Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colorful stylized graphics in games - Americans vs Europeans vs Japanese

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh yeah, Tolkien's watercolour illustrations are glorious. I purchased an art book featuring his art last year, I really love his style. But he still very much uses pastel colours.

oIgxQmV.png

oiicWhb.png

cLWY6Wr.png

Btw, I'm not quite sure why many "colourful" games look like crap. I've just done a quick search for "fantasy landscape" on ArtStation and clicked randomly on some colourful results, and look what I found. These are very vivid and colourful but still look good; I wouldn't call them garish.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OyxmXv
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aO44z
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g2y6XG

Shots are called by art directors, and in general, by investors. Project leaders might have something to say as well. None of the people calling the shots in game making have taste, but that's a given, engineers rarely have any taste or culture at all.

Viata

Arcane
Dragon Quests and Final Fantasies as other japanese foundational examples were inspired by western Crpgs, (early Wizardrys and specially first Ultimas), but not directly by "D&D" original source or any other P&P rpgs "local trend" influence. D&D and P&P rpgs in general were never truly popular in Japan, not remotely at anglosphere or continental european levels.
Final Fantasy is well known to be inspired by D&D, though. We even know something like this from the team that made FF3:
One opinion you hear a lot about RPGs, is “if there aren’t distinct roles/classes, it’s not an RPG”. And it’s true that many of our staff love those tabletop games like D&D, and some of them feel that way themselves.
source: https://shmuplations.com/shortcuts/

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Shots are called by art directors, and in general, by investors. Project leaders might have something to say as well. None of the people calling the shots in game making have taste, but that's a given, engineers rarely have any taste or culture at all.
If I had to make a game, full artistic freedom or go home.

If I had to make a game, full artistic freedom or go home.
I agree, to an extent. You don't want the inmates to run the asylum. But a certain sense of independence is needed in the genre, I'd say. Innovation is discouraged in game development as a whole, imo.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If we are talking about vydia, we have long since passed the era of shit brown or vomit color filters and everything is indeed super colorful now, but it's only another form of cancer as the color schemes are inspired by mobile game aesthetics. Even games that should be grim and dark now look pastel for some fucking reason. Like Doom Eternal which looks more bright and colorful than Doom 2016, to the detriment of the setting.

Original Doom may have been full of colors but i don't recall it as being kiddie looking like this mobile game fad.

Gerrard

Arcane
There's a reason why Berserk never became a huge hit in Japan, at least in the same scale that other manga have, and also why Berserk is more popular sales wise outside of Japan than inside of it. Miura said that the "Tolkien club", a term he used to describe the western fantasy fandom, was made out of a dozen people in the entire country.
Uh-huh, I'm sure the fact that Berserk was on hiatus for 95% of the last 15 years had nothing to do with its popularity.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
We are living in the "oversaturation" age. Just check your photos on any mobile device and then compare it with reality.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
American color palette (colors!) and a European color palette (drab and dreary, just like what they're used to in their lives)

i33gj32f95i21.png

fj2aevh1gkd01.png

Compare-boxart.png

And the classic
Difference_Harry_Potter_Philosophers_and_Sorcerers_1200x640.png

because the publishers feared americans are too dumb to know what a philosopher stone is, and would just think its some school teacher thing

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Since we're going offtopic and everybody is posting random shit, here we go:

The C64 palette is the most glorious of all, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a man of no taste or refinement whatsoever.

:smug:

OKQDbHn.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
We are living in the "oversaturation" age. Just check your photos on any mobile device and then compare it with reality.

People buying wide gamut screens and companies putting that shit on phones without understanding what it does to sRGB content is probably training thousands of normies to think over saturated colors are "normal".

It's not just screens. There's no issues when it comes to coloring now that the only limit is your screen's resolution. You don't have to worry how it's going to look like in the master copy, and even less about how it's going to appear in the reproductions. It's always going to look the same, and you are not a slave to the CMYK setting unless you voluntarily replicate it with your software.

Derringer

Prophet
A Samsung phone I tried out years ago had oversaturated colors so I figured that oled screens were just oversaturated from the factory to make them look more vivid. You have more control over the colors with a shader hooker either way and I wouldn't think you'd get that on phones unless the rom had support for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom