Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Ok, since this is a vaporware, bullshit rambling, codexian madness game dev thread, figured might as well put some of my own shit in there, for no reason whatsoever.

Concept:
- Tabletop simulation cRPG game with turn based combat with procedural simulated "GM total world control" mechanics.
- GURPS-like mechanics with detailed and crazy cumbersome concepts.
- <insert synopsis here whenever the fuck I can put that shit into words that I can understand>

Since I haven't done much shit, I'm still learning Unity and it's really totally uninteresting in simple pictures, I even made a totally useless and incomprehensible video for it, since it's even less interesting! :)

gonna take some time to process in quality I guess...

Here is how I "see" representation of turn base combat. That's just screens I took during my roll20 campaign but the art style and feel of it is there and apart from tokens (sadly all copyrighted, though I modified them to give a proper "miniature" feel), is very easy to do for me (and I have tons of assets already from my campaigns). These are square based mockups but the idea is of course to go full retard hexagons.

picture_005.JPG

picture_27.jpg

picture_61.jpg

picture_71.jpg

picture_28.jpg

That was a couple month back, with me only working here and there on actual coding (big mistake!!) and instead pushing papers around to design something small enough to be realistic but interesting enough to do. As said: total vapourware but heh, that's the fun of it.

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Eeeeeh.
The text looks like arial stuffies.

I'd spend a few minutes looking for the right font.

That's, like, whatever, because that's still not the final form of our game. In reality, turns out that people fucking hate shmups (and the worst part is that we're not a shmup so their fans also aren't that interested) so the only way we'll be attractive to anyone is by adding some nice anime boobs. Because people can't hate boobs, right? So our actual trailer is gonna be filled with hot chicks and that's where we'll put some real effort.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Ok, since this is a vaporware, bullshit rambling, codexian madness game dev thread, figured might as well put some of my own shit in there, for no reason whatsoever.
gonna take some time to process in quality I guess...

"The video is private"

NOW I am curious, dammit. What are you hiding!
:baka:

Alchemist

Arcane
mutonizer Your game sounds amazing! I like all of what you showed in the video, even in its beginning / placeholder state.
Hope it actually gets finished one day!

r3jonwah85

Savant
After having severe issues with my hands, fingers and forearms since the end of July I have finally been able to sit in front of the computer for more than a couple of minutes. First thing I started was the AI that is needed for my procedural Quake-like concept.

Now I just have to add calculations of damage so that they can die (same for the player) then I can throw them into the procedural levels.

r3jonwah85

Savant
I can't see the vid (all black), but kudos on being back to work, man.

Thanks! Yeah sorry about that, still uploading but will probably be done in a couple of minutes.

Btw, you game looks really nice and feature full, what tools are you using?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
Original font is tiny and useless. I found a fan-made alternative in Dwarf Fortress forums, but I don't know about distribution rights. ARGH.

Well, the TTF font will scale of course. If you have Freetype render it without anti-aliasing or subpixel hinting, and at a multiple of its original size, that's about as good as you're going to get.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been working on dynamic lighting, and particles. I'm not generating shadows though, because the performance cost on mobile wouldn't be worth the visual gain.

EDIT: put screenshots in spoiler

Dungeons feel much more alive now.

dungeon1.png

dungeon2.png

dungeon3.png

Also, towns got lamps. It was about time.

town1.png

town2.png

Some magical weapons will flash when they hit, too.

outdoor1.png

Some assets are open. Full credits at: http://exiledkingdoms.com/ek_credits.html

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

I've noticed that your ground textures are generally not on par with the rest of the graphics. For example here not only would darker ground tiles mesh better with the other elements, but they would also make the other graphics stand out more. And your paving stones are rectangular, so they don't tile well if you try and mix directions. Personally i would have picked a dark dirt texture (or darker grass) and put some cobbles here and there, but as a placeable, just like the two patches of grass on the top middle.

Likewise your cobble texture (top pic) would be better if darker and slightly tinted (cause your building walls are mostly grey, right ?).
The worst IMHO are the grass and the dungeon grounds : they're too bright, the grass is the same color as the trees (again, just slightly alter the tint), and they both should mesh more with the bottom of the rock walls, which are really dark.
Anyway my two cents, good luck with your project.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
I've noticed that your ground textures are generally not on par with the rest of the graphics. For example here not only would darker ground tiles mesh better with the other elements, but they would also make the other graphics stand out more. And your paving stones are rectangular, so they don't tile well if you try and mix directions. Personally i would have picked a dark dirt texture (or darker grass) and put some cobbles here and there, but as a placeable, just like the two patches of grass on the top middle.

Likewise your cobble texture (top pic) would be better if darker and slightly tinted (cause your building walls are mostly grey, right ?).
The worst IMHO are the grass and the dungeon grounds : they're too bright, the grass is the same color as the trees (again, just slightly alter the tint), and they both should mesh more with the bottom of the rock walls, which are are really dark.
Anyway my two cents, good luck with your project.

Thanks, I am a terrible at anything art-related, so your feedback is appreciated. Darker grounds (and more varied, and with more props) sounds like the way to go. However, this looks much better on mobile...

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Thanks, I am a terrible at anything art-related, so your feedback is appreciated. Darker grounds (and more varied, and with more props) sounds like the way to go. However, this looks much better on mobile...

Don't worry, apart from that your graphics are alright. Another thing though is that the tiling of the textures in the bottom pic is a bit noticeable, contrary to the other textures. You could tweak it or choose a more regular one (the little defects of a texture have a tendency to create jarring patterns when you tile them).
And last thing a game that successfully uses (vaguely) similar assets is Eschalon, the style is not quite the same but you could draw inspiration from ithe way it handles assets...

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've noticed how I'm actually way more productive now when I'm working and got less time to do stuff.
I'll share some stuff from my latest abandonware, soon, probably, maybe ~~

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
RPG Maker MV releasing soon~

We should host another Codex RPGMaker contest to celebrate that occasion, Zed ~
what's the price tag

like u can read in the post above I am very much busy with a game already!

felipepepe was gonna host the next one

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom