Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finally got greenlit. Despite taking almost a year, it's a bit too early, lol - I've only just now found ourselves an anime artist (a really cool one, will post something here eventually) and I don't want to get any kind of release until we get at least some promotional material in that department. Not to mention that I need to move out of my city before I can get all the legal stuff done. Anyways, it's still nice to solve that issue (even if getting released on steam doesn't mean much nowadays).

So while we're polishing X Caeli visuals (I have some nice game mechanical plans, but I'm saving them for the Early Access), I'm designing our next game. I can even post a little snippet of our schemes from our development wiki, I'm sure that people are totally gonna appreciate this one:
illuminati.jpg
CYKA BLYAT, do you need my help with the music? ;)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
CYKA BLYAT, do you need my help with the music? ;)

Let us have some kind of a technical demo first - without a demo, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to explain what kind of project is that.

And keep in mind that, if that's not clear, that's gonna be a totally christian project. We won't be doing something corny like Super Noah Ark 3D, it's gonna be more grimdark - basically, theurges battling satanic demons in the profane underground mazes. But still, I doubt that's an alignment that many on the codex agree with.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
And keep in mind that, if that's not clear, that's gonna be a totally christian project. We won't be doing something corny like Super Noah Ark 3D, it's gonna be more grimdark - basically, theurges battling satanic demons in the profane underground mazes. But still, I doubt that's an alignment that many on the codex agree with.
Oboi, count me in and keep me updated. :bounce:

RPG settings that are basically medieval fantasy Europe "but we took out the Christianity lol" are gay. And sadly the norm. Your angle is welcome Pope Amole.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I am down with that too. The Church was a powerful force, a defining characteristic of medieval Europe. I wouldn't mind playing a part in it. Sounds better than the usual "lone wolf with superpowers" RPG scenarios.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Crusades are awesome, but imho they've been done to death already. It would require a well studied approach, to make it interesting.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I'd love to see a Jagged Alliance 2-inspired game, but set somewhere in the Medieval European town, but you control a party of muslims who must deliver tons of Allah's love and justice to dem infidels through mass beheadings and bloodshed while taking drugs during short moments of silence.

Also
converting teen girls to Islam and thus getting a place to hide while increasing your endurance stat.

Shit, I'm getting too excited when I think of such a game.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
I'd love to see a Jagged Alliance 2-inspired game, but set somewhere in the Medieval European town, but you control a party of muslims who must deliver tons of Allah's love and justice to dem infidels through mass beheadings and bloodshed while taking drugs during short moments of silence.

Also
converting teen girls to Islam and thus getting a place to hide while increasing your endurance stat.

Shit, I'm getting too excited when I think of such a game.
Or you could capture cities and take Jazyya from non belivers for the sake of:takemyjewgold:

r3jonwah85

Savant
Been working with Unity again combined with the Google Cardboard SDK for my day job, this inspired me to start making a Descent clone that I intend to make playable in VR. Google Cardboard was way more impressive than I expected (with the right headset and phone; I have been using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 and some different headsets like FreeFly VR, BoboVR Z3 and Shinecon VR). Anyway, spent the evening to get basic movement working and it works pretty OK, have to install Descent and play some to get the feeling right since I have not touched the game since 1997 or something like that.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's actually a term for Descent movement, it's called 6DoF (Six degrees of freedom). Cool demo!

Jonny Ree

Bouncyrock Entertainment
Developer
Been working with Unity again combined with the Google Cardboard SDK for my day job, this inspired me to start making a Descent clone that I intend to make playable in VR. Google Cardboard was way more impressive than I expected (with the right headset and phone; I have been using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 and some different headsets like FreeFly VR, BoboVR Z3 and Shinecon VR). Anyway, spent the evening to get basic movement working and it works pretty OK, have to install Descent and play some to get the feeling right since I have not touched the game since 1997 or something like that.

Very cool! The turns are looking really satisfying

I'm keeping with the boardgame theme and made a plastic looking shader for my flame pieces.
fire.png

r3jonwah85

Savant
There's actually a term for Descent movement, it's called 6DoF (Six degrees of freedom). Cool demo!

Very cool! The turns are looking really satisfying

I'm keeping with the boardgame theme and made a plastic looking shader for my flame pieces.
http://bouncyrock.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/fire.png

Thanks both of you!

Jonny Ree: Man your graphics are really to die for, when will more general info be released?

Wanted to add some more mechanics to the movement to allow for more dynamic level design later on, so there are now two modes: first mode is normal 6DOF, the other one is close to normal FPS-mode but with a jetpack added.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
@r3jonwah85,

I think you need to add some code to the camera. Instead of stopping abruptly like it does now, add a little momentum to it, to it gradually stops. I think it would look better.

Zep--

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Finally got some free time to continue working on muh gayme.

Jerky movement is no more, but the speed needs additional tweaking and slopes/stairs aren't implemented yet. Also, the current 'graphics style' is just a placeholder until I'm done with the majority of gameplay-related stuff. Not as impressive as Alchemist's style, but eh.

r3jonwah85

Savant
Anyone tried yet? https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

EDIT: I had heard bad things about CryEngine before (this is branched from that) and so far I can see why. Nothing is really intuitive, hell it took me 10 minutes to figure out how to select the default ocean and get rid of it... User interface also looks like bloated AutoCAD style, cant have folder to organize assets (at least not what I could find), have not yet found any way to toggle the lighting between unlit and lit, no default outline of the scene entities for selection, only way to get rid of terrain seem to be using ugly tricks, it seems as if physics stop working outside of specified terrain borders... Supposed to be even worse when it comes to actual coding since the documentation is severely lacking.

Now I might be stupid but I see no reason why anyone would use this over Unity 5 or UE4.

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I want to make a 90s type isometric WRPG.
EDIT: Is there some way to extract Fallout 2's game engine? That's the kind of thing I want, albeit in a fantasy setting.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Arcane
I want to make a 90s type isometric WRPG.
Have a look at the Godot Engine. It even includes an isometric 2D demo project (with realtime lighting!) to get you started:
z2z9EKn.jpg

The main drawback is a lack of complete documentation at this point. It's otherwise a very powerful, yet lean and mean engine, and the dedicated 2D mode is nice. 100% free and open-source too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom