Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Thanks, given that the "Lone Wolf" benefits don't really matter if you don't fight, I think I'll at least recruit Evans for his computer skills. Which starting feats and tags do you recommend?
as I said, if you go with party you must ensure that everyone got sneak as I think there are areas where everyone needs to go through.
FYI lone wolf got powerful sneak benefit: +2AP.
BTW I just had random thought: I dont think you can get it without talking skills because of habitat: you wont be able to get to any faction leader.
You will need someone with 8PER in order to find hidden toilet entrance in mission control. Optional area but id say you want it.

Id go solo, 10int(not necessarily mastermind), 10dex(fast runner is very useful for stealth, your choice), 8per. Alternatively you take gifted to get charisma and extra disposition. Tag persuasion or streetwise, computers, electronics, lockpick, sneak, CS. In more or less that order, put +1 char gen points into sneak, CS and talking. Balance sneak/talking quest resolutions but you wont have to worry too much in here.

flushfire

Augur
After 2 complete playthroughs I now feel that tagging Sneak on anyone that's planning to also take Skill Monkey is a waste. So 2 skills that for sure shouldn't be tagged, +1 that most of the time shouldn't be tagged.

And IDK if I missed some checks, but it seems just the 100% bonus to Biotech from the Healing Factor feat isn't enough to get it to 9. Just tag isn't enough either, but at least with a tag it gets close enough that a token and repairing a bunch of implants would get it there.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
And IDK if I missed some checks, but it seems just the 100% bonus to Biotech from the Healing Factor feat isn't enough to get it to 9. Just tag isn't enough either, but at least with a tag it gets close enough that a token and repairing a bunch of implants would get it there.
surprising, i did get there with healing factor alone. How for away are you? perhaps you can try repairing some implants? Oh and I had skill monkey too

oscar

Arcane
Tavar Comp/Elec/Lockpick are the golden trio for gaining access to loot/areas/content + some notable encounter resolution options. I would prioritise those.

You can sneak pretty well with no investment; a character may choose a feat or two to become Sneak Master, especially for your planned run. Faythe is probably the ideal Skill Monkey Companion.

Never invest anything into steal. Steal is not a skill. It is an illusion.

Yep sneak and steal are nice to have but definitely not worth a tag. Hell my completely untrained in stealth protagonist could do a lot of late game stealth sections successfully just with a well-upgraded cloaking field and taking his armour off. I'd add biotech to the same category. Just pick one person to do it and stick with them (Jed or Knurl or who ever the hell really). Get them the training at Hydroponics. There's so many implants to extract that they'll naturally end up with a strong score even without a tag.

Comp/elec/lockpick tags are worth it even on a fully combat-oriented party.

On another note the Azrael fight was really fun. Felt like a reversal of typical rpg battles with about the fifteen of us vs the already heavily damaged three cyborgs. I was pretty much out of power cells too so had to pour a shitload of ammo into them (the one mook that came along with an axe proved super useful actually). Big Terminator vibes.

flushfire

Augur
surprising, i did get there with healing factor alone. How for away are you? perhaps you can try repairing some implants? Oh and I had skill monkey too
Yeah, Healing Factor + Skill Monkey can get it to 9 pretty early. I only had Healing Factor bonus, no tags, no tokens. 1200/2000 by the time Zeta visits the Armory w/ all fights done and all available areas explored, so not much else to level it with.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Yep sneak and steal are nice to have but definitely not worth a tag. Hell my completely untrained in stealth protagonist could do a lot of late game stealth sections successfully just with a well-upgraded cloaking field and taking his armour off. I'd add biotech to the same category. Just pick one person to do it and stick with them (Jed or Knurl or who ever the hell really). Get them the training at Hydroponics. There's so many implants to extract that they'll naturally end up with a strong score even without a tag.
sneak tag is useful for tavar as he will be balancing speech and sneak encounters plus its not like he got better option for his run

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Are there any long term downsides to taking bounties, like
On another note the Azrael fight was really fun. Felt like a reversal of typical rpg battles with about the fifteen of us vs the already heavily damaged three cyborgs. I was pretty much out of power cells too so had to pour a shitload of ammo into them (the one mook that came along with an axe proved super useful actually). Big Terminator vibes.
Tough fight. I have to go back and stock up on cells. None of my other weapons penetrate DR enough to counteract their fast regen.

agris

Arcane
Patron
inspired by Tigranes love for Dodge This! and some of the hybrid solo beasts that were posted, I'm trying a hybrid glass cannon with 2 party members

almost at the end of Act 1. I'm worried I may hit a wall later, but so far this has been a fun mix of combat, stealth and talking. It's not hard at all, but I have plenty of meta knowledge to pad out the skill checks.

Going to overclock INT to 10 so I can tag electronics, next feat is Opportunist to get those sweet sweet reaction shots. Companions are purely for combat, I'm trying to handle all skill checks on the MC, although biology is not going to keep up. I also think that rifles may have been better for a reaction / crit build, but we'll see. I'm a bit concerned about damage later.

Looking forward to double crossing Braxton with Mercy. Hopefully 5 sneak + cloaking is enough to take out the black hand fort.

kgCWwsA.jpg

edit: some of the most fun I've had is encounters that I start with sneaking, taking out a few mooks to get that sneak LP, and then engage in combat. I never played CS that way before, and it's rewarding. Rewarding, AND supports the LP needed for a hybrid char

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Hopefully 5 sneak + cloaking is enough to take out the black hand fort.
did it with 6, no feats and no device, so likely. Its easy if you can open elevator. Good call on going full sneak in black fort but im not sure if you can get it to 7 for all the opportunities out in habitat.
Let me know

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
A "glass canon" with armor tag? I think you could get by and later switch fully to cloak.
wasnt playing with party but now im curious. If you have a sniper with cloak, can he stay invisible for whole fight at range?

agris

Arcane
Patron
A "glass canon" with armor tag? I think you could get by and later switch fully to cloak.
you know how armor works in this game, even a char with armor tagged is not going to last long under fire unless built for it.

Zanzoken

Arcane
edit: some of the most fun I've had is encounters that I start with sneaking, taking out a few mooks to get that sneak LP, and then engage in combat. I never played CS that way before, and it's rewarding. Rewarding, AND supports the LP needed for a hybrid char

Even if you don't assassinate anyone, I think it is always superior to start an encounter by sneaking. Allows you to position your party manually instead of having to start in a tiny doombox with all the enemies surrounding you.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Even if you don't assassinate anyone, I think it is always superior to start an encounter by sneaking. Allows you to position your party manually instead of having to start in a tiny doombox with all the enemies surrounding you.
yeah, except when it isn't.

case in point, I just whacked Hargrave. If you start that encounter by sneaking, he has his energy weapon and will use the cells. Talk to him first, pass an easy persuasion check and he tosses you the fully loaded gun, after which you can merc him.

Or the captured deacon in the pit, one of the first quests you get there. starting that encounter from sneaking is worse positioning for a party than otherwise. lots of counterpoints where you're right though, which just means it isn't an absolute but is something that is true on a case by case basis

Modron

Arcane
Let's not forget every person you kill from stealth just raises stealth and critical strike so you might be hobbling your ability to hit with lower weapon skills, ability to dodge and wear heavier armor when it comes time to engage in a handful of fights you can't talk/stealth/computer/electronics your way out of.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Let's not forget every person you kill from stealth just raises stealth and critical strike so you might be hobbling your ability to hit with lower weapon skills, ability to dodge and wear heavier armor when it comes time to engage in a handful of fights you can't talk/stealth/computer/electronics your way out of.

Learn-by-doing

:gd:

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
A little bit of meta knowledge I would like:

I'm about to go through the factory. There's a warning that once I do stuff will change. I have all four lads (unless there are more than I missed - if so don't let on). I've done almost all the optional battles around (eg the little fights in rooms). But I am struggling with the chocolate starfish in Hydroponics. Will it be waiting for me when I get back or should I take it now? It's a cool fight, but I want to know whether I should dump more time into it or wait until it becomes more achieveable.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Will it be waiting for me when I get back or should I take it now? It's a cool fight, but I want to know whether I should dump more time into it or wait until it becomes more achieveable.
it will be gone. It doesnt have anything cool, you will instead be fighting with many of its brothers.
tips: firefighter helmet, energy armor, apply bleeding if possible, use energy weapons

case in point, I just whacked Hargrave. If you start that encounter by sneaking, he has his energy weapon and will use the cells. Talk to him first, pass an easy persuasion check and he tosses you the fully loaded gun, after which you can merc him.
you can sneak kill everyone in there without engaging combat, hargrave included

counter point: my everything hybrid that didnt have any combat tag and still managed to get any fight of my choice done. You just need to play around it, like using highly accurate weapon

Or the captured deacon in the pit, one of the first quests you get there. starting that encounter from sneaking is worse positioning for a party than otherwise
i fail to see why starting combat with your squad already behind cover, the only cover in that area is worse?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
you can sneak kill everyone in there without engaging combat, hargrave included

speaking of which i ran into a funny 'feature' there that prevented me from shanking everyone in stealth

namely, I didn't have enough AP to kill all the dudes immediately at the energy gate in one turn, but I could kill enough to stay in green tiles, and the dead dudes were also in green tiles

... except that one of them partially ragdolled into a yellow tile on death with his head, which always started combat on the next turn, and there was nothing I could do about that :prosper:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom