Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship Update #51: Early Access on April 6th

agris

Arcane
Patron
Do you create the portraits Nick?

Nick

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
No, I'm a programmer. Coding in frame flipping for portrait animations would be trivial, the problem is art. Those are mighty fine portraits, but drawing them really takes time. Adding one emotion (like pain on attack), given that it's just one frame, would double that time, thus the idea seems crazy.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Sure, that’s self evident. You have 4 portraits, for example, and if each has 3 additional state frames, that’s an increase of 12 portraits for a total of 16. It’s an exponential increase in art demands.

I do wonder if there could be a prototyping process wherein portions of the portrait are identified to be impacted by states, such that only portions of a portrait need to be modified. For example, the mouth and eyes tend convey the most emotion. Your portrait artist could take the existing portrait, mask an area around the mouth and eyes, and modify those portions.

I get that y’all aren’t AAA and can’t throw money into animating cock rings swaying in the wind, I’m just spitballing in advocacy of a legitimately cool feature (portrait animation) from the older-style games that ITS draws significant inspiration from.

Nick

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It would also cause diminishing returns to kick in. An expression of pain leaves little to the imagination, because humans react to pain in similar ways, with the rare exception of masochists. So it is with most other expressions of outright emotion. Therefore conditional portraits would by definition be less expressive than the portrait of a person as they are.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Alpan have you ever played a game with animated portraits that resulted in the theoretical concern that you laid out?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I do wonder if there could be a prototyping process wherein portions of the portrait are identified to be impacted by states, such that only portions of a portrait need to be modified. For example, the mouth and eyes tend convey the most emotion. Your portrait artist could take the existing portrait, mask an area around the mouth and eyes, and modify those portions.
Facial expressions don't work like that, you can't realistically portray a change in mood just by modifying eyes and mouth, people aren't emojis.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Alpan have you ever played a game with animated portraits that resulted in the theoretical concern that you laid out?

I think you might have misunderstood, the concern is not about my possible experience with the game as a player -- I may or may not enjoy the additional portraits, it depends on the portraits. I'm not making a claim about that (To answer your queston, I did play quite a few games with the kind of portraits you are envisioning, but don't recall an occasion where the fact they were alternating felt good, or bad, to me). I was looking at it from the perspective of the game developer.

Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
2Sb5sgH.png

jackofshadows

Magister
Coding in frame flipping for portrait animations would be trivial, the problem is art. Those are mighty fine portraits, but drawing them really takes time. Adding one emotion (like pain on attack), given that it's just one frame, would double that time, thus the idea seems crazy.
Slight alteration for a new frame is hardly the same as creating a new one from scrach.

In any case, portrait's animation seems an odd idea to me since the whole game is made with UE, i.e. 3d all over, no art backdrops etc. Even slight alterations like for wounded/near death seem to be redundant.

ADL

Prophet
Unwanted

Savecummer

Latest Doxxer Account
Edgy
surely it would be easy with this sort of technology?
y would it be easy? it looks like garbage
now add high res and you are cooking not with gas...
latest photoshop has faceid and minor expression changes, it works alright, i would say
imo, it would work to generate colonyshit highres portraits with minor smiles, but they would be generic "happy smile"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom