Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship Combat Beta Thread

Takamori

Learned
Some thoughts regarding STR, maybe should give AP or Cost reduction for melee attacks and heavy weaponry besides just working around Armor Penalty. I know in the final product STR probably will let players skip or win some roleplay situations during quests but still requires some beef up (no pun intended).

Deleted Member 22431

I'm pretty sure VD tried this with DR (AoD also had an AWESUM MOED with an extra good character), the problem is that a lot of people will not be happy until they can select HARDEST MODE and still have an easy time.

We talked about this. Players want to play a game that is labeled as a cRPG but where builds don't matter and the game world strokes your ego. It's simple as that and there is all that needs to be said about it. The discussion about difficult levels tries to solve a unsolvable problem. The developer should either drop his design principles and make a popamole indulgent shooter with stats or move on doing what he thinks is the right thing.

Deleted Member 22431

Some thoughts regarding STR, maybe should give AP or Cost reduction for melee attacks and heavy weaponry besides just working around Armor Penalty. I know in the final product STR probably will let players skip or win some roleplay situations during quests but still requires some beef up (no pun intended).

It should improve DR for each point of STR over 6 because you do become a slow target when you are a tank. The sacrifices you need to make in PER and DEX are not worth it.

Also, CON should also diminish the armor penalty and increase DR too.

DEX and PER are making STR and CON look like dump stats.

Takamori

Learned
I wouldn't say CON stat is a dump stat due to how HP progression works in this game. Like you don't receive any new HP points besides from CON and Feats, also there is the fact that it affects how many implants you can have shoved in your body and Im inclined to believe that we will have a large inventory of implants to choose from in the main game so CON I'm more cautious to call it a dump stat. STR indeed its underperforming compared to the other stats. Intellect I would need like the Early Access to say about it, how having an "accelerated" progression from Int feats would affect gameplay wise.

Speaking of which, any ETA on EA or too muddy waters to be certain regarding a release date ? @Colony team.

Deleted Member 22431

Nobody is using that feat that gives you one more point in a stat of your choice?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

We are working on an update which includes some changes to improve the importance of STR:

- Changed initiative values from stats. Dex provides 6 points, Per 4 points. This makes feat, armor and armor handling have a bigger effect on initiative.
- Added a new derived stat called Recoil Control: Every point in STR adds +3 THC for bursts and double shot.
- Controlled Burst: Bursts and Double Shot cost 1 AP less to use. Requires Strength 8.
- Armored Warfare now also adds +5 armor handling.
- New Feat: Heavy Hitter. Melee: Stagger +15, +0.15 Critical Damage. Knockdown Attack THC +10. Requires Strength 8.

About armor and DR. We are going to make some tweaks later (improving the DR of the high tier ones), but keep in mind that our goal is to have armor play a big part in damage absorption, but not being the only source, and to achieve "immunity" to damage you need to stack different sources (feats, implants and energy shield). Nevertheless, we will be increasing it a bit more.

Regarding CON, I can only say: Implants.

Deleted Member 22431

Read this thing if you want to reduce your IQ and develop cancer:

Originally posted by LDiCesare:
Is D&D a bad system... because you can make a mage with INT 10 and STR 16 and despair that he's good for nothing?

»ƲßƐƦ« 25 Apr @ 6:10pm
Yes. D&D is prob the worst system ever. It's too random. Might as well just gamble or play the lottery. Ride the luck wave and buy a ticket. There's a chance that you can win!

Originally posted by Judge-Mental-One:
Most good rpg's have at least a few points of whatever type to assign at the get go to help you make the kind of char you want.

»ƲßƐƦ« 25 Apr @ 6:10pm
Is World of Warcraft a good RPG? Did you have to put points into your character when making it? Or did you pick your race, class, faction, and then build your character from the ground up through story and progression?

»ƲßƐƦ« 16 hours ago
Here's some food for thought... as I mentioned before Chrono Trigger is regarded as one of the best RPGs ever made. It seems like IGN a well known publishing and gaming entity agrees with me. https://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-rpgs/1

In CT you start with a blank slate, and build your stats as you go. RPGs are about character development, story, items, and of course FUN! It's an immersive world where you get to start from zero and build yourself up into a hero through progression. You can disagree of course but this is what a good RPG is.

»ƲßƐƦ« 12 hours ago
Yup call the leading video gaming publication having "no clue about video games" !!! That's awesome lol. Yes DnD is tabletop, and yes most RPGs get their roots from DnD only because it was the first of it's kind. But that doesn't make it the best. The first car ever made isn't the best car. Espeically now, LOL.

Takamori

Learned
Regarding the easy mode , just use cheat engine or cheat codes, thats what we did when we were clueless kids playing video games. Asking a developer to use resources and time to develop a easy mode is an issue from this last gen of people. No learning curve allowed, no challenges because they dont want to face the stage where they are clueless and have to learn the system.
As for the steam brainlet comments, retards gonna retard I guess?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Regarding CON, I can only say: Implants.
implants are gut but they're 100% metaknowledge. you have whole Resistance tab, maybe it can reduce damage from crits etc.
I find odd Int doesn't give you +neural resist. dump int for 200 kills achivo run, get raped by vorlons, balance.

Double Shot cost 1 AP less to use. Requires Strength 8.
more buffs to shotguns! :happytrollboy:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
We are working on an update which includes some changes to improve the importance of STR:

[...]
- Added a new derived stat called Recoil Control: Every point in STR adds +3 THC for bursts and double shot.
- Controlled Burst: Bursts and Double Shot cost 1 AP less to use. Requires Strength 8.
[...]

I think these in particular are really good - you can now go for very purposefully burst-oriented builds to the degree that you can do reaction builds, and STR definitely gets its own niche with that.

Binky

Cipher
No gadget SMG run. This was brutal. Much harder than the no implant rifle run. Was easy enough in the beginning. Stomped Big Jim without breaking a sweat (lost only 3 hp). And then I got to the pistolero group and things got serious. Had to liberally start using grenades, reactions, aggro, cover, the works. Captain Pistolero & the Deacons were bad enough, but Carter was on another level.

Wouldn't have made it without picking the fast draw feat. Had to use a stasis grenade, a flashbang, gas grenade, aggro, burst fire, aimed shots, cover, and reactions - and still barely beat him. One mistake was enough for this guy & his friends to send me to the happy hunting grounds. Don't know how many tries it took, but it was at least 10. Mutants were easy & power armor was very welcome for the last two fights (If power armor counts as a gadget, I don't care). Finally found a use for the regen stims. They served me well in both fights.

Man, this run was something else. Aimed bursts at point blank range did zero damage to some guys - had to use Marauder's aimed shots to kill them. Now I was the moron with a sad SMG. And they were Elmer Fudd on steroids. Should have tagged critical strike instead of armor.

Stats & gear before Winfield
x1dufcs.jpg

Xr5EquT.jpg
Aaaand I think I'm done till Early Access.

Special thanks to the Wuhan bat connoisseur for providing me with the extra time for all these runs.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
We talked about this. Players want to play a game that is labeled as a cRPG but where builds don't matter and the game world strokes your ego. It's simple as that and there is all that needs to be said about it. The discussion about difficult levels tries to solve a unsolvable problem. The developer should either drop his design principles and make a popamole indulgent shooter with stats or move on doing what he thinks is the right thing.

So what ? There's always a solution ...
Like adding a Kek mode in which you start with 8 in every attribute + 2 free points to distribute.

Who cares if retards pass all the Attributes and skill checks ? If that's all they need to be happy and leave a positive review (and tell their Kek friends about Colony Ship), who are we to deny them that ?

Deleted Member 22431

Like adding a Kek mode in which you start with 8 in every attribute + 2 free points to distribute.

Who cares if retards pass all the Attributes and skill checks ? If that's all they need to be happy and leave a positive review (and tell their Kek friends about Colony Ship), who are we to deny them that ?
Yeah, and they could also change the whole gameworld so that the player could act like the chosen one. I'm sure that would work. When we talk about solutions we are supposed to take into account the developers' philosophy. Saying that there is a solution by abandoning the whole approach is not a solution, it's a travesty. There is no easy solution to cRPG illiteracy and laziness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm pretty sure VD tried this with DR (AoD also had an AWESUM MOED with an extra good character), the problem is that a lot of people will not be happy until they can select HARDEST MODE and still have an easy time.

I think there is absolutely nothing wrong in out shittiest of times to make difficulty option that aimed at pleasing the crowd and making money/or preventing money loss, like calling it Hard but instead make it easy, like that guy Vince quoted who felt it was insulting for Him to play not on Hard but want it to be easy.
There is nothing wrong with it, as it seriously affect your sales/review, and for example Stig told he will do something like that cause review bombing on sales irrtate hi enough.
The oly question is to how exactly to execute in a benefical way.

I find odd Int doesn't give you +neural resist.

Or Int on the contrary should gives you more damage from such attacks?

No gadget SMG run.

Man
:shredder:
you are a hero...

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Would you like to play on normal difficulty... or on the DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE difficulty? CAUTION: THIS DIFFICULTY IS ONLY FOR TRUE HARDCORE GAMERS. Do not pick this difficulty if you aren't truly hardcore or truly a gamer – we're talking Witcher 3 Dead March difficulty here! If you aren't a hardcore gamer that knows his way around hardcore RPGs like Skyrim or Mass Effect, do not even consider picking this!
There. Put a disclaimer like this under the easy mode and you can be sure no person of prestigious taste will touch it while all the mouthbreathers will feel happy about beating the game on the Dark Souls difficulty.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Would you like to play on normal difficulty... or on the DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE difficulty? CAUTION: THIS DIFFICULTY IS ONLY FOR TRUE HARDCORE GAMERS. Do not pick this difficulty if you aren't truly hardcore or truly a gamer – we're talking Witcher 3 Dead March difficulty here! If you aren't a hardcore gamer that knows his way around hardcore RPGs like Skyrim or Mass Effect, do not even consider picking this!
There. Put a disclaimer like this under the easy mode and you can be sure no person of prestigious taste will touch it while all the mouthbreathers will feel happy about beating the game on the Dark Souls difficulty.
The best solution would of course be a global registry of people who need to be lied to about their difficulty options, allowing developers to tailor the descriptions and names to the person playing.

Tigranes

Arcane

People don't use that mode. People play on the hardest difficulty then complain it's too hard.

Binky

Cipher
I find the "I play games to relax" reviews/comments the most amusing.

"I play games to relax, which is why I buy hardcore games and play on the hardest setting. I have a job and family. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ TUTORIALS OR LEARN THE RULES! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU! YU R SEDISTS AND YOR GAME IS FOR MAZOHISTS! "

Darth Canoli

Arcane
People don't use that mode. People play on the hardest difficulty then complain it's too hard.

Just call it the Hardezzzzzzt mode and put it outside the "chain"

Story mode - Wimp mode - jrpg fans mode - Normal mode - Hard mode - Impossible mode - Superhuman mode

$$!!!!!Hardezzzt kek mode!!!!!$$

They won't be able to resist...

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
How I see it - to pull this off you need careful wording.
Like really careful.
Don't lie directly - it's always bad.
I dunno if there is law about that - if yes then it's no go.
In western mindset if you didn;t break the law you are saint no matter what, the law is cacred cow you must abide, no matter how bad, stupid or harmful it is. It's like serving in the army - your whole life.
So, I think better course of action will be doing like scammers doing it - use such wording that doesn't directly states anything, but in victim's eyes might imply something he want and need.
So, for example name one difficulty level as Hard (or some another word that guys like that "I want play on Hard but easy way" like to hear) - in description tell them it's for veterans (veteras of Stardew Valley and Shower With the Dad no less but don't tell them that), an next difficulty level name Tactician - tell them its for guys who like tactical decisions that matter.
There shouldn't be clear indiaction which one is easier and which one is harder.
Vagueness and hints only.
Add Easy difficulty level, that's first. Second will be Tactician. Last will be Hard - this implies that Tactican easier than Hard cause it goes from Easy to Hard.

Something like that.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Elhoim could we get a bit more of hairstyles? I mean, theare are modern "dangergirl" ones, so could you add at least a couple old-fashined, cause who knows which tastes and nostalgia someone could develop i generation ship - maybe even from Victorian era, something like this
https://yandex.ru/images/search?text=прически викторианской эпохи&stype=image&lr=215&source=wiz
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Причёски_викторианской_эпохи

Loose long hair was a symbol of female sexuality, which was severely suppressed by Victorian morality; in society, a woman could not appear in this form, the image of a woman not fully dressed, with her hair not coiffed and at least partially unbound, was considered obscene

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elhoim could we get a bit more of hairstyles? I mean, theare are modern "dangergirl" ones, so could you add at least a couple old-fashined, cause who knows which tastes and nostalgia someone could develop i generation ship - maybe even from Victorian era, something like this
https://yandex.ru/images/search?text=прически викторианской эпохи&stype=image&lr=215&source=wiz
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Причёски_викторианской_эпохи

Loose long hair was a symbol of female sexuality, which was severely suppressed by Victorian morality; in society, a woman could not appear in this form, the image of a woman not fully dressed, with her hair not coiffed and at least partially unbound, was considered obscene
No. Our limited resources are getting more and more limited. Our artist has been working on hair styles for weeks now and we still don't have beards yet. So I can ask her to do more hairstyles or things that actually matter.

Overall, we'll have 8 male hairstyles, 8 female hair styles, 7 moustache/beard types, so hopefully it will be enough. We have a single hair style with a shaved side, which, as mentioned earlier, makes perfect sense due to the datajacks.

aN4N4Gt.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom