Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
love the crt effect

Alchemist

Arcane
Tonight I've been messing around with the Godot Engine. So far it seems very nice, though a bit lacking in documentation. Starting with something simple - I figured out the tile system and got a guy walking around.

godotRPG.png

r3jonwah85

Savant
Finally the weather is shitty again and the vacation days are over so one can get some work done without being told to do something outside (when you live at home it is your parents, later in life it is the girlfriend...). Anyway, implemented locked zones which needs a key in my level generator (each colored line is the main branch of a locked zone) and branches from the main path to add more exploration (and this is where the keys are placed so that the player has to go looking). Fixed bugs and more features, learned more real c++ (Unreal API is kind of forgiving) to deal with some stuff that Unreal did not like etc, all in all a pretty good week. Sorry for the long video and crappy/repetitive "art", I only do place holders to focus on the programming part for now (tiles are made to be able to implement features), I really want to get a artist in the future though...

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
I amused myself by running my isometric engine in development against the Fallout engine techdemo easter egg on the original CD:

65kWFGF.png

My how things change in 20 years. :D

My 2 minute grass tile is way better though, suck it Tim Cain.

zwanzig_zwoelf

SO

I rewrote the movement code from scratch, since original code was bloated and had too many issues (tweaking was tedious, some logic was off, etc etc). Now I can build crappy levels using cubes and jerk off to the results of muh hard work.
Also, some other changes/additions no one (probably) cares about.

Next step: add reactivity to environment and smooth the "beating against the wall" animation a little bit.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Paper Sorcerer vibe, I like this.
That's only because of the test texture. Paper Sorcerer art style can get really hard on the eyes after a while.

I plan to stick to something like this:
281414-devil-summoner-soul-hackers-sega-saturn-screenshot-conversation.png

r3jonwah85

Savant
That will be coming in the next step. Right now I just want to transfer all the heights over from the 2d map to the 3d one.

Found your main thread about the game, looks cool! But are you transfering the 2D maps by hand or do you import them and use them as height maps (after some conversion of course)? If you are not doing the latter I would really recommend this since it would not be that much of an effort and the content creation would be so much faster.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Found your main thread about the game, looks cool! But are you transfering the 2D maps by hand or do you import them and use them as height maps (after some conversion of course)? If you are not doing the latter I would really recommend this since it would not be that much of an effort and the content creation would be so much faster.

I imported it as a height map, but have to do a lot of hand work to make it look good.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I imported it as a height map, but have to do a lot of hand work to make it look good.

Did you try to blur the heigth map first? Even manually smudging it in 2D seems much easier and cleaner than adjusting the blocky 3D mesh. Never used unity though.

r3jonwah85

Savant

Did you try to blur the heigth map first? Even manually smudging it in 2D seems much easier and cleaner than adjusting the blocky 3D mesh. Never used unity though.

That was kind of my thought, using some kind of smoothing algorithm would probably be faster if you do not need hand touches everywhere, just use this library or something similar: http://www.aforgenet.com/framework/features/smoothing_filters.html

But since I do not know what end result you are after I am not sure if that approach is useful, but just in case.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Thank you both for the advice. :) I decided that the prior workflow was too time consuming, so I decided to use L3DT to make the design map then create a height map from it. It's going a lot faster than doing it in Unity3D.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Man, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but making trailers is so exhausting. Well, whatever, I've made a new one for the X Caeli, with new player/enemy sprites & stuff. We've also cannibalized the backgrounds from Cyberkast (it's pointless to make that game in the sci-fi setting, tbh) so we look even prettier. In motion, at the very least.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Nope, not a port. The code and the writing is 100% mine. I used a lot of open assets in my game, and bought many others, as I am no artist.

Flare stuff is CC-By SA 3.0 licensed, and credited here in my website. And also in a credits section which was the first thing I put in the Alpha main menu...

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Man, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but making trailers is so exhausting. Well, whatever, I've made a new one for the X Caeli, with new player/enemy sprites & stuff. We've also cannibalized the backgrounds from Cyberkast (it's pointless to make that game in the sci-fi setting, tbh) so we look even prettier. In motion, at the very least.

Eeeeeh.
The text looks like arial stuffies.

I'd spend a few minutes looking for the right font.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
The font is terribad, but I'm getting a nice Arcanum vibe from the visuals. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom