above, it’s a one-man project.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
One last post; because I don't want to detract too much from others who want to highlight their own projects. Someone made a statement about "random colors" earlier, and I just wanted to dispel that statement.

With the exception of what's within the 3D view and picture window and what appears in the battlefield during combat, everything in the game uses a palette of about four colors (gray, red, yellow and green). This was done purposely. The original version of this game was monochrome, but when people suggested going full color, I decided to keep the colors low and in a style that reminded me of the colors on the Commodore 64, simply for nostalgia purposes.

Sometimes these colors indicate things (Green = Good, Yellow = Less Good, Red = Bad. Example: (Health - Green = Full Health, Yellow = Less Than Full Health, Red = Very Low Health)). Red is only used on occasion to break up the color scheme. These two screens will show that there is a kind of uniform color scheme going on (it's not as apparent on the main screen because I used red to break up some of the monotony).

SKILL SCREEN:
2019-11.png

INVENTORY SCREEN (Complete with unidentified magical items):
2019-12.png

pat

Arcane
Developer
I spent the whole week rewriting the UI in my 5e D&D roguelike to change from ASCII to graphical tiles:

giMEb7m.gif

pat

Arcane
Developer
That looks great, man.
Thanks, I’m hoping that it makes it much more accessible. I actually preferred the ASCII but a large proportion of the feedback I got was asking for proper graphics so here we are

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom