Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Mauman

Learned
Punk hair? Isn't that more like non-binary hair?
With that face? More like Anime hair.

non-binary hair generally requires a MUCH uglier face.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
even tougher robot fight.
the one in
mission control
? I refuse to believe that is soloable without skill checks :-D

think the biggest downside of solo character is that can only bring 3 consumables without spending extra AP on it. throwing stuff does not miss and makes even skill monkey useful in combat mid/late game.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Having started a choice-heavy, sci-fi themed RPG, I didn't think twice and took a 'scientific prodigy INT 10 guy' with some DEX and PER for some shooting. As the first feat I chose the bonus exp and at the second level the second bonus exp feat too. I am still in the beginning, but so far I have waltzed through 90% of encounters like a hot knife through butter, defusing heated situations, stealing everything, scavenging every electronic successfully, even talking everybody into anything except the armor vendor...

For the non-hero difficulty this surely raises eyebrows :D

But don't get me wrong, I like the game already. It's just that I hope it gets harder later on?

It wont.
Game got dumbed down for accessibility. So finishing game on combat paths on hardest difficulty (Underdog) can be done without really subpar party, built with little thought.

Dungeon rats actually asked to manage resources and make smart decisions if you wanted a win. Here - supposedly on decaying spaceship with scarce resources - you are given plenty of ammo, plenty of medicits, gadgets. etc loot bonanza. Which makes 0 sense even from setting reasons (resources are scarce, you are conserving them and trying your best to manage them wisely).

Üstad

Arcane
image.png

That's a 73% chance to hit against my dodge tank character, with maxed dexterity, a +evasion upgrade chip for his motor cortex, artful dodger, the gladiator feat (I think, the melee one that gives you +dodge?), and true grit (+6 evasion when not in cover). The highest evasion it is possible to have, unless I have missed something obvious. All to bring the enemy's to-hit chance from 100% down to 73%. Not even a noteworthy enemy.
Balance patch when?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
While Colony Ship did not reach absurdity of some other titles like "steel arrows and potions of healing lying in trashcans, scattered everywhere" it really tries to.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Holly molly, the first fight (against the three frogs) made me reconsider everything. I fancied my characters good shots, but they got their asses kicked so thoroughly, I felt the pain behind the monitor myself.

After several attempts, I reloaded an earlier save and went back to don the sturdiest armors I could find and afford for Evans, The Newfoundedly Unwilling Tank. I re-tagged shotguns instead of rifles for him, purchased the Street Sweeper, and a grenade. I also gave him the gadget shield instead of my curious, fragile, scientific self. Then, I reloaded the fight several times to experiment properly with the initial positioning (for the sake of learning how the combat works, not for the sake of scum-saving), and then, with Evans being downed and me scoring a tremendously lucky spray-hit against the last frog being down to 1 HP left—which would've killed me in one or two rounds anyway—I emerged victorious. All that for the first combat in the game, my characters being at 1s-2nd level. Phew.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Holly molly, the first fight (against the three frogs) made me reconsider everything. I fancied my characters good shots, but they got their asses kicked so thoroughly, I felt the pain behind the monitor myself.

After several attempts, I reloaded an earlier save and went back to don the sturdiest armors I could find and afford for Evans, The Newfoundedly Unwilling Tank. I re-tagged shotguns instead of rifles for him, purchased the Street Sweeper, and a grenade. I also gave him the gadget shield instead of my curious, fragile, scientific self. Then, I reloaded the fight several times to experiment properly with the initial positioning (for the sake of learning how the combat works, not for the sake of scum-saving), and then, with Evans being downed and me scoring a tremendously lucky spray-hit against the last frog being down to 1 HP left—which would've killed me in one or two rounds anyway—I emerged victorious. All that for the first combat in the game, my characters being at 1-2 level. Phew.

"don the sturdiest armors" is only viable choice for combats, since evade simply does not work well

in Dungeon rats and in AoD you had Evade or Block as working defence, here you only have Block (Armor).

Decline: from 2 choice in combat how to defend we got down to 1 choice of defence.

Turn_BASED

Educated
Game got dumbed down for accessibility. So finishing game on combat paths on hardest difficulty (Underdog) can be done without really subpar party, built with little thought.
did you not also just say

if you make your character even slightly poorly, even a little bit out of line with what the developers had in mind for the type of character wanted you to make, you will die, or get stuck and not be able to proceed.

Which one is it ESL-nigger

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
image.png

That's a 73% chance to hit against my dodge tank character, with maxed dexterity, a +evasion upgrade chip for his motor cortex, artful dodger, the gladiator feat (I think, the melee one that gives you +dodge?), and true grit (+6 evasion when not in cover). The highest evasion it is possible to have, unless I have missed something obvious. All to bring the enemy's to-hit chance from 100% down to 73%. Not even a noteworthy enemy.
Balance patch when?

They cant even use "You cant dodge bullets" reasoning from fanboys. It was melee (!) attack.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

if you make your character even slightly poorly, even a little bit out of line with what the developers had in mind for the type of character wanted you to make, you will die, or get stuck and not be able to proceed.

In second sentence i was talking about "optimal' path. Newsflash: from start to finish you are basically on rails.
If you follow optimal path, which developers intend you to take, game is very easy.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What is this, harsh criticism of the future Codex 2023 GOTY? Trouble in paradise?

So are Whisper's takes just typical drama queen currentyear gaymer bitching or is there something to it?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

After several attempts, I reloaded an earlier save and went back to don the sturdiest armors I could find and afford for Evans, The Newfoundedly Unwilling Tank. I re-tagged shotguns instead of rifles for him, purchased the Street Sweeper, and a grenade. I also gave him the gadget shield instead of my curious, fragile, scientific self. Then, I reloaded the fight several times to experiment properly with the initial positioning (for the sake of learning how the combat works, not for the sake of scum-saving), and then, with Evans being downed and me scoring a tremendously lucky spray-hit against the last frog being down to 1 HP left—which would've killed me in one or two rounds anyway—I emerged victorious. All that for the first combat in the game, my characters being at 1-2 level. Phew.

"don the sturdiest armors" is only viable choice for combats, since evade simply does not work well

in Dungeon rats and in AoD you had Evade or Block as working defence, here you only have Block (Armor).

Decline: from 2 choice in combat how to defend we got down to 1 choice of defence.
Well you can do both.

Tbh. the Gadgets and energy armor is where it's at high armor or evasion does not really matter you are not sturdy enough to survive much of anything.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What is this, harsh criticism of the future Codex 2023 GOTY? Trouble in paradise?

So are Whisper's takes just typical drama queen currentyear gaymer bitching or is there something to it?

compared to what though?

Starfield? Bear Sex simulator?

The game is pretty good and on point even with some hiccups I prefer to play it over those without any question.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron

Well you can do both.

Tbh. the Gadgets and energy armor is where it's at high armor or evasion does not really matter you are not sturdy enough to survive much of anything.
Well, I like the game in general so far, so, to be honest, I don't really mind that this or that feature is not working to its fullest potential. Then again, I understand. Maybe they'll listen to reactions and redo evasion in future patches. It would surely be nice.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Going with a melee evasion build.
I don't recommend it. Not a fan of evasion based builds unless you're solo. The skill requires a lot of work to hit the thresholds where you can reliably survive with the stat; said thresholds you probably won't be hitting in a party or duo since teammates will absorb precious evasion LP which you need. Even then, you still need supplementary sources to get the most out of the stat, such as smokies, gadgets, stims, and feats with conditional effects - like Artful Dodger. Additionally, in some specific late game encounters you will still struggle against high accuracy enemies. I suggest rolling with the true and tested Juggernaut build. Very easy to play with. The general theme is stacking as much DR as you can with True Grit, Juggernaut, Subbdermal Armor, Heavy Armor, and Cellular Regeneration mutation. You can reach some silly levels of DR.
Even fanboys tell that "don the sturdiest armors" (c) in The optimalpath. In game about choices, combat choices and build choices, included.

I wonder how developers managed to get balance just right for Dungeon rats in 1 year of development and fail so hard after 7 years of Colony Ship development.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Whisper learned that I was born in Ukraine, which was more than he could handle. Now all our games are shit.

Writing honest opinion about mediocre game makes me racist somehow. Ok, whatever.
You can add that i am antisemite and have toxic masculinity, if you like.

Does not make game Colony Ship better, anyway, if you call critics racists or something.

Sòren

Arcane

i still don't know if he even played the game...

In second sentence i was talking about "optimal' path. Newsflash: from start to finish you are basically on rails.
If you follow optimal path, which developers intend you to take, game is very easy.

there is no optimal path. there are drawbacks to any decision; you can have a party of four and tagged every science/thief skill, but will receive less exp etc.

Going with a melee evasion build.
I don't recommend it. Not a fan of evasion based builds unless you're solo. The skill requires a lot of work to hit the thresholds where you can reliably survive with the stat; said thresholds you probably won't be hitting in a party or duo since teammates will absorb precious evasion LP which you need. Even then, you still need supplementary sources to get the most out of the stat, such as smokies, gadgets, stims, and feats with conditional effects - like Artful Dodger. Additionally, in some specific late game encounters you will still struggle against high accuracy enemies. I suggest rolling with the true and tested Juggernaut build. Very easy to play with. The general theme is stacking as much DR as you can with True Grit, Juggernaut, Subbdermal Armor, Heavy Armor, and Cellular Regeneration mutation. You can reach some silly levels of DR.
Even fanboys tell that "don the sturdiest armors" (c) in The optimalpath. In game about choices, combat choices and build choices, included.

I wonder how developers managed to get balance just right for Dungeon rats in 1 year of development and fail so hard after 7 years of Colony Ship development.

sturdiest armor on every party member doesn't work if you get heavy penalties, initiative penalties especially. builds and feats are easy to figure out, once you know the mechanics, but it's stupid to say that you will customize everyone the same way. you will need a tank, under most circumstances.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Vault Dweller if you pick up air purifier parts in the Hydroponics before talking to Zeke, the quest log still says "bring purifier to Zeke".

Would be nice to change the description to something like "i found an air purifier, maybe some technician in the Pit could find it useful".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom